Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

Please HELP! Newly Purchased TT

Hi There, I am an RV Newbie... We just purchased our first TT TODAY! (2011 Viewfinder 24') It has been well cared for but has spent its life exposed to the weather in Phoenix. Now that we are home, I am somewhat worried about a couple things.
First, the "wallpaper" has bubbles and appears to be separating from the wallboard. The previous owners explained that this was due to the heat. I did not think it was that great a problem since I am a Do-it-Yourselfer. After searching the internet, people have said it can be a really big problem (next to impossible) to remove and replace the paper (it is actually a vinyl sticky-paper). Has anyone tried this?
Also, even though the owner waxed the skin yearly, the exterior has sun damage and the decals are bleached. Are the decals replaceable?
Thank you so much for your help.
Sharon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Sharon, Search some of the forums and you'll get answers to your questions I'm sure. Enjoy your purchase and have safe travels.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Hey there Sharon, I am not sure how much help I can be but I am going from past readings on this and that regarding RV's. I am good around the house as far as projects, remodeling, electrical, plumbing etc.

My findings have been that RV's are in many ways very comparable to a stick built home. I have watched many remodels of a RV in which people purchase a old or rough RV and they want to bring it alive. Then comes the remodel and the end result is amazing.

I do not see any reason why the wallpaper could not be removed via a heat gun, scorer and or utility blades. I was first going to suggest priming and painting over the wallpaper until you said it was very bubbled up. I personally can not stand wallpaper and even in a home wallpaper is a real pain to remove. Being that it is separating from the board is a good thing because it may come right off with little effort.

Typically the factory decals are vinyl. Vinyl is removed much like the wallpaper. I once had a 6x10 enclosed trailer which I had a full vinyl wrap done on the trailer meaning all 4 sides. I sold my company leaving me with this trailer which I sold. Prior to the sale I used a heat gun and a plastic scraper to remove the wrap.

I am sure you could do that same procedure however I would have a local RV dealer uninstall the old skin as well as replace with the new. You can absolutely replace the decals. However this is a great time to create a design of your own. Adding selected colors, stripes, shapes etc. I am not sure how in depth a dealer will go above ordering a factory skin. You can go to a vinyl company who can create your vision, create the new design and turning it into the actual wrap for your RV. Most vinyl companies will install the vinyl on your rig. If you want the original look with a clean bright factory set of vinyls then do some phone home work to find a dealer that can and will order them for you then installing.

I may be way off on the wallpaper but like I said I have seen it done many times. Also look on Pinterest. There are a lot of RV renovations on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona RV View Post
Hi There, I am an RV Newbie... We just purchased our first TT TODAY! (2011 Viewfinder 24') It has been well cared for but has spent its life exposed to the weather in Phoenix. Now that we are home, I am somewhat worried about a couple things.
First, the "wallpaper" has bubbles and appears to be separating from the wallboard. The previous owners explained that this was due to the heat. I did not think it was that great a problem since I am a Do-it-Yourselfer. After searching the internet, people have said it can be a really big problem (next to impossible) to remove and replace the paper (it is actually a vinyl sticky-paper). Has anyone tried this?
Also, even though the owner waxed the skin yearly, the exterior has sun damage and the decals are bleached. Are the decals replaceable?
Thank you so much for your help.
Sharon
Old 03-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #4

Old 03-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Sharon! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Sorry I can't offer advice on the problems! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #6

Just wanted to add my sincere welcome to the forum. Wishing you happy travels.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #7

Welcome Sharon!
BethV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

Sharon I would really double check to make sure that you do not have a roof leak at the seams. As far as fixing the wall you may try putting if you put holes in where the bubbles are out and inserting some Elmer's Glue and pressing it down or maybe just reskin the wall with a thin covering of some sort check with your local lumber yards they may have something. Iona 2011 Fun Finder Little X 210 I love the thing I am sure you will definitely enjoy that viewfinder I do like the layouts of those things. And welcome... :-)
Old 03-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #9

Thanks Everyone!

Thank you everyone for your welcomes and for your inputs.

Buying a used TT is kind of like buying a used car... maybe more risky. We are hoping that we can get the cosmetic things repaired without opening a big can of worms...

We have decided to go ahead with the purchase and we pick it up tomorrow. We can't wait to get camping!

Since we are RV newbies, I know we have a lot to learn and I am sure we will have more questions. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2016, 06:52 AM   #10

I was going to suggest pricking the bubbles and pushing them down to see if they hold. Your idea is much better, though. I've also seen a remodel where a splash board was made using sticky tile. Not bubble related by it could come in handy if the wall around the stove is less than pretty.

Irene
PrimoWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #11

A hot iron might soften the adhesive and allow the wallpaper to reattach. I've seen it done with wood veneer.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fix-bub...nyl-40944.html

No guarantees.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:44 AM   #12

My Plans for the Bubbling Wallpaper

We got our TT home and after a closer inspection of the wallpaper, the problem is much worse than we thought. In places it is totally separating from the wall. The Phoenix heat has made the vinyl paper literally crunchy dry. The luaun board under the paper has absorbed most/all of the glue. I think the wall covering that was installed is like a contact paper... the stuff I used to line my kitchen shelves and drawers many many years ago. We are going to strip all of the walls and then prime and paint and put up new wallpaper. I am researching just what kind to get. I have ordered some samples and I will play with (torture) them to see what seems to hold up best. Once the wallpaper and the backsplash (Smart Tiles) are done, the interior will be like new. Everything else inside is in super shape. There is no sign of any past or present water intrusion at all.
My husband is working on the outside restoring the fiberglass panels and removing the faded and cracking graphics. We will then find a new set of graphics, probably not identical to the originals. We also need to get new tires, new battery, and do some re-caulking... THEN we will be ready to roll!!!
I think my husband is thinking that we should have purchased a new trailer with a warranty. Actually he is very happy so far and so am I. We are bonding... right?
Sharon
Old 03-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #13

Welcome !!! Our first TT, one we were severely miss lead on it's condition, and the rebuilding process was a (now) great experience. Now with the knowledge i have gained making that piece junk roadwothy, still would have it except for the large amount or rot in the framework, i knew every part of that thing !!!

Enjoy the process, makes it truly yours !!

Jim & Pat
Old 03-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #14

The best way to remove the decals is as follows: Go to local hardware store and buy a 3M decal erasing wheel with drill mandrel. Attach to a portable drill and move the erasing wheel back and forth over decal. Will remove without scratching the trailers skin. Better than a heat gun and scraper. I have removed several decals this way. Only issue will be where the decal was, the sun could have faded the skin where the decal was might show.

Good luck and welcome.

Tags
purchase