Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #43

Those are what hold the window in......they screw into the outer frame, and create a pinch to hold it in....the butyl rubber would go around the inside of outside frame, then flatten out to seal, when the inner frame is reinstalled...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #44
Jey

Today’s update

https://youtu.be/7PoujMpn5_g
Jey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:00 PM   #45

Moving right along!....Commode should be easy to pull out....the unit in the bottom of that cabinet is the converter.....make sure you really mark that good also, after unplugging the landline if it's plugged in to the house or shop.......should be enough length in the wiring to pull the screws that hold it in place, then pull it far enough out for easy access to the back...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #46

Humm, the water tank drained into the trailer??? If that happened, which I do not understand, you guys need help. Anyone you know that also owns a trailer? If so, maybe consult with them. For the life of me I do not understand how that happened...but I guess it is possible since you guys did it.

Anyway you are making great progress. Again, even if nothing was wrong with the trailer you guys will be able to improve it beyond new from the factory. Again residential counter tops, and cabinets are much better and now you get to pick out all brand new stuff. It will go back together fast and great news the problem was not with the roof.

Good luck from this point forward.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #47
Jey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Humm, the water tank drained into the trailer??? If that happened, which I do not understand, you guys need help. Anyone you know that also owns a trailer? If so, maybe consult with them. For the life of me I do not understand how that happened...but I guess it is possible since you guys did it.
Not the water tank, The water heater. The cold water line busted off the back of the water heater, Spilling what water was still inside the tank onto the floor.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:13 AM   #48

Hope you came to the end of the water damage and are now starting to put things back together. There are a lot of places to buy replacement parts like Lowes and Home Depot. There is nothing wrong with putting in residential counters/tops/cabinets. Actually it is better than the cheaper items they used originally.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #49

You will know more about your TT when you are done than anyone, including the manufacturer. The water leak may be as old as the trailer, from the looks of things. Best of luck on your project and climbing the learning curve of repair work.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:54 PM   #50

Any new video? Hope things are going back together and looking better as each thing is being rebuilt.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #51
Jey

Hey guys!

Here is my latest video

https://youtu.be/rf-ppo_MoDo
Old 04-05-2019, 01:52 AM   #52

For the mis-measured window frame can you just add more wood to make the opening smaller instead of re-framing the whole window?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #53
Jey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
For the mis-measured window frame can you just add more wood to make the opening smaller instead of re-framing the whole window?
I thought about that but it shifted every measurement down so the measurements at the bottom for the “luggage door” are incorrect as well. I’m thinking of using some strong ties this time to add a little strength to certain areas
Old 04-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #54

Hope the re-framing is going good and you are feeling good about the rebuild. I bet you are learning a lot of practical things. When you get do you will be 'One' with this travel trailer.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #55

Your doing a great job locating your trouble spots. Finding the source of water damage can be the hardest part of the repair. I think that it's great that your taking this project by the horns and doing well. Kudos to dad too!
There has been a lot of good advice, especially about not worrying about how long it's taking and concentrate on doing it correctly and doing it once.
So, as you have found out water is the enemy when it comes to TT's. The good part is that there are lots of sources for info on sealing your trailer.

One thing that I have to disagree with is using the Dicore products. To me it a "hobby shop" type product. It dries up in just a few years and has to be done over and over and gets so messy it's impossible to tell if its sealing or not. You want to use a Commercial Grade Sealant whenever you seal anything.

There is a You tube video channel called RV Roof Install. They do RV roofs the right way.
They are using all commercial grade roofing products that are made to last 20 years or more. Rubber roof products that are used on commercial buildings like restaurants, high rises, and government buildings.

Watching their videos will give you a lot of insight on what to look for when resealing your trailer.
They also recommend a STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE SEALANT called CHEMLINK M1 for any roof repairs. Look in the ROOFING section of Lowes or home improvement centers, NOT
the caulking section
There is another commercial roofer that recommended a product called Sika Flex that's a commercial product that also has a self leveling version. I have used it on my roof when I installed my Fantastic Fan and it works very well. It has been used for years on commercial bldg's. to seal windows and roofs.

So, just my $.02 about sealants. Good luck with your project and have fun camping!

PS, NEVER, EVER use silicone.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #56
Jey

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Today we completely tore out the incorrect framing and installed the correct measurements.Window slid in snug as well as the luggage door. I found a couple sets of the “radius window corner blocks” on eBay so I ordered a few sizes hoping one will be the correct size. The ones we took out of the window corners came out sloppy due to the staples in them.

Are we going to have to take the metal siding off panel by panel to re-staple it back to the wall frame?

Regarding the roof sealant I will definitely be checking into that.

I’m still confused about the Eternabond tape on whether or not I take off the old caulking and put the new on and cover that with Eternabond tape or if I should be taking the old caulking off and cover with a Eternabond and then just sealing around the edges of the Eternabond?

I gotta start watching more videos about it because the last person to do it made such a mess from the side/front/back seams all the way up to the roof. I’m afraid mine will come out sloppy as well

Once we get this floor ripped out and put the new one in I’m going to be able to be more relaxed about the whole situation. Walking into that trailer can be very overwhelming looking at everything that needs to be fixed. But I know we’ve come a long way. I looked back at some photos of when we started and I remember thinking there was no way I could clear the trailer of all the furniture and pieces but we definitely did.

I’m thinking of ditching the original dinette cushions and getting shorter ones so we can build smaller dinette benches. We don’t really need them as big as they were before and it would clear up hallway space

Tags
water, water damage