Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Forest River Owners Club
Plug in

Hi everybody, I have a 2011 Grey wolf trailer and im wondering if it is okay to plug the trailer in while not in use. Im assuming once the batteries are charged they will stop charging. Right now Im plugging in for 2 weeks and then unplugging for 2 weeks. Thanks Ian

woody62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Depends on which converter you have and which battery type. (I looked at the trailer specs and they don't say). I would bet that it has a WAFCO or Progressive Dynamics multi stage charger and deep cycle led acid battery.
If it has a AGM battery you do not need to plug it in to charge until a day or so before you will use it unless there are phantom/vampire loads and there should be a disconnect switch to kill those.
If it has conventional led acid batteries you will need to pug it in periodically and monitor water level in the battery.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If your converter is made by Progressive Dynamics and is a model number 91XX (XX is the amperage), you will need the Charge Wizard accessory (only around $25-$30) for it to function as a multi-stage charger. If your model number is 92XX, the Charge Wizard function is built into the converter. Our 5th wheel was built with a PD9180 to which I immediately added a Charge Wizard.

Can't comment on the WAFCO - I'm not familiar with it.

If all you have is a single-output converter, you can boil your lead acid batteries dry and ruin them in very little time (as little as a week) if you leave it plugged in.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
plug in

Hi I have the Wold friendship co LTD converter WF -8955 and deep cycle batteries. Ian
woody62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Hello all and thanks for the help in advance. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am dealing with exactly the same issues. I have a new trailer with two group 24 golf cart batteries and also have been doing the plug unplug routine. I have a WIFCO 8955PEC converter/ charger. What is a PEC? I can't find any specs. I would like to leave it plugged in full time.
rvrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
As mentioned previously, you need to find the specs and determine if the converter/charger is multi-stage or not. If it's a single stage you will boil the water out of the batteries, I speak from experience. A good multi-stage will provide a higher current charge if you have lots of lites on or the batteries are low, As the demand decreases the current will cut back and once there is no load it will drop back again to more of a trickle charge to keep the batteries topped off. But you still need to check the water (if conventional lead/acid) level once in a while.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
WFCO Chargers

From another Forum...

A quick search on Google and then WFCO's website found the spec sheet for this unit.

It is a 55amp conveter/charger, as suspected there is no inverter built in and it is a 3 stage charger. You're good to go. This should do a great job of keeping up your batteries in storage. You still need to be sure to check the fluid level in the batteries at least once a month if left plugged in.

I found all the Spec Docs here. Note the correct Company name of WFCO - very well known - if that's part of the search issue...

+WFCO - New world of power ideas - WFCO Information Center

Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote