Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #15

[QUOTE=kayakcrazy;2157763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
So why can't you have satelite in your home and then just take the reciever with you on the road?

Thanks for the link. We have seriously considered the dish but are only 23 months away from both being retired. Our plans are to sell our present house and move out of this place and live part time in our Timber Ridge and part time in a warmer place. Next summer will be our last summer having a full time house. Getting a dish now would mean drilling holes into new stucco and besides we like our present cable provider (they also pay my retirement cheque each month). We only camp about 8 weekends a year so it hardly pays upsetting everything for 16 days of camping. I posted the poor reception to see if others are having the same issues and have found an easy fix. Our old trailer had better reception so may consider going with that set up (like Idahobob suggested just change the antenna). We have very few digital providers and covering this big of an area there was bound to be people like me. We're not huge television watchers over the summer (winter hockey is different ) Our most favourite time to camp is the last two weeks in August and all of September. Crowds are smaller, night sky more spectacular and the first frost has done the mosquitos in for another year.
OK gotcha, yea i think a directional antenna would help you isolate signals much better, and essentially give you better range.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #16

We usually camp in the national forests and have no tv, no cell service either. We bring the laptops to watch movies at night. Otherwise it is enjoying nature or books.

Csillybug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Original Antenna: Winegard Batwing (Sensar ii or iii)
First mod: Wingman: Decent improvement
Second mod: Sensar Pro indoor module (MAJOR improvement)

Antenna feeds a pair of Digital Video recorders so shows on at say 3AM can be watched at say 9AM when I'm awake to watch them.

DVRs chat with each other (And the computers in the house) so you know those "Only ____ lets you record in one room, watch in another bla bla bla"... I do it and have for over a decade.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #18

While scanning for TV channels, turn off all LED lamps. Some of these lamps can interfere with reception.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks Lynnmor for the heads up. We have one lamp in our trailer which isn't LED so we won't have to watch television in the dark. Found this on the Internet LED lights & TV Interference | ACMA
Old 03-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #20

Just got back from a 2 month trip to AZ and had poor tv reception in our 260rls in the desert. IIRC, I think the reception was better in our old Terry with the crank up and rotate the antenna.
How major of a job is it to replace the antenna with the old kind? I'd assume it would be major as you'd have to drill a hole in the ceiling for the crank.
Talked to another camper who had a Tailgator satellite system available for Direct or Dish. Looked promising but am unsure if it would work with our 12v systems. I think he had to be hooked to shore power.
Larv
Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know the antenna's on the timberridge does not have the range the old crank up on my 2000 did! Sad a new unit does not work better or at least as good. I have been considering changing it out for the old crank up., Another upgrade to a new rv
Mtn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #22

If you really want better OTA tv reception, then swap what you have for a Winegard Sensar IV along with the Sensar Pro control module. You can't do better in regards to RV type antennas.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If you really want better OTA tv reception, then swap what you have for a Winegard Sensar IV along with the Sensar Pro control module. You can't do better in regards to RV type antennas.
Two years ago with my prior Northwood/Arctic Fox rig, I felt pretty good about my rotatable Jack antenna with the "stock" antenna amplifier.

Wildtoad, do you have data to back up your experience, our is it just your "impression or feeling"? Not that there is anything wrong with the latter. Being an engineer, before I make significant changes to our new rig, I'd like to base those changes on "data". Thanks!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:45 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many Antennas they put on RV's.. The best is a full blown Winegard Sensar system consisting of a Sensar IV and a Sensar Pro

If you have the Sensar II or III you can add the Wingman and the Sensar Pro.

This is the best LONG range system. What follows applies to all directional antennas.

To Aim NOT using the sensar pro or the King Controls device that fits around the knob.

Turn on TV and raise antenna,,, Turn antenna to one extreme (Turn to stop) scan for channels on the TV.. Turn 45 or 90 degrees,, and re-scan

Keep doing this over and over till you get to the other stop

Note which direction gave you the most stations.. Return to it, re-scan, pick one station and go to signal strength Peak same, and re-scan one last time.

Using the Sensar Pro Turn for highest number in the upper indicator

Using king controls...Read the manual.. (More complex but basically it is turn to light as many LEDs as possible, attuneuate till the last one flashes and try to make it steady again with the directional control.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are many Antennas they put on RV's.. The best is a full blown Winegard Sensar system consisting of a Sensar IV and a Sensar Pro

If you have the Sensar II or III you can add the Wingman and the Sensar Pro.

This is the best LONG range system. What follows applies to all directional antennas.

To Aim NOT using the sensar pro or the King Controls device that fits around the knob.

Turn on TV and raise antenna,,, Turn antenna to one extreme (Turn to stop) scan for channels on the TV.. Turn 45 or 90 degrees,, and re-scan

Keep doing this over and over till you get to the other stop

Note which direction gave you the most stations.. Return to it, re-scan, pick one station and go to signal strength Peak same, and re-scan one last time.

Using the Sensar Pro Turn for highest number in the upper indicator

Using king controls...Read the manual.. (More complex but basically it is turn to light as many LEDs as possible, attuneuate till the last one flashes and try to make it steady again with the directional control.
With the internet these days and basically a database for everything. You can use an app on your phone or web browser to find the local nearest stations. I use TV Antenna Helper linked below which finds my GPS location, finds all the nearest stations, and tells you which direction to point the antenna. It even uses your phones internal compass to show you which direction. I honestly don't think the sensar pro is necessary if you have a smartphone on hand. Any directional antenna will work, they're all better than omni-directional antennas which i've found never to work well outside of major cities and their suburbs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...per.free&hl=en
Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Concur added the wingman ad sensor pro to our old winegard antenna and get beaucoup stations where we previously received none
Old 03-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
....Wildtoad, do you have data to back up your experience, our is it just your "impression or feeling"? Not that there is anything wrong with the latter. Being an engineer, before I make significant changes to our new rig, I'd like to base those changes on "data". Thanks!

Bob
As an engineer, you will appreciate this post from SCVJeff on the Sensar with and without the Wingman vs the Jack. The Sensar IV is the Sensar with the Wingman built in.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
As an engineer, you will appreciate this post from SCVJeff on the Sensar with and without the Wingman vs the Jack. The Sensar IV is the Sensar with the Wingman built in.
Fantastic! Many thanks for this link! Now all I need is for some other Outdoors RV owner to install a "conventional" crank up batwing antenna and show me how to do it! ..

Bob

IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
television