Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Poor television reception

2013 Timber Ridge 260RLS has virtually no television reception other than the two major cities here in this province and am wondering what others are doing. We don't watch much television except for the news and weather but are coming to a time in our life where the grandkids will be travelling with us occasionally. We cannot get our home cable by satellite although we have heard rumours that it maybe offered though the Internet in the near future. Have any of you added equipment to boost the digital signal. I have done a little reading and understand that this new digital system is either you have it or you don't.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #2

My TT has an booster and it get about 40 channels anywhere I go. Maybe your booster isn't on? Should be behind your TV, and you should see a red light showing it's on.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #3

You would need to tell us what antenna you have now. A "booster" will not do anything but overcome the slight amount of signal loss in the cable.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The antenna is a Maximum CA-2500. The amplifier is on. I've dug out our old camper's television and when we go camping next time I will try that television (it is a 110V rather than the 12V in my present trailer). Will update you after our next outing.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
2013 Timber Ridge 260RLS has virtually no television reception other than the two major cities here in this province and am wondering what others are doing. We don't watch much television except for the news and weather but are coming to a time in our life where the grandkids will be travelling with us occasionally. We cannot get our home cable by satellite although we have heard rumours that it maybe offered though the Internet in the near future. Have any of you added equipment to boost the digital signal. I have done a little reading and understand that this new digital system is either you have it or you don't.
I would start by verifying that all your coax fittings are making good connection. This was one of the first things I did when I got our trailer home. I found two of the screw on connectors had the shielding of the wire touching the center conductor of the coax. This causes a short or ground and makes for a bad picture. You will want to replace the fittings with some quality snap and seals to be sure you have and approved digital connection. I also pulled the head on the roof and did those as well. It even made for a better FM signal on the radio since the stereo uses that antenna for AM and FM. While I had the head off I also made some shims to put under the mounting screws of the head, for the head was loose and would rattle in the wind.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 PM   #6

Sorry to bring you the bad news, we're near Medicine Hat and are having the same issue. When we are within 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour from Edmonton or Calgary we can watch whatever channel we want but here in the Hat it's CTV Lethbridge and Chat News Medicine Hat (Garbage), in the Cypress Hills it is CBC Regina at best and nothing else. You know there is nothing but 4 hours of gophers and dust between the Hat and Regina so why would any TV broadcaster bother.
You probably have two options: 1. Buy a satellite dish and an expensive monthly subscription for the limited time you use it, or 2. do what we do use the data plan on your cell phone to watch tv. I have a BlackBerry Z10 (iPhone or Android phones should work to) that I connect to the tv with an HDMI cable and use my browser or a tv app to stream any channel. The only caveat is, you can download as much as 1 GB of data in an hour, so a solid data plan would be good to have, I have 6GB/month with Bell and every GB above costs me $10, you are probably with SaskTel so you might want to check out whether a 'pay as you go' plan would work. The side benefit would be that you can use the cell phone as wifi hub to browse the web and check e-mail on the computer.
I figure, before I buy the equipment and pay $100 per month for a subscription I'd rather use my cell phone to watch live tv, youtube, Netflix or whatever.

Edit: I forgot, your tv might a scan feature that looks for available channels but that only works if there are any.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #7

I would get a directional antenna, the CA2500 you listed is an omni-directional. Directional antenna's typically have 2-3 times the range of omni-directional antennas, although you may not see as much gain because there is very little noise, interference, and multipath distortion where you're at. But, the directional antenna will still give you more range.

Also, try finding stations with the amplifier on and off, and if it has a gain setting, try it at different gain levels. In my experience, i only use an amplifier to compensate for long wire runs. It's also stupid to place the amplifier close to the tv, the amplifier should be placed as close to the antenna as physically possible. Think of it this way, if you have a weak signal at the antenna, then run it through a long cable which can pick up noise, and has resistance in the cable which will weaken the signal on the other end of it. Then place an amplifier on it, you are essentially amplifying the weakest signal possible, whereas it's better to amplify a strong signal at the antenna and send a nice strong signal through the lines.

From the (install guide) of your antenna, i'm not sure what to think. It shows "amplified signal" coming from the antenna, but i don't see any power wires running to the antenna itself, just the wall plate. Makes me think the amplifier is in the wall plate and not the antenna itself.

I use a program called "TV Antenna Helper Free" on my phone, it works beautifully. Click on "Recommend Antennas" and choose the closest stations to you. It will tell you which direction to point the antenna and which ones will come in nice and strong. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...per.free&hl=en
Old 07-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
I would get a directional antenna, the CA2500 you listed is an omni-directional. Directional antenna's typically have 2-3 times the range of omni-directional antennas, although you may not see as much gain because there is very little noise, interference, and multipath distortion where you're at. But, the directional antenna will still give you more range.

Also, try finding stations with the amplifier on and off, and if it has a gain setting, try it at different gain levels. In my experience, i only use an amplifier to compensate for long wire runs. It's also stupid to place the amplifier close to the tv, the amplifier should be placed as close to the antenna as physically possible. Think of it this way, if you have a weak signal at the antenna, then run it through a long cable which can pick up noise, and has resistance in the cable which will weaken the signal on the other end of it. Then place an amplifier on it, you are essentially amplifying the weakest signal possible, whereas it's better to amplify a strong signal at the antenna and send a nice strong signal through the lines.

From the (install guide) of your antenna, i'm not sure what to think. It shows "amplified signal" coming from the antenna, but i don't see any power wires running to the antenna itself, just the wall plate. Makes me think the amplifier is in the wall plate and not the antenna itself.

I use a program called "TV Antenna Helper Free" on my phone, it works beautifully. Click on "Recommend Antennas" and choose the closest stations to you. It will tell you which direction to point the antenna and which ones will come in nice and strong. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...per.free&hl=en
I too am not 100% sold on our "omni" antenna and have thought about replacing it with the rotatable, "elevatable" Jack antenna that we had on our prior rig. I am holding off for another travel season to see if what we have really bothers us.

But I believe the Omni antenna our rigs come with provides an amplified signal from the rooftop location. Power is provided by the RG59 cable.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well we just got back from another weekend of camping. We were about an hour from home and we were able to pick up 2 digital channels (unfortunately both the same) and one very, very poor analogue channel. Saturday afternoon we were able to view three back to back episodes of "The Simpson's". Glad I had my books with me and was able to turn that off and read about the life of Chief Piapot and how he sat on the railroad tracks to stop the train (I've been to that location on the tracks as it was close to the farm). I was also able to give DW a class on playing Cribbage as I skunked her three games to zero .
At this point I think I'll wait till other options open up or the price comes down so we can afford to have both a system in the house and a different satellite system in the Timber Ridge.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No TV while camping? Bummer. I have my Seinfeld collection and a few others for those remote locations. No satellite, just DVD's. I also remember when camping meant 4 hours or more on a horse back to a remote stream. Things have changed.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Highway, I met my DW on one of those camping trips. First day was 25 miles on horseback through wide open prairie grass and a grand total of about three trees. Sleeping quarters were the great outdoors and our pillows were our saddles. Could never do it again as my legs may not come back together after being on a horse that many days.
We've already decided to increase our movie and book collection over the winter. I've also researched the history of my Uncle Isaac who was killed in action in Italy during the Second World War and I should get it down on paper so others can read it.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Love the 12 volt Tele and DVD player when dry camping.......I watched the same "Dora the Explorer " episode for 4 straight days. One of the niceties of having a 3 year old grandchild.

To my "Saskatobian " friends you can always watch your dog run away from home for 3 days before they are out of sight..

I hook up my Sat radio and listen to books on tape or" radio classics"... Nothing like hearing "Gun Smoke" with William Conrad as Matt Dillion....did I just age my self??

Coops
Lac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Well we just got back from another weekend of camping. We were about an hour from home and we were able to pick up 2 digital channels (unfortunately both the same) and one very, very poor analogue channel. Saturday afternoon we were able to view three back to back episodes of "The Simpson's". Glad I had my books with me and was able to turn that off and read about the life of Chief Piapot and how he sat on the railroad tracks to stop the train (I've been to that location on the tracks as it was close to the farm). I was also able to give DW a class on playing Cribbage as I skunked her three games to zero .
At this point I think I'll wait till other options open up or the price comes down so we can afford to have both a system in the house and a different satellite system in the Timber Ridge.
So why can't you have satelite in your home and then just take the reciever with you on the road?

here's an automatic satelite dish.
DISH Tailgater Satellite Antenna - King Controls VQ2500 - Satellite Antennas - Camping World
Old 07-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=gggplaya;2157608]So why can't you have satelite in your home and then just take the reciever with you on the road?

Thanks for the link. We have seriously considered the dish but are only 23 months away from both being retired. Our plans are to sell our present house and move out of this place and live part time in our Timber Ridge and part time in a warmer place. Next summer will be our last summer having a full time house. Getting a dish now would mean drilling holes into new stucco and besides we like our present cable provider (they also pay my retirement cheque each month). We only camp about 8 weekends a year so it hardly pays upsetting everything for 16 days of camping. I posted the poor reception to see if others are having the same issues and have found an easy fix. Our old trailer had better reception so may consider going with that set up (like Idahobob suggested just change the antenna). We have very few digital providers and covering this big of an area there was bound to be people like me. We're not huge television watchers over the summer (winter hockey is different ) Our most favourite time to camp is the last two weeks in August and all of September. Crowds are smaller, night sky more spectacular and the first frost has done the mosquitos in for another year.

Tags
television