Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Portable Generator

I have a question. I have a travel trailer that uses 30 amps. I will be headed out in a few weeks and want to stay overnight in my unit. I have a relatively new generator with a 20 amp hookup. I purchased the adapter. I only need to run the 13,500 BTU a/c with the generator. I will run the fridge and hot water heater on gas and will only use anything else if I turn the a/c off while doing so. Has anyone ever done this? I don't want to go out and purchase another generator unless I have to. My understanding is that I can do this but I wanted some input from those who have actually done so. Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I used to try to run one 13500 AC in my camper with a Honda 2000 watt generator. I had changed the start capacitor in the AC to a hard start unit. It was hit and miss with the generator. Sometimes it would run the AC, others, it would cut out when the AC tried to start. I finally bought a second Honda and hooked them together with the special kit so I had 4000 watts.

Looking back, the one variable on power load that I didn't consider back then, was the converter. Possible that running or not might have been the difference. It was worth it to me to have both generators, because when you want AC.......

Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

The generator has 6250 watts and 5000 running watts but unfortunately only has a 20 amp twist lock and not 30 amp. The 13,500 BTU uses about 17 amps on start up and runs on 12. At home I plug into the outside 20 amp plug and run the a/c with no problem. I just use an adapter on the end of the 30 amp cord that comes from the travel trailer. I have never tripped the breaker. I don't run anything else but the a/c while being plugged in at my home. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The short answer is "It might work"

Alas, for some it does, for some not so well. Depends on the A/C.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

THe honda 2000 generator is really around 1600watts continuous according to their website. For a regular 13,500btu AC you are going to need 1900watts continuous for cooling setting 2.

If you have a honda 2000 and like it for the size and quietness and reliability, you can probably swap your AC unit out for a coleman Mach PS 13,500 btu AC. This unit only take 1440watts on it's highest cooling setting so the HONDA EU2000i should be fine. However, the Mach PS unit takes longer to get the refrigerant to it's lowest temperature, maybe an extra 20-30minutes before it starts to really cool down your RV. Couple the honda eu2000 with an external 6 gallon tank and it'll cool down your rv for 24 hours no problem.

Here's a link to the Mach PS(power saver).
http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_doc.../mach_3_ps.pdf
Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #6

I'm good on the wattage on my generator. My concern was using a 20 amp twist lock with a 30 amp hook up on my RV. 20 amps should be sufficient just to run the a/c when we stop overnight on our trip until we arrive at our camping resort. This generator is almost new. Most come with 30 amp twist locks but this one did not. I never gave it any thought that I might someday need it for an overnight RV trip. I am going to put it on the back of my pick up and give it a try. 20 amps seems to be working fine at the house while parked in the driveway for a few days with the adapter on the end of the 30 amp cord. I'll have the fridge and hot water heater on gas.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will likely be ok - I am wondering how loud your generator is however...

Your neighbors will probably let you know.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

It's 65 decibels which unfortunately is not as quiet as a Honda. We plan to stop overnight at truck stops so we won't be in a campground.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Sorta strange a 50a generator would only have a 20a outlet, but I assume it has several. If it does, each should be protected by a 20a breaker.

I see no problem as your cord is 30a as is the coach. Any problem would show at the adapter or the generator. Which would be a tripped breaker. You would certainly not want to run other 120v items unless they were very low draw.

In the future, it wouldn't be difficult to remove all 20a outlets except one and leave protected with 20a breaker. Then add a 30a breaker and a 30a outlet. You of course would need to used a heavier gauge wire on the 30a circuit.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #10

clyon, not strange at all in the majority of gennies...here is why

most post their total output wattage...but that wattage is 2 legs of AC current...(actually 2 small gennies in 1...to make it simple)

that is why they don't have large amp outlet on many of the gennies
Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Oh I understand all that. That is why 5500w RV gennys have a 30 and 20 amp "legs" and breakers. Where my hangup was the OP said 6200w and only one 20a outlet....which would be strange. Having to assume his genny has two legs and only 20a outlets protected by 20a breakers, there still is a 10+ amp surplus that cannot be used. So I guess we would need to know the make and model and look at the manual.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nj1963 View Post
The generator has 6250 watts and 5000 running watts but unfortunately only has a 20 amp twist lock and not 30 amp. The 13,500 BTU uses about 17 amps on start up and runs on 12. At home I plug into the outside 20 amp plug and run the a/c with no problem. I just use an adapter on the end of the 30 amp cord that comes from the travel trailer. I have never tripped the breaker. I don't run anything else but the a/c while being plugged in at my home. Thanks.
Don't see why it shouldn't work, your 20 amp breaker on the outlet should overload before bad things happen. Set it up at home and try it. Better to melt down in the driveway than at a far away place.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #13

Sorry. My mistake on explaining the outlets. The twist lock 4 prong on the left is 120/240V AC/CA 20 Amp. That is the outlet that I want to use. To the right of it there are two sets of double plugs like in a house that are 120/AC/CA 20 Amp. They all have circuit breakers so if I draw too much they will trip. Is the twist lock rating ok for RV use? I appreciate all of the input. I just hate to go out and spend money on a generator if I can use this one. Only for overnight stops that are not at campgrounds. Thanks again!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nj1963 View Post
Sorry. My mistake on explaining the outlets. The twist lock 4 prong on the left is 120/240V AC/CA 20 Amp. That is the outlet that I want to use. To the right of it there are two sets of double plugs like in a house that are 120/AC/CA 20 Amp. They all have circuit breakers so if I draw too much they will trip. Is the twist lock rating ok for RV use? I appreciate all of the input. I just hate to go out and spend money on a generator if I can use this one. Only for overnight stops that are not at campgrounds. Thanks again!!!
If I understand this, the twist lock is a 240V outlet rated at 20 amps? Not ok to use for the RV !!!

Tags
generator