Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #1

Portable solar panel

I am considering the purchase of a portable solar panel kit. I am curious what methods others have used to secure them from theft. I don't plan to place them on my roof.

We hike for several hours each day and they will be unattended during peak charging period.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 07:39 AM   #2

I use a portable Renogy 100W unit, but I've never secured it when leaving for a short time. I suppose it would be possible to run a cable through the handle and padlock it to something.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Use a bike lock.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Portable solar panel

We have two 100w panels made portable to augment the six 100w panels on the roof. Have never secured them and have not had a theft issue. I guess they could walk away but are replaceable for about $300 so while not an inconsequential amount of money not big amount either. I do have a 35' security cable and lock that I use on a portable generator and portable satellite dish, which I think more likely to walk away.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Be more concerned about the wind blowing them over and shattering the glass than theft.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

When I used to boo dock regularly, I used GoalZero. They do more than one thing and they're a pretty cool company.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:15 AM   #7

Would a 120 lbs pit bull work?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I also have the Renogy 100 watt suitcaes solar set-up. Used it twice at two 4 night stays in a VT. State Park. Never really even thought about a "walk-a-way" issue. More worried about a storm rolling in and blowing them over.

On mine I added some felt pads to where the aluminum legs rest against the back of the glass panels inside when closed. Leaving for Alaska soon where they will come in handy.

Jamaica State Park Southern Vermont Renogy set-up
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Portable solar panel

My Renogy 100 Watt unit at Valley of Fires in NM. It blew over once, but no damage. And it did a great job of keeping our battery fully charged. We did a lot of dry camping on this trip this past Feb-Mar.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
My Renogy 100 Watt unit at Valley of Fires in NM. It blew over once, but no damage. And it did a great job of keeping our battery fully charged. We did a lot of dry camping on this trip this past Feb-Mar.

Do these just hook on to the house batteries? Do u need a controller or does it come built in etc.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All the suitcase style solar panels I've ever seen come with a charge controller. Some trailers are pre-wired for external solar in some way. Mine isn't, so I just run the charging wires to the house batteries and attach them with spring clamps.

I have Z-Amp panels, and I'm very happy with them. All I need is good sunlight and it feels like free energy.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
On the Renogy 100 watt suitcase you can order it with or without the charge controller. With the controller it was $279 on Amazon. It comes with a 15' cord. I bought extra connectors and made a extra 10' cord, just in case I needed it.

The GoPower 120 watt suitcase was like $579 last summer.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I use a 20 foot long tow chain that I keep in the back of the truck that I have a paddle lock on each end, wrap it around the front of the trailer and then around the legs of the solar panel. I think if anyone wanted they could unscrew the legs or handle and take the unit but the bulk of the tow chain when viewed from the road looks to formidable for most people to even want to mess with. I figure if I need a toe chain I have it and use it for security as well. I also use this for the Generator when I am not using the solar panel.

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel