Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Portable waste tote tank recommendations

I am looking to buy online my first portable waste tote tank for the TT. Looking for one that will hook up with my current standard hose and fitting to fill, hook up to the truck hitch ball without coming off as I pull it to the dump station and easy to empty. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Barker makes a good one that lots of Rv'ers use. It tows easy, and empties completely. Great customer service.

The four wheeler fits over the ball hitch but use a bungy cord to keep it on when going downhill. It can come off and pass you! (Don't ask how I know!)

Here is a link: Barker_Home

Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy the biggest tank you can store comfortably. The Barker now has balloon tires on some models, they tow smoother and quieter. Too small a tank means more trips and that gets old......
Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SmartTote Portable Tanks

I am using a 27 gallon tank from Thetford and I am very satisfied. It meets the requirements you state and is sturdy and easy to fill (reasonable caution required) and empty. The handle has provision for towing over a ball hitch however it would require some additional strapping to keep it from coming off.

In my situation I have to travel many miles to dump so mine is mounted on a small trailer to accommodate my needs.

If the Barker has inflatable tires that is a plus, this one does not at least the 27 gallon type.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One other comment; The Barker has a valve for the drain release, the Smarttote drain just tilts down for emptying, you tilt it pours. It took a little practice for me to get the technique down to avoid spilling. Still the Smarttote is getting the job done and is easy to operate.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

From my person experience I would go Barker. I have a Thetford and it won't drain completely. I am assuming the Barker does cause no one ever complains about it not completely draining.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #7

I recommend Barker over Thetford - I have owned both.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #8

Another option is a pillow tank. Not sure if you need a macerator pump for one. Neat idea because you can collapse it for storage. If we were to need a portable tank often enough, I'd try one of these. Don't know how well they work but forum member HD4Mark bought one last year and was going to report on it. Discussion here: Black/Grey Water Disposing while camping

Pillow tanks here: Portable Tanks

We have a SmartTote. Have only used it once. No problems using it.

Have read about some replacing the wheels with air-filled tires .

Some campgrounds have a honey wagon and you won't always need the portable tank. If you have a reservation at a cg and there's no hookups, enquire about a honey wagon because it may not be advertised that they have one. But, if they only come once a week that may not work.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #9

Thanks for everyone's input, I'm going with the Barker 42 gal 4 wheeler, might be a little over kill but I'll be sure I won't over fill it. Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought one and only used it once, and now don't need it. It's hard to sell a used blue tank, though!

x 2 on the honey wagon service. If we don't have full hookups, we ask about sewer service. Much easier than breaking camp to travel to the dump station.

virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote