Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Post camping-water lines

Just got back from our very first TT trip with our "new to us" Passport 2300BH. We had a blast!!

I drained the black tank and added about 8-10 gallons of fresh water and treatment solution to it, then drained the gray tank before we left the campsite.

I disconnected the city water feed, but that's it. I'm thinking the water heater and the lines now are full of stagnant water. We will not be out for several weeks. Should I somehow drain the lines? I don't expect freezing temps again this season, but am wondering about leaving that water in there.

Thanks in advance from a newb.
Jagtec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I've left the water in the lines for years with no ill effects.

You can quickly 'flush' the lines the next time you camp by letting the water run before using it. As for your HW heater, that water is generally used for washing and not cooking so no worries if its a little 'stagnant'.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have never drained my tank from a return trip. It's really not necessary.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

Agree. I also drink the water out of the tap.

I sanitize annually, use a blue camco water filter and drain only if is going to freeze. Going on 6 years.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The only times any of our tanks/lines are drained is when it's time to winterize. No need to drain in between trips. You don't want sewage water/black or dirty/grey left, but as long as you've dumped/rinsed & put a few gallons of clean in those they're fine...keeps the seal from drying out.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

Agree with all the above, sometime if it sits for a couple of months without use I drain the water tank and refill it. I don't flush anything, I usually throw out the first batch of ice from the ice maker but that's about it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:42 AM   #7

Thanks!!
Jagtec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 AM   #8

I don't leave water sitting in the fresh water tank but I don't drain the lines. We have a tankless water heater so thats not an issue.

If the blackwater tank isn't near full, and we are 4 hours or less from home I don't drain it until we get home. The drive helps macerate the contents and makes for better flushing. I also don't drain the grey water tank until immediately after I drain the black water tank. This helps to clean out any debris in the hose.

Mike
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #9

You can if you want to, it won't really hurt anything and it will make you alittle more familiar with your RV Systems.

Besides what could possibly go wrong?

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You don't need to drain the water system except to protect from freezing. I have never noticed any taste or odor being picked up from water in the PEX tubing.

Depending on where your water tank is, you may want some water weight in the tank to have the right amount of weight on your trailer tongue. Also, with some water in the tank if you need to use the TT for a bathroom break you can turn on the water pump and flush toilet and wash hands.

In my opinion (IMO) you are putting way more water in your black tank after dumping than you need to - IMO a gallon jug worth is plenty.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #11

[QUOTE=powercat_ras;2972133]You don't need to drain the water system except to protect from freezing. I have never noticed any taste or odor being picked up from water in the PEX tubing.

Depending on where your water tank is, you may want some water weight in the tank to have the right amount of weight on your trailer tongue. Also, with some water in the tank if you need to use the TT for a bathroom break you can turn on the water pump and flush toilet and wash hands.

In my opinion (IMO) you are putting way more water in your black tank after dumping than you need to - IMO a gallon jug worth is plenty.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing too.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #12
RPr

I drain the water in the fall. bypass the water heater, pump in antifreeze. Spring I add water and flush the system.

Between trips I drain the fresh water, drain the hot water and tape the electric switch off.

I keep 2 to 5 gallons in the in the black and gray tank.

Works for us.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Look at it this way: if there is a disaster of some kind, the water in your tank can be emergency drinking water.

It's OK to think of your RV as a source of shelter and other things if it survives a disaster.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Look at it this way: if there is a disaster of some kind, the water in your tank can be emergency drinking water.

It's OK to think of your RV as a source of shelter and other things if it survives a disaster.
X2, our MH is our "Earthquake Kit", it is always ready to roll, has nonperishable food in it, tank full of water, batteries charged, fairly full tank of gas, and all the normal clothes we keep in it. Have only used it once so far in this fashion when we had an Earthquake where the epicenter was about a mile from our house, no real damage but my Wife wouldn't sleep in the house as we had aftershocks all night long.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, water