Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #1

Power awning motor failure

Hi All,

Quick question to the most polished, helpful, people that I know, that have had the same problem that I have encountered.

I've got a Dometic power awning on the TT. For what ever reason that there is the motor has quit working. It was in the out position and I couldn't get it back in. DW and I watched several videos with this problem, and I did do as the instructions called for removing (2) screws, and rolling the awning back in. Only problem now is that the screw holes don't line up and I can't get the screws back in, and must move it by Saturday.

I called the original dealer for this trailer and was quoted $500 for the motor, along with the statement, almost like a badge of honor, "...we replace about 75 motors a year.."

Good grief!!! That many motors without a recall? I was quoted over $100 cheaper at two other dealers, and that is what I most likely do is order from a different dealer than the original dealer.

Worse, I can't seem to find the motor on the Dometic website. The MFG# is 916FT19.500U and the MFG/PNC 958569602.

Any body else that has had this problem with this particular motor? What did you do to rectify it, besides strapping it up with either velcro strap or zip ties?

Much thanks and any help is very much appreciated.

Taz

BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #2

Sorry for the long post. It's very frustrating.

Taz

Old 09-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #3

Do some internet searching, an automobile power window motor is a direct fit for many awnings, and they can be had at auto parts stores for about $50.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Try the following link for possible motor replacements as they are out there.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=motor+...fad695af96968c
Old 09-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
First I would check to see if the awning is covered under the recall.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3v357-1444.pdf

If it isn't, then I would remove the motor and see if there is a cheaper replacement.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Do some internet searching, an automobile power window motor is a direct fit for many awnings, and they can be had at auto parts stores for about $50.
Really??? Thats the first I heard, can you share some examples??
Old 09-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #7

If you pull the awning motor, and walk into a decent parts store, they could potentially match it. BETTER YET go to your local junk yard, they'll have several motor types and styles on a shelf
Old 09-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #8

I found that same problem this past weekend..... 2 year old camper and the awning motor fails ! Although my awning was Mfg. on 12/17/13 and is a 915NS19.001BL appears to be a little older.
Anyway, they should not fail so soon. There is a recall that I found on Dometics website but it involves awnings made between Feb 2013 and Apr. 2013. If yours falls in that time frame then you should by all means call.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #9

CampingInADK

Yes, I found that same website. This was earlier this month, and it has been a crazy month, so I am not exactly sure what month it was manufactured in.

I will have to wait until Saturday morning/early afternoon to unfurl canopy and see what the month of manufacture is.

Does anybody know what can be done to hold the canopy in place while I have it unfurled and am looking for a replacement?

Right now, the trailer is 3 hrs away from me. And, Saturday is the Big Day here in MI!!!! (Lol! Think Elmer Fudd!)

TIA

Taz

Tags
power, awning