Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Power converter fan runs continuously

Hello to all and thanks in advance for any help. I have a Dutchman Classic 350, (1993), that I'm using as a hunting camp. I only use the Refrigerator, the microwave, the AC and the lights. I have a full time 110 hookup which powers the Refrigerator, the AC and microwave. All the lights are 12 volt and are powered by the power converter. My problem is the fan that cools the power converter runs constantly, even when all the lights are off. unfortunately due to it's age, it's noisy and it's in the second bedroom which makes it difficult for anyone to sleep in there. Does anyone know why it would run constantly? I know there is supposed to be a battery that charges when on the 110 for use when in transit or away from a 110 source, which I don't have. Is it possible that the system is constantly trying to power the "back up" Battery that's not there?
Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #2

It's hot or going bad. I'd pull it to clean it first.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
It probably has a thermistor that turns the fan on when the heat starts to build. If you can find that and replace it, it may fix your problem. They do go bad occasionally...
Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #4

Remove the cover and clean the fans. I did my HR Alumscape it is now quiet.
Chuck
Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The power converter typically charges a battery. The fan runs due to heat produced during the charging process. Without a battery, the unit is running continuously to supply the 12 volt items in your MH. As suggested, some fans can be cleaned and lubricated. If the fan is accessible, it can be replaced. The last solution would be to replace the converter and install a battery so it doesn't run continuously.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #6

All good suggestions

Thanks to all for the suggestions. All good and I will try them. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll probably try installing a battery first, then try to replace the thermostat and if none of that works, I'll try to replace the converter. any other suggestions would be still appreciated
Old 12-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #7

Don't just replace things
Clean things before replacing or spending any money. It's the cheapest.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #8

If cleaning it doesn't help then open the door on the power converter and post the brand name and model on here. I think you may be right about needing a battery for it to work right and the fan to quit running but, if we had the brand name and model it might be possible to disconnect the charging section of the power converter.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #9

Here's the info on the label
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power converter label.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	52852  
Old 12-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #10

Old solid state Magnatek converter. Pull it and clean it, again. Then go from there.
It does have a separate charging and converter line.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 AM   #11

thanks for the reply. I know nothing about these and you sound like you have some experience with them. When you say "separate charging and converter line", do you mean there is a seperate charger and converter? do you think adding a battery to take the charge might be the problem as a previous poster suggested? Unit looks clean and is fairly well protected. What exactly would you clean?
Thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #12

As jesilvas mentions, that is an older Magnetek. I call them Battery Boilers. There was no logic built into them for charging rates so they continuously charged and unfortunately when they gain some age they become more aggressive in their charge rates and generally boil the battery(ies). Here is what I would do in this order.....

1. Check the output voltage of the existing converter. It should be 13.8VDC or slightly under. I've seen these with some age on them charging at 14.5-15.0VDC

2. Have your house battery(ies) tested somewhere. Make sure they are OK first. If they are bad, as mentioned above, replacing them may prevent your converter from charging so hard - thus keeping the fan running.

3. If the batteries are ok the I'd suggest replacement of the converter. Progressive Dynamics makes a replacement that is 3-stage charging, fairly easy to install - depending upon your level of knowledge in doing a project such as this. A good RV tech can do it in about 45 minutes. Here is a good DIY link for you to see the process and the replacement product of your exact model: Replace 110/12v converter
Old 01-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
As jesilvas mentions, that is an older Magnetek. I call them Battery Boilers. There was no logic built into them for charging rates so they continuously charged and unfortunately when they gain some age they become more aggressive in their charge rates and generally boil the battery(ies). Here is what I would do in this order.....

1. Check the output voltage of the existing converter. It should be 13.8VDC or slightly under. I've seen these with some age on them charging at 14.5-15.0VDC

2. Have your house battery(ies) tested somewhere. Make sure they are OK first. If they are bad, as mentioned above, replacing them may prevent your converter from charging so hard - thus keeping the fan running.

3. If the batteries are ok the I'd suggest replacement of the converter. Progressive Dynamics makes a replacement that is 3-stage charging, fairly easy to install - depending upon your level of knowledge in doing a project such as this. A good RV tech can do it in about 45 minutes. Here is a good DIY link for you to see the process and the replacement product of your exact model: Replace 110/12v converter
He's not using any house batteries.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #14

House Batteries

I was going to try putting a house battery in to see if, once charged, the converter and the fan will shut down. House battery = automotive battery? I would assume a deep cycle would be best. Or is their a battery specially designed for the House battery application?
Getting great suggestions and info here. Thanks to all

Tags
converter, fan, power