Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Power Converter Question

I'm new to the RV maintenance world and have some questions about the AC/DC converter. I have had the trailer for a little over a year now and recently I have noticed that the fan is running continuously and it did not do that before. It would only come on when the lights were used. The model is WFCO 8955 and I have tried to narrow down the problem by pulling each fuse to see if there is something drawing current. After removing all the fuses the fan still runs. I left the fuses out for several hours and it was still running. I have checked the output voltage and it was about 13.7 volts. I just recently replaced the battery also. Am I looking at replacing the whole converter unit or is this a fan problem? Thanks in advance for your help.
__________________

__________________
rustykan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
bjlakatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 677
Power Converter Question

The only other load (assuming no external fuse for the battery charger) on the converter would be the battery charger. I wonder if the converter/charger is working hard to keep the battery charged. Is the battery in good condition?

This would explain why the change in fan behavior.

Also the best way to check it would be to put a known good battery in it. If you disconnect the battery the converter/charger behavior is not predictable.
__________________

__________________
Brian
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2011 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bjlakatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 677
Btw. If you are not going to upgrade the converter then a controller board is the best remedy. Likely the fan is not the problem but rather the controller board causing the fan to run more than expected.
__________________
Brian
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2011 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bigbird65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 549
My guess is that there is a small fan relay on the control board that closes when the fan needs to run. The contacts are probably stuck closed. If the fan noise doesn't bother you then let it run.
__________________
Ken and Joyce
2017 RAM 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, 3.21, Tekonsha P3
2014 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 2101DS
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 12,179
Welcome to iRV2.

13.7 volts output to the battery , is a medium/high rate of charge , and the fan operation at that rate may be normal.
13.1 volts would be a maintenance charge rate, indicating the converter/charger sees the battery as being fully charged; and the fan may cycle off when at that rate.
Was the new battery , checked for a full charge , before it was installed ?
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
The only other load (assuming no external fuse for the battery charger) on the converter would be the battery charger. I wonder if the converter/charger is working hard to keep the battery charged. Is the battery in good condition?

This would explain why the change in fan behavior.

Also the best way to check it would be to put a known good battery in it. If you disconnect the battery the converter/charger behavior is not predictable.
I just replaced the battery this spring.
__________________
rustykan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 37
The fan isn't just load sensitive it also runs because of high temperature. Poster said he replaced the battery but are all connections good on battery and in the panel. I wouldn't worry about the converter until it stops. Carry a battery charger with you to get by if it quits.
__________________
12rvrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Btw. If you are not going to upgrade the converter then a controller board is the best remedy. Likely the fan is not the problem but rather the controller board causing the fan to run more than expected.
Where would I look for a replacement board?
__________________
rustykan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

13.7 volts output to the battery , is a medium/high rate of charge , and the fan operation at that rate may be normal.
13.1 volts would be a maintenance charge rate, indicating the converter/charger sees the battery as being fully charged; and the fan may cycle off when at that rate.
Was the new battery , checked for a full charge , before it was installed ?
I do not remember the battery being checked before install. What is the best way to check the charge rate? Would it be checked at the battery with the battery connected?
__________________
rustykan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12rvrepair View Post
The fan isn't just load sensitive it also runs because of high temperature. Poster said he replaced the battery but are all connections good on battery and in the panel. I wouldn't worry about the converter until it stops. Carry a battery charger with you to get by if it quits.
All connections are recently cleaned and tight at the battery and the connections in the panel are tight. I want to make sure it's not overcharging the battery also.
__________________
rustykan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
My guess is that there is a small fan relay on the control board that closes when the fan needs to run. The contacts are probably stuck closed. If the fan noise doesn't bother you then let it run.
Is there a way to repair it or is the only option to replace?
__________________
rustykan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bigbird65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustykan View Post
Is there a way to repair it or is the only option to replace?
Can't answer the question because I don't know what is wrong. Look for the WFCO 8955 here.
One thing you can try is to unplug the trailer from AC power for an hour or more to let the converter get completely cool. Then plug it back in and immediately see if the fan runs. If it does then you have trouble with the converter, stuck relay, or faulty temperature sensor.

If you choose to replace the converter then take a look at this. Quite a nest of wiring to disconnect and reconnect. or..............learn to live with the fan sound. My hearing is poor and I never hear the fan come on.

You might want to just buy the main board assembly on that same Amazon page. Sure would save a lot of wiring. If you are uncomfortable with the electrical end then I suggest that you find someone to help you.


__________________
Ken and Joyce
2017 RAM 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, 3.21, Tekonsha P3
2014 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 2101DS
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Nut4speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Try disconnecting the battery all together and remove all other load. If the fan stays running then it's likely a bad thermal switch. If it stops with the battery disconnected I would start adding some load back on (battery still disconnected) with low draw devices first (fridge, led lights, etc) and if it still doesn't come on then my guess is you've got a bad battery that the converter is constantly trying to charge.
__________________
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:48 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Can't answer the question because I don't know what is wrong. Look for the WFCO 8955 here.
One thing you can try is to unplug the trailer from AC power for an hour or more to let the converter get completely cool. Then plug it back in and immediately see if the fan runs. If it does then you have trouble with the converter, stuck relay, or faulty temperature sensor.

If you choose to replace the converter then take a look at this. Quite a nest of wiring to disconnect and reconnect. or..............learn to live with the fan sound. My hearing is poor and I never hear the fan come on.

You might want to just buy the main board assembly on that same Amazon page. Sure would save a lot of wiring. If you are uncomfortable with the electrical end then I suggest that you find someone to help you.


Yah, I wasn't looking at replacing the whole unit. I was wondering if the converter itself could be repaired instead of replaced if there is a problem with the fan or it's relay.
__________________

__________________
rustykan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
converter, power


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 pace arrow power/refridgerator/converter question divie20 RV Systems & Appliances 4 05-27-2016 08:49 AM
Parallax Power Converter 7455BT Question Jserna Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 12 03-03-2016 11:07 AM
WFCO Power Converter Question kenmo RV Systems & Appliances 2 01-22-2013 10:54 PM
from converter to converter charger Johnnyd111 Vintage RV's 14 08-04-2011 11:33 AM
Hooking up battery to power converter? RogerC. Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics 4 04-09-2005 05:53 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.