Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

Power Converter Question

I'm new to the RV maintenance world and have some questions about the AC/DC converter. I have had the trailer for a little over a year now and recently I have noticed that the fan is running continuously and it did not do that before. It would only come on when the lights were used. The model is WFCO 8955 and I have tried to narrow down the problem by pulling each fuse to see if there is something drawing current. After removing all the fuses the fan still runs. I left the fuses out for several hours and it was still running. I have checked the output voltage and it was about 13.7 volts. I just recently replaced the battery also. Am I looking at replacing the whole converter unit or is this a fan problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #2

Power Converter Question

The only other load (assuming no external fuse for the battery charger) on the converter would be the battery charger. I wonder if the converter/charger is working hard to keep the battery charged. Is the battery in good condition?

This would explain why the change in fan behavior.

Also the best way to check it would be to put a known good battery in it. If you disconnect the battery the converter/charger behavior is not predictable.

bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #3

Btw. If you are not going to upgrade the converter then a controller board is the best remedy. Likely the fan is not the problem but rather the controller board causing the fan to run more than expected.
bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #4

My guess is that there is a small fan relay on the control board that closes when the fan needs to run. The contacts are probably stuck closed. If the fan noise doesn't bother you then let it run.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #5

Welcome to iRV2.

13.7 volts output to the battery , is a medium/high rate of charge , and the fan operation at that rate may be normal.
13.1 volts would be a maintenance charge rate, indicating the converter/charger sees the battery as being fully charged; and the fan may cycle off when at that rate.
Was the new battery , checked for a full charge , before it was installed ?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
The only other load (assuming no external fuse for the battery charger) on the converter would be the battery charger. I wonder if the converter/charger is working hard to keep the battery charged. Is the battery in good condition?

This would explain why the change in fan behavior.

Also the best way to check it would be to put a known good battery in it. If you disconnect the battery the converter/charger behavior is not predictable.
I just replaced the battery this spring.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #7

The fan isn't just load sensitive it also runs because of high temperature. Poster said he replaced the battery but are all connections good on battery and in the panel. I wouldn't worry about the converter until it stops. Carry a battery charger with you to get by if it quits.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Btw. If you are not going to upgrade the converter then a controller board is the best remedy. Likely the fan is not the problem but rather the controller board causing the fan to run more than expected.
Where would I look for a replacement board?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

13.7 volts output to the battery , is a medium/high rate of charge , and the fan operation at that rate may be normal.
13.1 volts would be a maintenance charge rate, indicating the converter/charger sees the battery as being fully charged; and the fan may cycle off when at that rate.
Was the new battery , checked for a full charge , before it was installed ?
I do not remember the battery being checked before install. What is the best way to check the charge rate? Would it be checked at the battery with the battery connected?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12rvrepair View Post
The fan isn't just load sensitive it also runs because of high temperature. Poster said he replaced the battery but are all connections good on battery and in the panel. I wouldn't worry about the converter until it stops. Carry a battery charger with you to get by if it quits.
All connections are recently cleaned and tight at the battery and the connections in the panel are tight. I want to make sure it's not overcharging the battery also.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
My guess is that there is a small fan relay on the control board that closes when the fan needs to run. The contacts are probably stuck closed. If the fan noise doesn't bother you then let it run.
Is there a way to repair it or is the only option to replace?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustykan View Post
Is there a way to repair it or is the only option to replace?
Can't answer the question because I don't know what is wrong. Look for the WFCO 8955 here.
One thing you can try is to unplug the trailer from AC power for an hour or more to let the converter get completely cool. Then plug it back in and immediately see if the fan runs. If it does then you have trouble with the converter, stuck relay, or faulty temperature sensor.

If you choose to replace the converter then take a look at this. Quite a nest of wiring to disconnect and reconnect. or..............learn to live with the fan sound. My hearing is poor and I never hear the fan come on.

You might want to just buy the main board assembly on that same Amazon page. Sure would save a lot of wiring. If you are uncomfortable with the electrical end then I suggest that you find someone to help you.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #13

Try disconnecting the battery all together and remove all other load. If the fan stays running then it's likely a bad thermal switch. If it stops with the battery disconnected I would start adding some load back on (battery still disconnected) with low draw devices first (fridge, led lights, etc) and if it still doesn't come on then my guess is you've got a bad battery that the converter is constantly trying to charge.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Can't answer the question because I don't know what is wrong. Look for the WFCO 8955 here.
One thing you can try is to unplug the trailer from AC power for an hour or more to let the converter get completely cool. Then plug it back in and immediately see if the fan runs. If it does then you have trouble with the converter, stuck relay, or faulty temperature sensor.

If you choose to replace the converter then take a look at this. Quite a nest of wiring to disconnect and reconnect. or..............learn to live with the fan sound. My hearing is poor and I never hear the fan come on.

You might want to just buy the main board assembly on that same Amazon page. Sure would save a lot of wiring. If you are uncomfortable with the electrical end then I suggest that you find someone to help you.

Yah, I wasn't looking at replacing the whole unit. I was wondering if the converter itself could be repaired instead of replaced if there is a problem with the fan or it's relay.

Tags
converter, power