Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #1

Power jack all of a sudden will only run off truck battery?

Hi all,

I've always been able to use the power jack when TT was unhooked from TV in the driveway. I don't know if it was running off the 15 amp house power, or off the TT battery (I assume the latter), but it always worked fine. At a campground the other day, the TT was hooked up to the 30 amp shore power. The jack was lifting, and then it just stopped (little light won't work either). I could only get it to work when I plugged the 7-pin back in. All other electronics work fine, battery is full.

Thought maybe since it was hooked up to 30 amp I overloaded it (which kinda doesn't make sense to me either if I'm correct that these things run of the TT battery). Couldn't find a fuse anywhere, but the installation guide confirms a 20 amp circuit breaker inside the jack housing. Unfortunately, there is no number anywhere to call for tech support, not even a name of a manufacturer anywhere (Jayco told me its a Wesco, but good luck contacting them). I opened up the housing, but frankly I don't know what I'm looking at, and certainly don't see something I could switch back to "on" like I'd expect with a circuit breaker. Somebody told me the breaker switches itself back when it cools down, but its still not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any replies,

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #2

Fuse off of battery is blown should be close to battery 30 amp. Very important as it also controls your emergency brakes
Hiserman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #3

battery on and off switch

My TT has an on/off switch inside the storage department. If it is off then the jack will not work. Plug in your TT electrical cord and test your trailer brakes by pulling the break away pin out and try to move trailer forward. the battery powers your trailer brakes, no battery no brakes. Also be sure to put the breakaway switch back in,
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the help...you were right. I forgot there was a 30amp fuse for the battery. Replaced it and back to normal.

But if its a 30 amp fuse, and I had it hooked up to 30 amp service why did it blow? And, why did everything else work? Forgive my ignorance on all things electronic...
Old 06-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveRG View Post
Thanks for the help...you were right. I forgot there was a 30amp fuse for the battery. Replaced it and back to normal.

But if its a 30 amp fuse, and I had it hooked up to 30 amp service why did it blow? And, why did everything else work? Forgive my ignorance on all things electronic...
Could you have accidently bottomed (or topped) out the jack while operating it? I've done this before raising it and it didn't take any real force to blow the fuse....didn't even realize I had done it.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #6

>"But if its a 30 amp fuse, and I had it hooked up to 30 amp service why did it blow? And, why did everything else work? Forgive my ignorance on all things electronic..."

You may be confusing the 30 amp 12v (battery) feed for the jack... with the 30 amp 120v (trailer park) feed for the trailer.

The jack is 12 volts... it runs off the 12v battery. (Either the battery in your trailer... or the Tow Vehicle battery provided by the lead to the trailer.)

The 30A (park) service provides 120 volt power to the trailer... microwave, electric water heater, television (etc) and also provides a converted 12V feed for battery charge.

If you blew the 12v fuse for the 'trailer jack'... everything else on the trailer would work... except for the jack.

Amperage is the current 'flow' on a conductor.
Voltage is the er... 'push' to the current. (More push = more work done by the Amperage.)
Power (wattage) = amperage x voltage.

30 amp service to the trailer = 120 volts (push) x 30 amps (flow)
Power (max that fuse allowed) = amperage x voltage = 120 x 30 = 3,600 watts.

30 amp service to the jack = 12 volts (push) x 30 amps (flow)
Power (max that fuse allowed) = amperage x voltage = 12 x 30 = 360 watts.

Fuse either blew... (probably in order)

1) Jack drew more than 30 amps.
2) Defective Fuse.
3) Some other 'electrical issue' which drew more amperage on the fuse.
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #7

Thanks twilight zone! I get about 60% of that, but its more than I understood before.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #8

for my education, where is the 30amp fuse. Is it in the fuse panel in the truck or someplace else. cmcguire2@att.net
Old 06-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
for my education, where is the 30amp fuse. Is it in the fuse panel in the truck or someplace else. cmcguire2@att.net
Coming off the battery in the front outside of the camper is where mine is. Can be hard to spot when the rain cover tab is on. If you can't find it I'll post pics of the location of mine
Hiserman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 PM   #10

Please send me a picture thank you so much
Old 06-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
please send me a picture thank you so much
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170630_153458.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	55.5 KB