Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
power outage makes my TT the best place in the neighborhood

My entire area was hit hard by a storm tonight with extensive power outage. Hooked up to the generator & DH with respiratory issues is sleeping comfortably in the TT with AC and oxygen. Life is good.

I wanted to go camping this weekend and DH wanted to cut firewood. Now we likely have no power for several days and a downed tree. Be careful what you wish for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Carl Bice
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarcia View Post
I wanted to go camping this weekend and DH wanted to cut firewood. Now we likely have no power for several days and a downed tree. Be careful what you wish for.
I think that was and is the best advice I could ever hear, My Dad used to tell me that... Be Careful what you wish for, You just might get it...
Love the story, and I can relate, all the kids in the neighborhood flock to ours when the lights go out.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last nights storm in Virginia

We got the same storm as it moved east. So good to hear you were well prepared and you and your wife are safe and comfortable. The storm went through here last night about 10 and I cannot remember a stronger wind storm. No damage to on my property but the neighbor lost a tree limb and it almost took out the side of my motor home. The limb was just short, (long) enough to just leave a few 'I was here', scratches on the side, and no serious damage. I pray everyone else in the path of the storm is safe, but I'm hearing of a lot of property damage all around us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tree.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	23026  
Old 06-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarcia View Post
My entire area was hit hard by a storm tonight with extensive power outage. Hooked up to the generator ...
It wasn't the TT, it was the generator that eased your situation.

But having a generator big enough to run the AC in the TT, and enough fuel available to run the generator, made it easy to run the AC in the TT.

With the right generator, you don't need the TT. With some wiring and smarts, you could hook up the generator to the AC circuit in your house and then run the AC. Provided your generator was big enough to run the HVAC system in the house.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We do have our house wired for a generator, but we don't have the roof reinforced to withstand my hybrid poplar that split in half on the other side of the house and is leaning in the direction of the house.

Thanks for the good wishes, though, and I wish everyone well who was in the path of the storm.

Tags
power