Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #15

Sorry about the pics. I can't figure out why they are upside down on the forum.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #16

Power problems...

Make sure your outlet the trailer is connected to is wired like this picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1407379340.653126.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	70093

Measure with a voltmeter between the two slanted blades. Should read 120v. If it reads 240 then you definitely have a problem.

The EMS-PT30C I mentioned above would detect problems like this, and protect your trailer from any ill effects.

Do you have a battery you can attach to the trailer just to see if that makes the problem go away or get better ?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #17

Evergreen Owners Club
Check to make sure that none of the battery hookup leads is grounding against the metal of the trailer.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rv's are not wire as industrial if you are not suppling the 12v only and read high voltage you will burn out all your electronic boards and TV, Micro etc.,etc.
TECH LINKS FOR RV's
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Make sure your outlet the trailer is connected to is wired like this picture

Two things.

This is exactly how it us hooked up, and we are getting 121-122 volts between the slants.

And when we looked at the trailer on Sunday, it was hooked up without a battery and didn't seem to have this problem. In fact, I'm fairly certain that he had the RV plug connected to a 110 adapter and plugged into a normal residential plug. I tried that here but threw the breaker.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2171724]Rv's are not wire as industrial if you are not suppling the 12v only and read high voltage you will burn out all your electronic boards and TV, Micro etc.,etc.
[B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/technical-info-links-28855.html
TECH LINKS FOR RV's[/URL][/B]

LOW VOLTAGE. We're reading low voltage, not high.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Your converter is not putting out the 12 VDC power that you are needing and expecting for the additional lights.

Some RV's will work OK without any battery connected whereas others require a 12 VDC battery hooked to the converter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
The odd thing is that the previous owners had this trailer hooked up, with the A/C running, the fridge on, and there wasn't any beeping. And we were both in there turning on lights and fans and the microwave and radio... and it didn't do this where he had it plugged in. And there wasn't any battery connected then either.

Dr4Film may be right, and maybe it worked as you say only temporarily....

To test this theory you need to connect a battery, and then see if the 12v lights come on fine. Then the next step is to measure voltage at the battery to see if the converter is charging the battery like it should......might be that your converter/charger is not working now....maybe the time when you guys were turning on everything in the coach at the previous owners' stressed it out too much and it has failed and you need a new one.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #22

Have you tried throwing all fuses off and just having the AC on to see if it blows? if there is no battery then the lights should not come on if you have the fuse off. You should try to measure the current with an in line amp meter to see if you are overloading the circuit to your house and also, what is the fuse in your house rated at for that circuit? have you installed or replaced the start capacitor for the AC? that might help you as well.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
Have you tried throwing all fuses off and just having the AC on to see if it blows? if there is no battery then the lights should not come on if you have the fuse off. You should try to measure the current with an in line amp meter to see if you are overloading the circuit to your house and also, what is the fuse in your house rated at for that circuit? have you installed or replaced the start capacitor for the AC? that might help you as well.

The fuse at the house side is a 30amp.

And I haven't replaced anything yet because I dont know what is causing the problem. I have no way to tell if its the trailer, or the house.

I'm going to start with adding a deep cycle battery to the trailer, and allowing it to charge some. If that doesn't work then I guess it will be on to the next idea.

ETA: Which leads me to another question. How do I know which deep cycle battery to buy? I'm assuming that this would work...
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...+cycle+battery
Old 08-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
....maybe the time when you guys were turning on everything in the coach at the previous owners' stressed it out too much and it has failed and you need a new one.

Well, I'm having to replace walls, floors, and possibly water heaters... why not a converter?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #25

SeeAgree on having the batt connected. Some converters act strange if not loaded or connected as expected.

Separate the AC vs DC issues. Lets assume your ac power ckt is ok(prof electician, air conditioner works, etc.). The converter just routes the ac power through breakers and 'passes' it through to the trailer.

The in ability to run lights, beeping detector are all symptoms of low 12v power. I suspect your converter is not designed to power the trailer by itself. It is designed to charge the battery.

As you have already determined, a battery needs to be added to further debug. Get a group24 deep cycle marine battery. If you are unsure of the batt size measure the mounting location to confirm it will fit. Dont get just a starter battery, get the deep cycle.

I would also verify all the grounds on the frame (usually on the front where the batt connects to the trailer power).
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As has been pointed out the problem is not low 120vac it is low 12vdc, You said you have no battery.. Some older converters insist you have a battery, they have NO filtering and if you run them without a battery the output is more AC than DC (rectified AC to be precise, half wave or 2 half waves.. (They invert one of them) swinging from zero to around 18 volts and back to zero. Lots of hardware will complain about that kind of power.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #27

POWER ISSUE SOLVED!!!!!

hooked up a brand new deep cycle batter and BAM no problems. Every single light is on with no dimming, ac is FREEZING us out its so cold, and our fridge is working gkoriousy!!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
There are no batteries connected on this trailer at this time.

We are running direction from the plug.
So do I win the prize? I said low battery but no battery is even worse. Glad you installed a battery and solved your battery problem.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power