Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #1

Power tongue jack question

Our trailer is in storage now and I would like to lower the front a bit to help the snow and ice off the roof ( it warming for a bit ). Question is will the tongue jack work if I plug the 7 pin from the truck to the trailer. I removed the battery from the trailer while in storage. Also if I do it manually does anyone know what size socket fits the bolt ........

Thanks Joe
12rvjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #2

I'm pretty certain that the jack is powered by the house battery. If you don't have a battery available, you could use jumper cables from your truck's battery to the terminals on the TT.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

Yes, tongue jack is 12V powered. If all wires, circuit breakers, relays, and fuses are good on truck and trailer, then using the 7way connector on the truck will apply 12V to the trailer.
Not all tongue jacks use a socket, some are a t slot also. Depends on the make.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Since you say "bolt" I'm gonna assume it'll be a 3/4" but it sure would help if you told us what brand jack.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #5

So it doesn't matter if the battery is disconnected? The 7 pin from the TV will power the jack? Do the battery cables need to be connected together?
I'm electrically challenged, so don't know how this stuff works. Have never used a power jack either, but we have a new trailer ordered that will come with one.
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #6

I am assuming that the power ( red wire ) for the jack attaches to the house battery. If this is disconnected which it surely is the jack can't work. Did you receive a jack handle when you purchased the trailer to operate the jack in manual mode? If not ,contact the dealer and get one but in the meantime use the correct size socket with a 6" extension to reach the bolt. Use a long handle socket wrench to increase your leverage. Good luck
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

tongue jack

do not put the battery cables together if you do it will make a dead short. just make sure the battery cable ends are not touching metal plug in the 7pin and operate the jack lee
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #8

I suggest you do lots of learning about 120V and 12V systems then, first.

Second, the jack wire and battery hot wire would need to be connected together, and that's about it; as long as all the charge systems on the truck are good.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #9

I'm learning. Our trying to at least.
Having the jack hot wire connected to the battery hot makes sense. So, do they come wired that way, or is that something I would need to splice in to if I wanted to run the jack of the TV? Maybe something could be pre wired at the dealer so I could just connect it when needed?

When I store my unit for the winter I remove the battery so that it doesn't sit for long periods of below zero temps. It sure would be nice to be able to put it away and take it back out without the need to mess with the battery.

Thanks for your patient explanations!
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #10

Once you get it, you'll realize it's not as near a big deal as you're thinking it to be.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #11

Thanks everyone. I ended up lowering the jack manually. The dealer I bought the TT from was less than useless so I never knew if I had a manual crank or not, however I took a chance that the socket that fit the leveling jacks would fit the tongue and fortunately it did. So all is good ...........

Joe
12rvjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power