Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

Pre-Purchase Inspection

I am narrowing down my list of travel trailers. When I get it to a manageable short list, I want to do a thorough inspection before I commit. Does anyone know of a good inspection process to try to identify QC errors? I want to do my best to reduce my chances of getting a lemon.
Dranrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #2

First

Pick a floor plan.

Then go from there.

Are the floors solid ?
When you walk around the inside of the trailer does it sway, feeling soft.

Solid wood cabinets are a simple guide to quality.

Does it have a one piece Fiberglas or Aluminum roof ??

3 or 4 factors can narrow it down fast.

Do you realy want Quality ???
Or a cheap price ???

Number 1. Decision
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #3

Take a ladder and CHECK THE ROOF! Then CHECK THE ROOF AGAIN.
Tcounty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
For a TT the biggest problem would be a current or former leak IMO.

Roof, slides, under sinks and any other place you can think of. If you could look at it right after a down pour that would help.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #5

On the inside look for any defects in craftsmanship...alignment of doors,cabinents,moldings,check everything that moves slides etc-.

On the outside check roof for sealant gaps/shrinkage,rips/tears.
Check the moldings and sealants on the sides.

You really have to take the trailer out and after set up test everything.
Make sure all of the electrical items work as well as the plumbing.

We bought a new Jayco in Sept. and took it out only 1 time and after 2 days found it had a major city water leak coming out from the bottom.
Also found a few other minor issues.

Its difficult to check everything at the dealership.

Its back at the dealer now for repairs.
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #6

Had my dealer hookup power and water. Completely worked every system. Took about 4.5 hours to look everything over with attention to detail. Worked the slides several times while doing this.
When you found the right one be sure to discuss this with your sales rep at the beginning.
I am surprised more people don’t ask this very question. No way would they close on a house before inspection.
Like I always say if the repair list gets too long or extensive be prepared to walk away. All manufacturers build lemons. You’ll be much happier with your purchase in the long run. If your new to owning a RV then find a friend who knows what to look for, or hire someone.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Had my dealer hookup power and water. Completely worked every system. Took about 4.5 hours to look everything over with attention to detail. Worked the slides several times while doing this.
When you found the right one be sure to discuss this with your sales rep at the beginning.
I am surprised more people don’t ask this very question. No way would they close on a house before inspection.
Like I always say if the repair list gets too long or extensive be prepared to walk away. All manufacturers build lemons. You’ll be much happier with your purchase in the long run. If your new to owning a RV then find a friend who knows what to look for, or hire someone.
This truly seems like the way to do it. Test every system at the dealership.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #8

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Lots of good advice above.

There is no "one list" that will work well, but you can find extensive lists using Google. Any careful looking will help, but an experienced. A professional inspector who is worth his pay will take about 4 hours.

A newbie who has limited experience probably can't do the necessary job in 8 hours. Allow several months to find the problems and weeks waiting on the dealers service department.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-...-443427-2.html
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #9

I would research the camper your looking at see how it’s built and insulated check roof seal damage or tears loo in storage compartment make sure you don’t have chip board you want solid plywood good luck
D1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Lots of good advice above.

There is no "one list" that will work well, but you can find extensive lists using Google. Any careful looking will help, but an experienced. A professional inspector who is worth his pay will take about 4 hours.

A newbie who has limited experience probably can't do the necessary job in 8 hours. Allow several months to find the problems and weeks waiting on the dealers service department.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-...-443427-2.html
I had read that link before I signed on. I found a decent deal on a Grand Design about 300 miles away, but after reading this, I got gun shy. https://www.bbb.org/us/in/middlebury...345/complaints
Old 11-25-2019, 05:48 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
In addition to checking electronics (slide, awning, jacks, etc.) have them demonstrate how to work them manually if necessary.

Tags
purchase