Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #1

We stopped at a dealer the other day and looked at a new Wildwood model (T23BHL) that isn't even on the website yet. The only info the dealer had to give us to take home was a copy of the floorplan with the specs.

My question is how to get a fair deal on a trailer that isn't widely available yet? Would we be better off waiting until they are in "full" production or could we get a better deal now?

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #2

We stopped at a dealer the other day and looked at a new Wildwood model (T23BHL) that isn't even on the website yet. The only info the dealer had to give us to take home was a copy of the floorplan with the specs.

My question is how to get a fair deal on a trailer that isn't widely available yet? Would we be better off waiting until they are in "full" production or could we get a better deal now?

2 Boys
Old 05-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #3

I dont think that you really need to wait for the line to get into full production. If you are interested in the camper, then go to the dealer and make them an offer. I would suggest taking the sticker price and subtracting 25% off of that and using that as a starting point. Usually about 20% is what most places will discount. I dont think I would go anything less than 20% off the sticker price. If they dont want to deal, then find another dealer. Good luck with the negotiations.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:46 PM   #4

Don -

Thanks for the reply about pricing One more question though? When you say 25% off the sticker price, are you talking about their asking price or what they are saying is the MSRP?

2 Boys
Old 05-13-2005, 11:11 PM   #5

If you know what the MSRP is then I would use that figure and go from there. I have never seen anything but what the dealer was asking. It is possible that you may be able to look in the NADA Guide to find out what the trailer really cost but it is hit and miss if it is listed. I was once told by an old retired RV salesman that the dealer markup is around 40%. I dont know how true that is. If you take their asking price and start with around 25% off of that figure, it is a good place to start and see what they say. I would not but the unit until they came down about 20% off their asking price. At that discount, they are still making a good profit. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #6

Tiniree, I would be careful about a model that had not been formally listed...has it had a real tryout for design flaws? Kind of like purchasing a new model of car, and the next year they have worked out all the bugs. But, if you have gone over it with a fine tooth comb, it should be OK.
Baddwalk, thanks for the information. I just learned something new!

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:13 PM   #7

Tiniree,
Since this is a new model of the Wildcat line, you might want to consider contacting Forest River. They are the company that manufactures this particular brand. You might be able to get more information from them since the dealer does not have anything yet. When I was looking at the Open Roads brand, I contacted a representative at Pilgrim International and he was very helpful and more than willing to answer any questions that I had and sent me brochures and other literature.

I dont think that since this is a new model that you would have any more to worry about as far as bugs and kinks in the system that may need to be worked out any more than if you bought an established line of campers. For the most part, they are all fairly similar in design and construction and Forest River has been around for quite some time. Just make sure that you look it over very closely and make notes of everything that would need to be fixed prior to delivery if you chose to buy.