Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

Pricing/Reviews on 2015 Palomino Solaire 28QBSS

Looking at a used model. MSRP was approx $28,500 on the unit new in 2015, so I'm assuming the current owner paid about $22k for it, give or take $1k. What would be a decent price on it now? Looks good, but it has been stored outdoors, uncovered for 2 years.

Any reviews on the unit or the manufacturer?

Things I like about it:
- 7' wide, so it's easier to see around (I don't have tow mirrors) and will have less frontal area for wind drag
- 4,990 lbs, which is very light for a 28' box trailer
- bunk configuration in the back would be great for the kids and storage
- it has exterior storage in the front and rear
- it has a dedicated pantry and kids wardrobe

Things I don't like:
- it's 33' long, which is a lot for my half ton Ram (not sure how big of a deal this really is)
patriot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 05:30 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of trailer for a half ton but doable with a w/d hitch and sway bars just not ideal. Value is what you the buyer are willing to pay. Condition means everything. Not being used can lead to all sorts of issues from rodent damage to rotten tires. Check it out thoroughly and make sure everything works. I would also plan on replacing the tires and having the brakes serviced. consider those expenses in your offer. Use the going price of other TT's of that size craigslist in your area to get a ballpark figure.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
A lot of trailer for a half ton but doable with a w/d hitch and sway bars just not ideal. Value is what you the buyer are willing to pay. Condition means everything. Not being used can lead to all sorts of issues from rodent damage to rotten tires. Check it out thoroughly and make sure everything works. I would also plan on replacing the tires and having the brakes serviced. consider those expenses in your offer. Use the going price of other TT's of that size craigslist in your area to get a ballpark figure.
Condition seems good. It was used - just not stored inside. He's in Destin with it right now.

Tough to know what other TTs in that size are going for. I see what they're listed at, but what they sell for is typically a very different number, in my experience. I'm just trying to figure out how much value it could be expected to lose in 2 years if it was a $21k-$22k camper when new.

Good notes on what to check for and try to price into the offer.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #4

FWIW, we like our Palomino 30QBDSK. It's 34' long and couldn't imagine towing anything close to that with a 1/2 ton, especially any longer distances.

As for pricing, we paid less than your prices last year as dealer needed to unload it.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawHD View Post
FWIW, we like our Palomino 30QBDSK. It's 34' long and couldn't imagine towing anything close to that with a 1/2 ton, especially any longer distances.

As for pricing, we paid less than your prices last year as dealer needed to unload it.
The guy is asking $17k. I just realized I didn't mention that.

The 28QBSS is 1'5" shorter and about 1,000 lbs lighter than yours. I don't have any concerns about the weight. My Ram Ecodiesel won't have any trouble with 5,000 lbs unloaded. I'm just curious about how big of a deal the length is. I was originally looking at the Solaire 267BHSK, which is 5,600 lbs unloaded and 31' long.

I have towed my parents North Trail 21FX, which was about 4,000 lbs unloaded and 28' long. Ram was great as long as I didn't want to drive 75-80 mph.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #6

Length and weight are not an issue for a 1/2 ton if it has the right power, gear, hitch, and suspension. We pull one longer than that and heavier with no issues. Just have to stay on top of it, but then you should regardless of the TV/TT you have.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevesfamily View Post
Length and weight are not an issue for a 1/2 ton if it has the right power, gear, hitch, and suspension. We pull one longer than that and heavier with no issues. Just have to stay on top of it, but then you should regardless of the TV/TT you have.
Planning to get an Andersen hitch. I have a Ram Ecodiesel crew cab 4x2 with the 3.55 gears. Tons of torque, but not much horsepower. Feel like if I'm willing to live at 65-70 mph, the truck won't have any issue with the weight. Sounds like some folks think the length could make things interesting, and others say it'll be fine.

Wish I had a decent idea of what it should go for. I've never had much faith in NADA.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #8

The ED will pull it for sure with that power.

But assuming something close to 6,000 wet and loaded, at 12% tongue weight, you'll be around 700-750 pounds of tongue weight.

Now take an estimated 1,200 pounds of payload (just guessing here on your truck), that leaves you around 500 pounds for passengers and gear. So be sure you are loading your truck appropriately, get a quality WD hitch, drive slow, and you should be all set. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawHD View Post
The ED will pull it for sure with that power.

But assuming something close to 6,000 wet and loaded, at 12% tongue weight, you'll be around 700-750 pounds of tongue weight.

Now take an estimated 1,200 pounds of payload (just guessing here on your truck), that leaves you around 500 pounds for passengers and gear. So be sure you are loading your truck appropriately, get a quality WD hitch, drive slow, and you should be all set. Good luck.
X2 I tow a 5700 lb.(loaded) TT with my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco. It's rated for 7200lbs. No issue with power when towing thru out the western states and Mtns.

The overall length is 27' and that is the maximum I would go with the JGC.

It has a shorter wheelbase and narrower track than the Ram Eco so I don't think you have any issues with the length you are looking at. As southpaw said, it's the GVWR & the RAWR you need to be concerned about.

I run around 65MPH, max rating of the tires.

I have a good WDH w/ sway control and have not had any white knuckle issues when towing.

Hit the scales with your truck loaded as if you were towing and get all the necessary weights for the front axle, rear axle, and total truck weight.

That way you'll know what's left for your tongue weight, and hitch weight.

FYI, I averaged 13.8 MPG when towing, figured with pen and paper on my last 5200 mile trip thru Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana last year.