Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

problem with tv/antenna

Ok so i bought a 24" LCD tv several weeks ago while on a trip. Hooked it all up and voila, 55channels. The other night I hook it all up at home and get 44 channels, awesome... considering i live in a pretty rural area! suddenly, while watching the tv, it loses reception on the channel that I am on and almost all of the others. I do another channel search and it only picks up 3 channels now?? I tried a different coaxial cable and tried the other jack in the camper. I have also visually inspected the antenna and cable on the roof and they look fine. Any other ideas? I am wondering if its the antenna, or if its something with the new tv (so i can get it fixed under warranty).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you an antenna booster ? If so , did you hit the button by accident ? Are your batteries charged as it ( booster ) runs on 12 volt ? It also has a fuse. Is it good ?
That's all I got. Good luck.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

IMHO it's impossible for you to have been receiving 55 over-the-air (OTA) channels in any location in the US. If you think about it, even the largest cities in the country have no more than ~10 OTA stations. I'm not sure what you were watching but I don't think it was OTA TV. Three stations sounds far more reasonable.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #4

Remember that the satellite is moving in relationship to your location. Clouds, trees, and any number of things can disrupt reception. I can be watching a station just accross the sound from us and lose reception. I can also drive 10 miles to a state park and get 0 channels. Thats why I don't worry about TV while out. I love it for football season because I can yell at the TV without distrubing the family.

Go Hawks
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Do you an antenna booster ? If so , did you hit the button by accident ? Are your batteries charged as it ( booster ) runs on 12 volt ? It also has a fuse. Is it good ?
That's all I got. Good luck.
Cliff
not sure if I have a booster? I know there is a button on one of the coaxial receptacles that made it jump from 1 channel to 55 at the first campground. i will go look at fuses in the panel and see if anything looks awry

docj: i was only planning on 4-5 channels tops but i actually flipped though all 55 at the campground, some were received better than others, but all were received. I did the same at my house. I am absolutely not hooked up to anything but the antenna
Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
Remember that the satellite is moving in relationship to your location. Clouds, trees, and any number of things can disrupt reception. I can be watching a station just accross the sound from us and lose reception. I can also drive 10 miles to a state park and get 0 channels. Thats why I don't worry about TV while out. I love it for football season because I can yell at the TV without distrubing the family.

Go Hawks
i also dont watch tv while camping (im one of those weirdos who wants to spend my time camping by the fire) either. we only watch tv when at the rv resort type of places where there is nothing really to do. and now that I know that there is a problem I will not be able to rest until it is fixed, regardless of whether i will regularly use it or not
Old 02-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

Your watching free retro-TV. I've never counted all the channels but there are a bunch, many more than three.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavagrand View Post
Your watching free retro-TV. I've never counted all the channels but there are a bunch, many more than three.

not anymore

only reason i KNOW it was 55 and 44 is because i let me tv do an auto search when i hook it up so i dont have to surf the unusable channels to find the usable ones. when it completes the search it tells you how many channels it found
Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
Remember that the satellite is moving
Uh, he is talking the over the AIR antenna.. No satellites involved at all (At least not between transmitter and him) ...

One thing that can happen in a campground..

Background: As a Ham Radio operator I like to check into a few nets on a couple of ham bands, these are far removed from TV band (Well most of them are, I ahve a few I work that are mixed in with the TV bands) and just now for example, the noise level is, as my radio is set up, below the meter's minimum display threshold (in short VERY LOW). ON the other hand a new neighbor can pull in or a long term lease arrives and turns on his whatever and the noise level jumps up to the point where it threatens to overload said meter. (That is the "Can't hear myself" level) Many RV's are just a bit on the noisy side of complying with FCC Part 15, Suspect devices include Inverters (MSW are very bad at this) Converters, Refrigerator controls, Some of the original Winegard antennas (None of which should be in service any more, they completed the recall) and more. Some of these noise sources can go all the way through the TV band into the Satellite bands and beyond.

NOTE: I see them on teh VHF/UHF meter too on occason (The radio has two signal meters, one is exclusively VHF/UHF, bands, the other is not)

But if you get a noisy neighbor what was good can be insta-crap signal wise.

Also, I've found if a station is "on the edge" just a small change in location might make a difference, A tree limb may be blocking a bit,

Finally, though TV studios and "broadcast houses" may be scattered all over there bent and gone......

Quite often the transmitters are parked one atop the other real-estate wise, Usually on the highest hunk of rock in the neighborhood (A mountain) if there is one around.