Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #1

Propane

Yay or nay
Travel with propane on

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

If you have a two-way propane frig, it hard to keep the ice cream from melting when traveling down the road without the propane on. In fact, the only time I turn the propane off is when it is required or the coach is in storage.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #3

Topic has been beat to death

Other than tunnels/bridges/ferries where it is REQUIRED to be OFF I travel with propane valved in service and Fridge ON....even have traveled with Furnace ON

Propane System has numerous safety features and propane appliances have safety features that make operating propane while in transit safe.

Safe enough that IF I couldn't use propane while in transit I would NOT use it while asleep.

Know and understand the varies safety features built into system.
Then decide for yourself.
Doesn't matter what others do.........
Old 06-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #4

I travel with it on.

Since we're on the topic....this always gets me. Every year we go to the va beach area and every year it bothers me that I pull over and turn propane off before going in the tunnel but there's no place to pull over and turn it back on when I come out the other side. I end up driving another 40 minutes or so with it off. It's not the end of the world and I've yet to really have a problem doing that....just bothersome. Wish they had a pull off on the other side to turn my stuff back on.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:36 PM   #5

If you don't feel comfortable driving with it on ( which I also feel is safe) just pack ice in plastic tubs around your food. The ice can melt a bit but stays sealed in the tub but keeps food way more colder than not having it. We also do that for the fridge too when we have to turn it off.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:56 AM   #6

We always travel with the fridge on propane !!!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #7

We, too, normally travel with fridge running on propane.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I travel with it on.

Since we're on the topic....this always gets me. Every year we go to the va beach area and every year it bothers me that I pull over and turn propane off before going in the tunnel but there's no place to pull over and turn it back on when I come out the other side. I end up driving another 40 minutes or so with it off. It's not the end of the world and I've yet to really have a problem doing that....just bothersome. Wish they had a pull off on the other side to turn my stuff back on.
Have you thought about a remote controlled relay wired to the fridge & controlled from the vehicle? There are various types you can order on places such as EBAY that have them. I ordered a 12v relay to control the water pump so I don't have to jump up to where the switch is when winterizing. Should work to kill the 12v to operate the propane controller.
However if your RV is aluminum on the outside, may block signal.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #9

WOW, another high tech guy !!!!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #10

Yay, that's the whole reason for having a propane fridge.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Travel with it on.. I do NOT turn it off in tunnels. Screw that. Ever see a tunnel in Colroado? there is rarely anywhere for pulls offs.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
I have my fridge on propane always when driving.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #13

So far we are only camping 1 1/2 hours away. On a long trip we will try it with the propane on.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Travel with it on. There are emergency valves in the hoses that will stop gas flow if it is too high, like with a ruptured line. If you choose to travel without the propane on for the fridge, I would suggest getting quite a bit of dry ice for the freezer to keep the ice cream *very* cold.

Tags
propane