Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #1

Propane Detector

Hello,

The other day I noticed our propane detector was going off. I could not figure out how to turn it off so I unscrewed it and unwired it. I dont know what happened, but when I tried to wire it back, it does not work. The detector is working because I can hook it directly to the battery and it works, but the wires have no juice. I have 2 fuses by the battery and both are working. Is there another fuse somewhere I am missing?

Thanks...........

Randy
2007 Kinsport by Gulf Stream

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #2

Find the fuse/breaker panel.
Also, it was going off cause it's gone bad, detected propane, or had low voltage.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #3

Propane detector

I thought the battery was low, so I charged it up. Still does not work. None of my breakers are blown or the fuses either. There is, however, a red light on next to one of the fuses, but that fuse is working. I was thinking about running all new wires to fix it, but since it was working i figured it was a simple fix. Any more ideas?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Randy
Old 10-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #4

How did you check fuses?
Also, red light means that there is no power leaving the fuse and something is needing power. Could just be bad contacts.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
A VOM is your friend and will tell you if you have voltage where it needs to be, if not trace it backwards to where you do and your problem is some place in between.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

Thanks,

I found the problem. A fuse that looked good was actualty bad.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #7

Moral: never just 'look' at fuses. Ohm them out.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I was curious about my issue with the Propane detector. My TT is a 2012 and we got it back from having service done and put it straight into the storage spot. After about 4 weeks, we got it back out to get things ready for our trip. When I opened it up, I heard an alarm beeping. Checked batteries in Smoke detectors and all were good. No breakers off, no fuses blown. The propane detector is a MTI industries 20-441-P unit produced 9/30/2011. This was me the Red/Red/Green/Green code for EOL. I wasn't sure why it died so quickly when it says it's good for 60 months. I also found my battery on the TT was nearly dead even though I have a Solar panel trickle charger on it and it's always been able to keep the battery topped off before (Florida, lots of sunshine). After all this, I disconnected the detector so I could buy a new one. Reading on the forum, I'm wondering what caused it to die so soon.

This may also be related, I put the TT away again for the week (can't leave in my street per codes). When I did, I checked the propane tanks just because. I found that one had the valve open. Not sure how this happened as I remember closing it before we left for home on our last trip. We dropped the TT off to the dealer on our way home from that trip.

I'm assuming the detector is really dead and should be replaced.

Joe
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #9

Perhaps when you reconnected it after disconnecting, you connected the wires back the front and ....
Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #10

Tony,

I haven't tried to reconnect it yet. Just thought it was dead. Think I should try to reconnect it?

Joe
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #11

I installed my new detector and have not had any issues.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierce300 View Post
Hello,

The other day I noticed our propane detector was going off. I could not figure out how to turn it off so I unscrewed it and unwired it. I dont know what happened, but when I tried to wire it back, it does not work. The detector is working because I can hook it directly to the battery and it works, but the wires have no juice. I have 2 fuses by the battery and both are working. Is there another fuse somewhere I am missing?

Thanks...........

Randy
2007 Kinsport by Gulf Stream
Our propane detector went off twice. The first time we found that we left the burner on, unlit(DOH) The second time we had a blown fuse and as soon as we replaced it, it stop alerting.

Tags
propane