Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #15

Dometic's test time for new cooling units off the line is 6hrs to reach operating temp.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have always used propane under way since 1974. forty years with no problem. I think the chance of food poisoning would be much higher than the chance of a fire. I was a service mgr. at a RV dealership for 15 years and we never had a customer with a ref. fire in that time.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #17

I've been running with mine on thru three units since 2005. Never an issue. But Be Aware! You'll be pumping gas near an open flame if your frig is on drivers side.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #18

So far after a year with towing with the fridge running while towing and all is well. I was nervous at first but having everything still nice and cold is worth it.

And I went through tunnels with it on. The only time I would turn it off is if you got stuck in a tunnel. But if you are moving I can't see why this would be a issue. And turn it off when getting gas. I forgot a few times.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRo70 View Post
Just bought my first TT, during the walk through the dealership said that they do not recommend running fridge while towing due to the open flame. I mentioned this to my neighbor who has had 5rs for years, he laughed and said I'd be crazy not to. After reading this I'm pretty sure mostly everyone does. Planning a 12 hour tow to the outer banks in June, don't think I will run it for this trip due to a few tunnels along the way and refueling but shorter trips seems like a no brainer.
Run with the fridge off unless its 100 degrees out. We recently took a trip from pa to myrtle beach took us 13 hrs. We had the fridge off the entire time. The trick is to have it cooled down a few days before you leave. The other thing is we generally freeze some of the meat we take, so that goes In the fridge frozen. On a 4 hour trip in the summer when we arrive the fridge is still cold and the meat is BARELY defrosted. I find that you can travel an entire day like this as long as you have frozen stuff in the fridge and it was cooled down before you left. I keep most of the beer in a cooler on ice.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #20

Nor'easters Club
I have to be honest, this isnt even something I thought about. Good discussion, another item to add to the checklist!
Goneracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
On a 4 hour trip in the summer when we arrive the fridge is still cold and the meat is BARELY defrosted.
Why take a chance on spoiling the food. Defrosting the meat is not good unless you plan on cooking that day.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #22

My guess is from reading about this on several forums for several years now is that the majority of RV'ers leave their fridge on while towing. How often does anyone see an explosion or fire from running the fridge while traveling?
If it was a big problem then the majority of responses would be negative.

Since most responses are pro running the fridge then it would only make sense that it's not a problem to run it while traveling.
We run ours 100% of the time when traveling and have never had an issue.
I would however be concerned if the fridge was on the driver side when fueling. Mines not so I don't worry.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #23

I fuel with diesel so I never worry about the fridge on 20 ft behind.
But I do worry about the dumb smoker or the car idling while filling up.

The fridge stays on all the time even stored lately.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Why take a chance on spoiling the food. Defrosting the meat is not good unless you plan on cooking that day.

Ken
Never thought of it that way most of it is cooked that day the rest goes back in the freezer still mostly frozen, OR we let it completely thaw in the fridge because it will be cooked the next day or the day after (Long weekend trips) Works for us.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I fuel with diesel so I never worry about the fridge on 20 ft behind.
But I do worry about the dumb smoker or the car idling while filling up.

The fridge stays on all the time even stored lately.

Haha, totally on the same page. I was like, why is everyone afraid of fueling with the trailer being so far back, and diesel not being flammable unless compressed. I understand the thought process (playing it 100% safe), but as bout as much a chance of the diesel catching fire as the fridge itself. Might worry a little if a car was gassing up right next to fridge side of the trailer...but that's about it.
mdrndaynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #26

I'm kinda new at towing, but I would have thought that the problem with towing on propane was in case there was an accident. If you wreck, what will stop the gas from leaking. No one apparently has had an accident while towing on propane. Not sure if anyone else has a 12v option, but that is the option I use while towing and have had no issues. Just my opinion.

Brandi
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
All of the propane tanks (portable and frame mounted), have an excess flow valve built into the shut off valve. In the case of a line breaking, the shudden flow will shut off the tank.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
All of the propane tanks (portable and frame mounted), have an excess flow valve built into the shut off valve. In the case of a line breaking, the shudden flow will shut off the tank. Ken
True if the leak is sudden. What if there is a small break and a flame from the fridge. I was told by my dealer that it is illegal here in California to drive with the propane on. I don't want to fight or be nit-picky with anyone.

Brandi
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, towing