Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The California issue has come up before and it is not illegal to tow with propane on in CA. If this were true, how would a propane powered car be able to run on the roads.

Generally, you can dismiss most anything a dealer will tell you. The insurance companies and lawyers have mounted a no propane campaign our of ignorance and selfishness.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #30

When I board a ferry a guards specific job usually is to make sure all RVs with propane tanks are closed. So everyone is aware that propane tanks are open on the road. I also keep the water hot.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #31

For others wondering, a 12V heating element only keeps the refr cold and not to be used to cool it down in the first place.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
For others wondering, a 12V heating element only keeps the refr cold and not to be used to cool it down in the first place.
And can easily run your batteries down in no time. One of our last RV's with a 3 way reefer was a Lance 815. Although It was running on propane as I was headed down I15 through Utah on a day with gusty winds. The propane blew out and the reefer switched to 12v. I made a lunch stop and noticed the TC battery was way down. That's when I discovered the reefer was on 12v. Additionally the fuse on the charge line from the truck had blown because of the current so the house battery was not being charged. That was the lad time I left that fridge on "auto."
Old 07-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #33

After seeing an TT accident on I-81, and the TT all smashed, I no longer run the fridge on propane while driving. Ironically, it was my first time with the propane OFF when viewing the above accident.
After a six hour drive, the fridge held its coldness enough for all to be good inside the fridge, with frozen still frozen.
I do turn on the fridge and have on the highest the day before traveling.
Safety first for me in traveling.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #34

Aside from being dangerous with the propane on, if the flame blows out you might wear out the igniter as it continuously tries to restart. More importantly if it doesn't restart you may have propane escaping which would be ex trebly dangerous.

Most fridges will keep cold for 4-6 hrs, so be safe and turn off you propane when travelling!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboutrail View Post
Aside from being dangerous with the propane on, if the flame blows out you might wear out the igniter as it continuously tries to restart. More importantly if it doesn't restart you may have propane escaping which would be ex trebly dangerous.

Most fridges will keep cold for 4-6 hrs, so be safe and turn off you propane when travelling!
So do you never have LP since it's dangerous?

Besides from the flame not blowing out because it's shielded, you don't "wear out" the ignitor.
Also, it doesn't keep escaping because, if it doesn't light after a certain amount of time, the solenoid shuts off.

There are safeties, ya know.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #36

10-4 On mine the ignigtor times out after a dozen or so time and if it doesn't lite the check lite comes on. Yes i tow with the propane on for frig.

Jim
Old 07-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I thought that was the advantage of having an absorption refer. Being able to cool it with gas while traveling. I can't imagine it being dangerous under most circumstances.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #38

I towed from Jersey to Florida and back and had the fridge on propane the whole time we travelled with no issues. If I don't keep it on the fridge takes hours to get to temp and puts a damper on our food rations.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #39

I live in Louisiana and sometimes travel for 750-1,000 miles (14-18 hrs/day) in the summer heat from east La through west Tx, etc. For many years I have always traveled with my fridge on propane. Being a chef, I know that food poisoning is much more likely than your RV catching fire. That's what I pay insurance for. I'd rather use my rv insurance than my health or life insurance though, wouldn't you?

I used to have a problem with the fridge flame blowing out occasionally when being passed by big trucks and towing through mountain passes with gusty side winds. I installed a Dometic a high wind kit to prevent the flame from blowing out while traveling down the road. My fridge has 12v capability, but it works much better on propane and it allows all the power flowing into my camper from my TV to recharge the battery while towing, as I mostly camp without hook-ups. I got the kit from AdventureRV.net for about $30 with shipping. Here's a link to the kit. http://www.adventurerv.net/baffle-kit-p-21023.html
It basically works by forcing the air take a rather circuitous path to get to the burner, preventing gusts of wind from blowing the flame out while traveling. Here's a few pics of it installed.

The kit consists of 4 pieces (2 components). 3, U-shaped pieces of sheet metal (Dometic calls them lower vent baffles) partially block the lower vents as seen here and are held on by one tiny plastic push pin each (easily removable by hand.) The instructions say that these may be removed once you arrive at your destination to improve fridge performance in very hot weather, but I have never found that to be a problem. I found that only 2 of the 3 door baffles was needed so I leave the top one off. My dual, 3 speed fridge fans draws so much air through the cooling coils that removing baffles in hot weather is not necessary.

The second component to the kit is this metal shroud which wraps around the burner cover and flue. It is secured by 2 small self-tapping screws.
Since this kit is a genuine Dometic item (same as my fridge) I feel safe using it.

Chip
Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushidogchip View Post
I used to have a problem with the fridge flame blowing out occasionally when being passed by big trucks and towing through mountain passes with gusty side winds. I installed a Dometic a high wind kit to prevent the flame from blowing out while traveling down the road. My fridge has 12v capability, but it works much better on propane and it allows all the power flowing into my camper from my TV to recharge the battery while towing, as I mostly camp without hook-ups. I got the kit from
You might want to see if you need a Dometic refr safety recall kit.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
We travel with our fridge and propane off all of the time. Several days before we leave I start the fridge. Couple days before I put in all of the frozen food we have previously frozen in the house freezer. This includes rib eye steaks, salmon, shrimp, etc (the freezer is pretty much full). The night before we leave the rest of the stuff goes into the fridge - milk, condiments, fruit and vegetables. When we leave the fridge contents are cold or frozen as appropriate and the fridge is at normal operating temperature.

Fridge is turned off as well as propane. My biggest concern is a cracked propane line may occur while traveling. Cannot hear the propane alarm from the truck. A friend had his Camaro and Boler burn when the trailer caught on fire. The only guess we could come up with had to do with the propane, either fridge or stove. Have seen several burned trailers sitting beside the road during our travels. No guess what caused the fire as it could have been smoking materials as much as anything else. Did not stop to ask.

We keep the doors to the fridge closed unless getting something for lunch. The door is opened briefly a couple times. No standing with the door open pondering whether to have a light or regular beer.

At the end of the day we stop. First thing the propane and fridge are turned on. Leave the propane and fridge on overnight and fridge is back to operating temp. If we stop in a CG we plug in and do not turn on the propane. I have checked and after traveling from Las Vegas to Yuma (100+) the beer is still cold and the frozen food is frozen (no partial thawing).

While manufacturers say you can leave the fridge on they do not own the RV. They are not inconvenienced, nor do they lose anything should the RV burn. I know RV have burned due to faulty propane however the stats on it are vague because those kind of records are not kept for accidents.

Because of our experience with the fridge staying cold for a days travel I can see no benefit to leaving it on. Risk is low but any risk that is avoided is. . . . . .
Old 07-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 4 solar panels on my roof. With the energy they provide and that of the alternator with the engine running, I travel down the road with the refer on elec.
When space permits, I always keep frozen water bottles in the freezer. I use them for my portable drink cooler and place them in the refrigerator to help it re-chill faster when returning from the grocery store.

Tags
propane, towing