Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Propane/Frig. While Towing

Just got into a debate as where it's ok to run your frig. on propane while towing, i said we do, he says no no. I'm a doing wrong ?????
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we owned a TT & 5-r, we didn't have the fridge on while towing. We pre-cooled it prior to trips & were sure to put in only pre-cooled food. For the short times we had the propane off, the fridge stayed plenty cold enough.

The reason we did this, was I was uncomfortable having propane on in a RV that was being towed behind us & not able to easily see or hear what was going on w/it. For me, it was a safety issue. Right or wrong, I can't say.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I have logged 30K+ miles with our TT and have always run the reefer while moving. The only exception is when we refuel as the open flame will cause a hazard. I've read the owner's manual and there is nothing mentioned about not running it while moving.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Nice, one of the more controversial topics discussed on these forums -- should be interesting.

I run with fridge on. If I have to get fuel in route, and remember, I'll turn it off for that few minutes but other than that it's burning gas.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubhouse View Post
Nice, one of the more controversial topics discussed on these forums -- should be interesting.

I run with fridge on. If I have to get fuel in route, and remember, I'll turn it off for that few minutes but other than that it's burning gas.
Ditto on that, for the last 30 years here.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the 30 years of RVing, we run the frig on propane and have yet to blow up anything. When I arrive, I want my ice cream frozen, beer and steaks cold and no chance of food poisoning.

In the northern areas, you can get by with leaving the cooled frig off for a few hours. In the south, that will not work so well.

Ken
Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is an "auto" button. Use it. The only time ever to turn off the fridge. Fueling and propane refill.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #8

The manufacturers state it is designed to run on LP going down the road. The majority leave it on auto and run it on LP as designed.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I leave it on while on the road. The only time I would turn it off is if going through a tunnel where the propane must be turned off at the tank.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
There is an "auto" button. Use it. The only time ever to turn off the fridge. Fueling and propane refill.
Same here for last 22 years.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #11

Just bought my first TT, during the walk through the dealership said that they do not recommend running fridge while towing due to the open flame. I mentioned this to my neighbor who has had 5rs for years, he laughed and said I'd be crazy not to. After reading this I'm pretty sure mostly everyone does. Planning a 12 hour tow to the outer banks in June, don't think I will run it for this trip due to a few tunnels along the way and refueling but shorter trips seems like a no brainer.
RyRo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #12

@RyRo70 -- 12hr trips is exactly when you run it.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #13

Just don't plan on taking any food with us, will load up when we get there so I figured I would have enough time for it to get cold once I set up.
RyRo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRo70 View Post
I figured I would have enough time for it to get cold once I set up.
It can take hours for the refrigerator and freezer to get down to the temps you need. I noticed in the summer that when the side of my trailer with the refrigerator is facing south, it seems to take forever for it to get cold, but when that side is in the shade, it doesn't even take an hour.

Bruce

Tags
propane, towing