Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #1

Propane gas detector

Wife and I were sitting here tonight and the propane detector started going off. All burners on the stove/oven were off and there was no smell of propane in the trailer, outside around the tanks or outside at all. Must it be propane or could the sensor be defective? Help it is driving us crazy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #2

They do go bad for no apparent reason too. Some LPG/CO2 detectors will go 20 years and still work ok, others, especially newer ones only seem to last a few years. If you look on the back of your detector (or the side) it most likely has a recommended replacement date or a date of manufacture. Most have a recommended replacement life of every 5-7 yrs from the manufacturers.

You can always remove it from the wall (even if it has a 12v plug on the back it will still have a 9V battery inside it) and take it outside to see if it's behavior is the same. If not then I suggest having a tech do an LP leak and pressure drop test on your unit ASAP. It is entirely possible that the detector is working properly.

You might consider placing your RV info in your signature line. This will help others by knowing exactly what brand/model you have when you post with questions in the future.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
They do go bad for no apparent reason too. Some LPG/CO2 detectors will go 20 years and still work ok, others, especially newer ones only seem to last a few years. If you look on the back of your detector (or the side) it most likely has a recommended replacement date or a date of manufacture. Most have a recommended replacement life of every 5-7 yrs from the manufacturers.

You can always remove it from the wall (even if it has a 12v plug on the back it will still have a 9V battery inside it) and take it outside to see if it's behavior is the same. If not then I suggest having a tech do an LP leak and pressure drop test on your unit ASAP. It is entirely possible that the detector is working properly.

You might consider placing your RV info in your signature line. This will help others by knowing exactly what brand/model you have when you post with questions in the future.
Thanks Newmar for the info. I have a 2011 Keystone Sprinter TT 35". I took the detector out and brought it to my favorite RV store and they said sometimes the sensor get "gunk" on it and that causes it to go crazy. Bought a new and will install it tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are on the west coast, the night is young, it is new years, you might consider putting that thing in tonight. Not that tough of a job and if it goes off then you know you have a problem other than a bad unit. Just a thought.

Happy New Year.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several things that can set off an EXPLOSIVE GAS detector (the proper name for it). Propane is just one explosive gas.

But first: What was the alarm pattern,, A beep, followed by 1/2 to 1 or more minutes of silence and then another BEEP, repeating, is a system error, often low battery, but other issues are possible including "I'm too old replace me please"

The true ALARM state is way more annoying.

Now: Propane: Methane (Farts) Alcohol, Gasoline, Butane (Ciggy lighter) are SOME of the gases that can set it off.. Some spray cans use explosive propellent (Air freshner, hair spray, Spray oils and cleaners).

Long list.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #6

Had a propane detector go off in the middle of the night once. It was concerning to say the least. I went outside immediatly and shut off the main propane valve and then opened all the windows and door. Did not want to put anything electrical on until I had determined it was ok so no fans at this time. The thing was still screaming, I tried reset to no avail, it kept on screaming. This was in a campground and when I spoke to my neighbors in the morning I found out they heard it alright. Especially after the windows and door were open. I did apologize.

It was mounted near the floor and it had to be removed with a screwdriver. I had to go to my toolbox compartment outside to get the tools to take this darn thing off so I could unplug it. There was no internal battery in it. Anyway it turned out to be a faulty detector which I replaced the next day. This one was 3 years old according to the date on the back of it.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[
The true ALARM state is way more annoying.

Now: Propane: Methane (Farts) Alcohol, Gasoline, Butane (Ciggy lighter) are SOME of the gases that can set it off.. Some spray cans use explosive propellent (Air freshner, hair spray, Spray oils and cleaners).

Long list.[/QUOTE]

Sure enough, I installed a fantastic in our bath area so now when my wife uses some of her sprays she can exhaust them outside before they settle. I know it hurts to be pretty (which she is) but it also hurts to get on my knees to fiddle with the thing.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

Bad propane sensor

Thanks for all the replies. I installed the new sensor yesterday and it works fine. No screeching faults at 11;30pm and tests fine. The defective sensor I removed was only 2 years old. I gave the rep at the RV store my extended warranty info on the trailer and he is going to submit it to see if I can get some of my money back. Yes or no the peace and quiet are worth it.

Tags
gas, propane