Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 09:53 PM   #15

Kix,
Hmm. It is a 1980 trailer and to light the oven, I turn knob on and put lighter in the oven near a rectangular piece of metal that is about 3.5"x3.5". It is under the metal rack where food is put. Propane doesn't flow out of that until the knob is turned on. Same for burners. Am I understanding correctly?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #16

age of TT

i would recommend you buy a propane sniffer and check the entire propane

system given the age of the TT

Jim

Old 02-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #17

It is a 1980 trailer, with a major gas leak, and you are just learning about propane on the go, by experimenting. I think I'm gonna have a shot of Maker's Mark and read another thread. Good luck with your diy project.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I stated earlier, check the stove regulator. It is probably not leaking at the fittings but at the regulator part. There is a gasket between the two parts of the regulator. It may be dried out. On the older ones you could take them apart, but newer ones are permanently sealed.
They are not that expensive. The one in my 2005 Winnebago motorhome was only five years old. I'm betting the one in your TT is the original and leaking. The inexpensive tester you're buying from Amazon will confirm that.
Attached Images

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarteBlanche View Post
Kix,
Hmm. It is a 1980 trailer and to light the oven, I turn knob on and put lighter in the oven near a rectangular piece of metal that is about 3.5"x3.5". It is under the metal rack where food is put. Propane doesn't flow out of that until the knob is turned on. Same for burners. Am I understanding correctly?
Yes. If you lift the stove top you will see the layout of runner tubes and pilot light (s). My 1986 Magic Chef has a valve to turn the fuel to the pilot light on and off.

Usually the gas ovens that have a pilot light either have an always on pilot light or a light when you want to use the oven pilot. On the latter there is a mark on the oven regulator knob for "Pilot."

The "gas" odor has to be pretty strong before its dangerous. That being said, is there anything interesting in your estate, stuff we might be interested in?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #20
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToolmaker View Post
Yes. If you lift the stove top you will see the layout of runner tubes and pilot light (s). My 1986 Magic Chef has a valve to turn the fuel to the pilot light on and off.

Usually the gas ovens that have a pilot light either have an always on pilot light or a light when you want to use the oven pilot. On the latter there is a mark on the oven regulator knob for "Pilot."
..................X2
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #21

Ha ha, thanks for the sarcasm guys. I did state in my OP that I am aware of how severe a problem this is, and that being said, am not taking naps in the trailer between DIY diagnosis, nor am I lighting candles for ambiance. In fact, I check the alarm through the window and the trailer is parked in the center of my 40 acre ranch so if it does go up, it won't damage anything and it will be fun to watch.
This is me:

Do I look like a moron? Please say no.
Just so everyone isn't clamoring to be first in line when I'm blown to bits and my estate is auctioned, I have made an appointment at the local RV place with a CERTIFIED tech to diagnose the issue. But I'm still curious so.....

Some of you offered some advice about under the stove top. Voila! I found some interesting stuff:
Is the little silver box in the lower left hand corner the pressure regulator?
There are several fittings here that I can spray down with soapy water too:

Does anyone else see anything here that is glaringly wrong (aside from the arm going to the back right burner being broken off, lol, I reattached it already).

Also here is a pic of the oven knob

It really is turned to off, the angle of the photo makes it look not.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #22
KIX

The silver square in the lower left of your photo is the appliance regulator. In the center of the stove top is the standing pilot. Follow the pilot tube from the pilot back to the regulator. IN that tube or at the regulator there will be a valve to shut off the pilot tube gas. The valve may be a simple screw rather than a handle type valve.
If the pilot tube gas is shut off you'll need to check the appliance regulator vent for leak. If it leaks at the vent the leak will be internal and regulator replacement is the answer.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With a picture like that you should get lots of offers for help!!! Quite lovely.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #24

stove

maybe its time for a new one , maybe????

Jim
Old 02-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #25

I know your mom said to use your words but pictures are easier to understand sometimes. Your oven regulator know has a position for Pilots. There may be another valve of some sort for the burner pilots but in general you turn the oven knob to pilots and light the stove top pilot in the middle there and the oven pilot where ever that is.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #26

You guys have all been awesome, thank you so much for your feedback. Kix, I'm going to take a closer look at what you mentioned. Should get to it tomorrow. Keymastr, thank you for the compliment. Everyone here has been incredibly nice and helpful regardless. Sprayman, Ha ha, just maybe. Baraff, I think you are right, should be confirmed before Saturday. Thanks for the pic, very helpful!
This forum is so great, I can't thank you guys enough. You have made a newbie feel like this IS possible! I will post when the leak has been found!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #27

Just checking back in with you all....I am still alive! I was able to see, quite faint, but still detectable a "turn pilot off" on stove top. That is where the "leak" was coming from. I still took it in for service to make sure there were no others. Now super excited about taking her out with propane working.

Tags
leak, propane