Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Propane line in the way - How to move it?

I'm trying to install the JoyRider Shock system (red shocks) on my TT. I failed to make sure I had enough room to mount the upper plate because I only looked on the drivers side of the TT. On the passenger side all the way down the main frame Rail the Propane line is attached. This is in the way to mount the upper shock bracket.

I'm wondering what options I have to fix this. I don't have time to let the trailer sit at a shop for weeks to be corrected as we leave in a few weeks for a camping trip. The pipe is so long I thought I could detach it and "bow" it around the plates I need to mount but I'm a little concerned about causing a leak. Other idea is to space it down from the frame a little to allow for clearance (still bowing the pipe). The last idea is to hire a HVAC/Plumber to come out and cut the pipe and reroute the pipe around the shock mounts.

Anyone have a better idea?

Below is a picture of the rusty line above my axles.

Joe

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Line.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	88541

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turn off the valve at the LP tank. Cut the gas line, put in some fittings and go over or around the obstacle or replace the entire line with copper. Then use soapwater to check for leaks.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know about the USA but in Canada I don't believe copper is approved for use in propane lines.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't think I would use copper in this situation. It's soft and something might get thrown up and cut it. You could just buy some fittings and short pieces to relocate it toward the center more. Since its a gas line, you should use black pipe.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #5

The pipe appears to be black pipe. If I were to cut it how would I attach the new fittings? All of the current fittings seem to be threaded.

I also found out that I can't drill the needed holes for the upper shock mount even if I move the gas line. The leaf spring suspension is in the way. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to remove the shackles to gain access for drilling, no such luck.

Joe
Old 03-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You would need a threading machine like they have at Home Depot or Lowes if you cut it. That's why I suggested short pieces, they can be bought threaded. Take some pictures at the ends so we can see how it gets underneath to give a better idea what you have to work with.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denlock View Post
You would need a threading machine like they have at Home Depot or Lowes if you cut it. That's why I suggested short pieces, they can be bought threaded. Take some pictures at the ends so we can see how it gets underneath to give a better idea what you have to work with.
To expand on this, HD will cut and thread pipe you buy from them for custom lengths. Might be easier like that. They may even thread your pipe for a small fee. Hand threaders are available at a lot of rental shops
Old 03-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The pipe you want to cut will have to be removed from the TT. Dexter and Trail-rite both make a rubber cushioned device that replaces the center pivot on the leafs. That and HD shackle suspension that can be greased is the way I went.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #9

Highway, I may also upgrade to the HD shackle suspension at a later date. I have to look into it more and also the Trail-rite system. Did you install that system yourself?

My opinion is that any sprung suspension should have dampers built into it from the factory, doesn't matter that nobody is riding in the trailer when going down the road. Less vibration should do nothing but help the staples and Duct tape they build these trailers from hold together a little longer. Not to mention all of the HVAC and MEP systems that are getting seriously shaken around when I'm driving up I95N.

You guys are right about cutting the pipe. Figure I can assemble the "Chicane" I need from a few fittings and pipe at the Home Depot. I'm guessing that I'd need a Union to put it back together under the trailer otherwise I'd need to pull 2/3 of my propane piping down in order to thread everything together. It's dark right now or I'd go outside and get a few more pictures.

Joe
Old 03-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I put the Dexter system on my Sunnybrook 2002 26CKS. The hardest part was getting the thing jacked up with blocks under the frame. Not sure if it rode better but it sure was quieter with the lube able shackle bolts and rubber cushioned center rocker. I agree with you about the shocks but I would not loose any sleep over not having them.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:24 AM   #11

My gas line runs down the passenger side of my Prowler in the frame channelabout an inch up off the low lip but protected. I also have shocks whichwere a factory option. The factory takes great care protecting your gas linefrom being ruptured.

While running black iron pipe (gas line) is pretty straight forwardyou need to use fittings to get around things bowing is not a method used byhvac. Vinyl (yellow) coated copper line I believe is only used on your finalconnection to ridged pipe.

I’ll look at my shock mounting pointslater this morning and let you know just to give you some ideas. You might want to have a hvac look at it and give you a quote they'll have everything right there(they should) No running back and fourth to HD and Their fairly quick.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #12

Update:

I ended up paying a professional to install the brackets and I'm glad I did. Their solution was elegant and much faster (and cheaper) than what I was planning. They took off the wheels, dropped the propane line out of the way, welded the brackets in place and then reattached the Propane line back where it was. It only moved the line about 1/4" to go over the brackets. No leaks and we just used the camper in Spruce Pine, NC for a week with no heating issues. 17 degrees the first night. Froze the water inside my ladder and split the seam a little bit :(

The shocks really seem to "slow down" my trailer and certainly damped the vibrations and bumps. I'm glad I did this upgrade. Doing it again I'd just let a professional deal with it unless the frame was totally clear of any obstructions.

I'm also glad I had 4X4, we almost got stuck when pulling up to our campsite at Bear Den. 4X4 low range solved that issue.

Only gripe I have now is that South Carolina doesn't take care of their interstates like I take care of my TV & TT I95, I26 and I85 are brutal to all of your fillings and suspension parts.

Joe
Old 04-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #13

Glad it worked out. Sometimes it's nicer just to pay someone to do it that does it all the time
Old 04-09-2015, 01:32 AM   #14

jbenoit28

Tags
propane