Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #1

Propane Tankless Water Heater

I've been looking longingly at some tank-less water heaters and I would appreciate hearing your collective wisdom.

I've been looking at a GIRARD GSWH-2 TANKLESS but it seems kind of spendy. Is this one a good value for the money? Reliable? Anything better out there?

I'm looking for a shower experience like (similar) to home.

TIA

Chris
andersce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Our Winnebago came with a tankless water heater. While it is adequate, it is far from perfect. It cycles on and off while you are showering and you instantly go from very hot to cold. I think shower experience is because of the short distance between the shower head and the heater combined with little insulation. Of course, this is only a guess. For trailer applications, a better strategy is to store a tank of hot water and then feed it out at a steady pace.

I may be wrong as to the cause of the cycling effect but I can say for sure that it is not anywhere near the experience in a home shower with a tankless heater.

Mike
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
a better strategy is to store a tank of hot water and then feed it out at a steady pace.

I may be wrong as to the cause of the cycling effect but I can say for sure that it is not anywhere near the experience in a home shower with a tankless heater.

Mike
This is a theory that needs to be tested in the RV world. I think it would work great.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #4

Propane Tankless Water Heater

As a person who sells tankless heaters for residential & commercial applications I will say that you are defeating the purpose of a "tankless" water heater if you add a storage tank. The distance between the heater & the point of use should not matter. A tankless heater is not designed to heater water that is stored. Unless you you have a water recirculating system. It is an instantaneous heater.
If your heater is cycling and is not delivering constant hot water you may need to have it inspected to make sure it is getting the correct amount of LP required and correct water flow. There could be many reasons for the cycling and the unreliable amount of heated water.
You may also want to make sure the heater is designed for the demand that you are putting on the heater. They usually have a GPM rating, and if you are taking long showers the unit may not be designed for the GPM demand. They can be designed for as low as 0.2GPM(single faucet) to 9GPM(high demand)
robertb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #5

Truma

That"s what I had in the Dynamax I just sold... Worked great... Have heard bad things about all the other RV specific units
Frank Tamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertb38 View Post
As a person who sells tankless heaters for residential & commercial applications I will say that you are defeating the purpose of a "tankless" water heater if you add a storage tank. The distance between the heater & the point of use should not matter. A tankless heater is not designed to heater water that is stored. Unless you you have a water recirculating system. It is an instantaneous heater.
If your heater is cycling and is not delivering constant hot water you may need to have it inspected to make sure it is getting the correct amount of LP required and correct water flow. There could be many reasons for the cycling and the unreliable amount of heated water.
You may also want to make sure the heater is designed for the demand that you are putting on the heater. They usually have a GPM rating, and if you are taking long showers the unit may not be designed for the GPM demand. They can be designed for as low as 0.2GPM(single faucet) to 9GPM(high demand)
To be clear, I was not suggesting adding a tank to a tankless unit. I was just stating that a unit with a tank may make more sense in an RV.

The cycling problem is a common complaint on the Winnebago units. Maybe it is a problem with the brand, I don't know.

This is an trailer where we conserve grey water storage so no long showers for us.

Mike
Old 03-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #7

Quote:
To be clear, I was not suggesting adding a tank to a tankless unit. I was just stating that a unit with a tank may make more sense in an RV.

The cycling problem is a common complaint on the Winnebago units. Maybe it is a problem with the brand, I don't know.

This is an trailer where we conserve grey water storage so no long showers for us.

Mike

I was replying to the other posts as well as yours. Tankless heaters are great if they are sized correctly. If it is cycling I would have someone look at it before replacing it. It may be a simple issue that can be fixed with a part. And could cost alot less than a new unit.
robertb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
It cycles on and off while you are showering and you instantly go from very hot to cold.
Mike,

Thanks for your response. In researching these water heaters I ran across some posts that talked about adjusting the temp to "match" the GPM so you can "tune" it to your particular use.

I obviously haven't tried this, but it might be worth a look.

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-31-2017, 07:37 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Precision Temp tankless in the motorhome. Works well.

Bosch tankless in the sticks and bricks for ~15 years. Died from old age and replaced by Rhreem tankless. Both have worked well.

I like tankless. Endless hot water for showering. No wasted energy maintaining the heated tank of water.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:44 AM   #10

If you do a bit of digging you will find a few happy folks with tankless in an RV. You will find a large list of unhappy one's.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersce View Post
Mike,

Thanks for your response. In researching these water heaters I ran across some posts that talked about adjusting the temp to "match" the GPM so you can "tune" it to your particular use.

I obviously haven't tried this, but it might be worth a look.

Thanks

Chris
Thanks Chris. This is interesting. I use a simple flow restrictor. It might be worth getting one of the fancy adjustable ones so I can precisely set the flow rate and then adjust the water heater based on that. I'll have to look into this...

As a side note: The manufacturer of our water heater says that tankless heaters don't work well with navy showers. They also claim that navy showers put more water in your grey tank than a "regular" shower. The first part of their claim is believable but I found the second part dubious. We tested this theory on a weekend trip last year. Using navy showers we can go 3+ days without emptying the grey water tank. With regular showers we made it 2 days. Plus it didn't improve the performance of the heater.

Mike
Old 04-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #12

Mike,

Quote:
worth getting one of the fancy adjustable ones so I can precisely set the flow rate
I never thought about a flow restrictor. The post I saw just used the regular output flow from the heater. I'll have to check into this flow restrictor stuff.

Quote:
tankless heaters don't work well with navy showers.
Ha, I had to look that one up :-) So what I'm shooting for is a Hollywood shower ;-)

Chris
Old 04-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #13
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If you do a bit of digging you will find a few happy folks with tankless in an RV. You will find a large list of unhappy one's.
We are one of the very unhappy ones. We had Girard version 1 and 2 system.
It didn't meet are needs. There is no option to heat water with electricity...propane only. It was difficult to control water temperature. We had surges of cold and hot.
We like to boon dock and like to have the 6 extra gallons of water in the hot water tank. Outdoors RV Manufacturing replaced our Girard system free of charge with a tank type. Northwood and Outdoors RV do not use the tankless system in their product line up. I would like a 10 gallon tank type.
Depending on your needs the tankless system may work for you.
Imho with respect.
Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, propane, tank, water, water heater