Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

Smile Propane use

Looking to get my first TT. I notice that many have dual propane tanks. Wondering if they really both get used in a year by casual users. I'm planning on 20-30 days a year using my TT. In my research the 'fridge doesn't appear to use much propane, and cooking outside over a fire is how we would prefer to do things. We do a lot of the tent camping and enjoy it. Most of our time in the TT will e summer and early fall so not much use for the furnace.
The question is. Do you really NEED two tanks in such a situation as what we plan? And as a bonus question I guess. Same for two batteries? No real boondocking is planned.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

I would get the two propane tanks. We had that set up on our Camper, and when the first one went empty we always had the second one as a backup. Propane will last a long time, but if you camp where you need the heater, that is what uses up the propane. For the most part two tanks will last about a year or so depending on how much and what you use them for. It's always nice to have two batteries as you never know when you will be boondocking, or maybe staying in a CG that you couldn't get a spot with hookups, or the CG loses it's power. My advice is those are fairly inexpensive additions, but are really nice to have when you need them or try to sell the TT.

Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To answer your question, probably not, depending on heater/furnace use.

But consider the various tank and storage capabilities a part of your disaster plan.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #4

Sounds like you could get away with one tank.
If you are plugged in at the campground . Run fridge on Elec . just keep an eye on the level before each
Trip . The stove doesn't use much propane .
We bought a pop up 4 years ago . We mostly used.
Stove in the morning for breakfast. That's all we used
The propane for . There is still propane in it .
We did buy a used TT and it had two tanks.
I took them off and put one on the grill and other
On my house ( stove and dryer run on propane ).
I want to start with two full tanks to see how long
They last . Have fun.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

If you don't plan on much boondocking, and normally get 30A service, get a little portable heater. Why use your propane when you can use their power?
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

Ours has two. We've used he furnace about 4 times in 4 years. We use the propane for the heater when we have many showers, otherwise the electric is fine. Used the oven about 4 times (brownies, pizza rolls). Used the stove top for Mac n cheese and sides, but the main cooking is over the fire or the grill outside. Use the propane to keep the fridge on while traveling (shhhh the safety police will shout soon). So, we just filled the tanks this year about half way through the 4th season with casual use. We've had a few trips in early May where it got in the 30's and the furnace ran quite a bit. I'd say if you only want one you should be fine just too it off each season.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

It's nice to have a back up in case of malfunction or power outages. They don't take up much space. I always have the 2 tanks and bring a 3rd in the bed of the truck, I may run into someone who has run out and can help them out. I'm in a cold climate and just got my trailer in April and my first 12 days out the night got below 40 degrees F. I used the furnace and a Mr Buddy. My water heater is propane only so I use that everyday too. I've been out about 60 nights since April and my first propane tank just went empty last week. I'm about 50/50 camping with power and boondocking.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ptspike View Post
Looking to get my first TT. I notice that many have dual propane tanks. Wondering if they really both get used in a year by casual users. I'm planning on 20-30 days a year using my TT. In my research the 'fridge doesn't appear to use much propane, and cooking outside over a fire is how we would prefer to do things. We do a lot of the tent camping and enjoy it. Most of our time in the TT will e summer and early fall so not much use for the furnace.
The question is. Do you really NEED two tanks in such a situation as what we plan? And as a bonus question I guess. Same for two batteries? No real boondocking is planned.
Thanks
Get the dual tanks. We have dual 20# tanks with the automatic switchover regulator, and I like that very much. Brand new TT this season, we've been out for almost 30 days so far. Used the furnace for about 10 days early in the season; most of the propane use was for cooking, and to run the fridge while driving. The first tank ran dry late in the 3rd outing, after well over 20 days of use, and it switched over to the second tank by itself. Love the feature.

Can't speak for batteries, since we almost never use ours. We're almost always on shore power or pulling 12v from the TV. No boondocking.

Roger
Old 08-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #9

I have no batteries. I used to 12 volt batteries. Wish I had gone to the GC sixes. I also have to 30 pound propane tanks. They will last me a good year maybe a half before needing refilled. The DW loves to bake. Even in that little oven which she likes a lot. Never argue with a better half who loves to bake. We dry camp or Boondock a lot. But not all the time. I would think the two batteries in the two tanks are always a good idea. Not necessary in the normal application but still a good way to go. As I said before, really cheap insurance in case of any issues. Light power outages or things that do come up. We like to camp in national parks and state parks a lot and if they are really full sometimes you're not going to get an electric slot. That's when the batteries really come in handy so the truth is it really depends on what you're going to do in reality more than just what you think you're going to do. You may find you like boondocking because there are some places that where your Boondock you will find some beautiful scenery and not very crowded. ... Dusty
Old 08-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We do not spend much time in cold areas. The trailer has two 40# tanks and generally we will go through 40# in about a year. We run the water heater on electric and the frig is a residential electric only. We have two heat pumps that take care of the heating when the outside temperature is above 40 degF. Below 40 degF we will use a couple of 1500 Watt heaters to stay warm and set the propane furnace to come one if the space heaters cannot keep up.

So the propane is used mostly fro the surface range and some furnace.

I like having two bottles with the change over switch. I cooler weather, I check the change over valve every couple of days when I am expecting a change to the standby bottle.

Ken
Old 08-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Did you know you need at least one battery? Need it for the 12v ebrake disconnect on the trailer. Yikes!
Old 08-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #12

Mind you, my trailer never moves (its a cheap house for me, and the slide is forever stuck in extended position, there is zero 12V so zero trailer brakes or exterior lights, and the tires are shot) but I wouldn't touch propane or natural gas with a 40 foot pole after what my great grandmother went through back in '82. Having a ticking time bomb that can take out two city blocks in a catastrophic explosion, and in something as thin and fragile as a mobile home, using 'fire' of any kind seems dumb to me.

if the explosion doesn't kill you, the CO will, and even CO detectors aren't 100%, and if you're like me, and sleep like a dead person, you won't likely even hear the thing when it's most likely to go off, like 2 in the morning.

I long ago switched to residential fridge and electric heat, and run the water heater in electric mode, and hardly cook so I got a single electric burner and the stove is a glorified surface for a crock pot.

I will be soon moving into a sticks and bricks later this year but seeing local news reports of homes that 'just exploded' being blamed on gas companies having pressure problems and causing lines to burst scares the hell out of me so it will be electric stoves and such there. You can forget with any attempts at convincing me how gas is 'clean and safe'

my great grandmother thought her Hotpoint stove was safe too, until she got hospitalized for a big 'boom'
Old 08-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdalzell1 View Post
Mind you, my trailer never moves (its a cheap house for me, and the slide is forever stuck in extended position, there is zero 12V so zero trailer brakes or exterior lights, and the tires are shot) but I wouldn't touch propane or natural gas with a 40 foot pole after what my great grandmother went through back in '82. Having a ticking time bomb that can take out two city blocks in a catastrophic explosion, and in something as thin and fragile as a mobile home, using 'fire' of any kind seems dumb to me.

if the explosion doesn't kill you, the CO will, and even CO detectors aren't 100%, and if you're like me, and sleep like a dead person, you won't likely even hear the thing when it's most likely to go off, like 2 in the morning.

I long ago switched to residential fridge and electric heat, and run the water heater in electric mode, and hardly cook so I got a single electric burner and the stove is a glorified surface for a crock pot.

I will be soon moving into a sticks and bricks later this year but seeing local news reports of homes that 'just exploded' being blamed on gas companies having pressure problems and causing lines to burst scares the hell out of me so it will be electric stoves and such there. You can forget with any attempts at convincing me how gas is 'clean and safe'

my great grandmother thought her Hotpoint stove was safe too, until she got hospitalized for a big 'boom'
Not here trying to convince anyone....but to the flipside of your misconception of propane and natural gas is that millions of houses, apt and business use natural gas and propane with NO problems or explosions.

By your statement, you should never use an airplane for travel because they crash, or never driver your RV, trailer or 5th wheel because of a possible blow out. Don't go outside in the sun because you might get skin cancer. I could go on and on but it really does not matter to me that you don't use propane or gas, what will you use if a natural disaster happens?
Old 08-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Or eat any fiber.

Tags
propane