Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Propane valve on hot water tank not closing

Hi guys,

New here, first post. I did a quick search through old posts but didn't find anything. I've got a issue with the propane control valve for my hot water tank. The valve works fine when i need it to heat water, but when i turn it to off, the pilot does not extinguish and there is a constant small leak of propane out of the burner line. This leak continues until all the propane in the lines is exhausted. My question is, is there a way to adjust the closing of the valve or do i need to replace this valve? The valve in question is an Atwood MPD-91043

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfa001 View Post
Hi guys,

New here, first post. I did a quick search through old posts but didn't find anything. I've got a issue with the propane control valve for my hot water tank. The valve works fine when i need it to heat water, but when i turn it to off, the pilot does not extinguish and there is a constant small leak of propane out of the burner line. This leak continues until all the propane in the lines is exhausted. My question is, is there a way to adjust the closing of the valve or do i need to replace this valve? The valve in question is an Atwood MPD-91043

I had a similar issue on my suburban heater. faint smell of propane at all times near the valved. replaced valve and its all good now. cost me about $75. lost about $20 worth of propane before I figured it all out lol

and when you say it continues until propane in the line is exhausted, are you saying you shut off the tank and continue to smell it until it exhausted, meaning it smells at all times when the propane is switched on?

Old 09-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #3

that is correct, if i close the valves on the propane tanks, the pilot will continue to burn until the lines are empty. Looks like i'll have to shop around to find a new valve then.

Did you do the work yourself? any tips?
Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

if you look down though the threads you will find the one from when I had the issue. a lot of people on here helped me, it was actually probly the first repair I tackled and this is my first trailer. it was super easy.

get the model number of your water heater and go to the dealer and order the valve. this is what I did in this order

turn off propane

remove valve

put flange nut in the copper line where the valve connects (that way you can still use propane and it all wont shoot out the line) basically you just cap the line. I had to do this because the dealer had to order the valve in for me.

turn on propane and keep camping

when the new one comes just take the flange nut out of the line and put the new valve on.

I took pictures of the current valve before I took it off just so I could remember what wires went to what connection. I also kept the old valve just in case and its a good thing I did because new valves don't come with the brass elbows etc.

best of luck...you wont need luck though its an easier repair you just need a set of wrenches and common sense.

Tags
water, propane, tank