Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #1

Propane Water Heaters.

I`m new at this travel trailer camping thing,so this might sound strange.I have a ? about whether to keep you hot water heater on( the entire camping trip)are just turn it on when your gonna need it.It only takes 20 mins to get hot.I just don`t want to waste gas ,keeping the water heather on.
jlwilliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #2

We leave ours on all the time when camping. It kicks on as needed... once or twice a day, otherwise it uses no propane at all. We have the DSI model, no pilot light.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
On all the time, uses very little LP
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
i leave it on electic 24x7. turn on the gas when taking a shower.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We're the same as John: electric all the time & turn on the gas only at shower time. That's the only time we use such a volume of hot water that we need the quicker recovery the propane heater provides.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #6

I keep the hot water heater on entire trip. Think of it just like your house, you dont turn it off when not using it.

I too have a DSI with electric heater as well, if we are ever in a campground I will use the electric, but that is rare.
Once camp is set up, I make sure fridge, water heater, ect.. are running.
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #7

Ours is on propane twice daily. On when we arise- for showers, washing dishes,etc, then off until evening for the same ritual. Water stays hot enough for hand washing round the clock. Total run time_ about 30 min/24hrs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Ours is on propane twice daily. On when we arise- for showers, washing dishes,etc, then off until evening for the same ritual. Water stays hot enough for hand washing round the clock. Total run time_ about 30 min/24hrs.
Same for us...on at breakfast and again after dinner to do dishes and clean up for bedtime. The rest of the day it is warm enough. I don't like to hear it run in the middle of the night. I hear pennies being wasted, but I am very cheap.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If we're in an RV park where we are not paying for electric, we leave our electric water heater on all the time. However, if we're dry camping or boondocking, we only turn on the propane when we need hot water.

The propane WILL come on each time the water temperature goes down to a certain level. We've been parked next to people who leave their propane water heater on all the time, and we have to listen to it kick on all night long...very irritating!
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #10

The water temperature (electric and propane) on most HWH’s are controlled by non-adjustable “snap stats” Check the ON/Off set points of both of them. You may have to copy the model #s etc and got to an electrical supply house to cross reference them.
Purchase/install a new propane “snap stat” that has about a 10 degree lower ON set point than the electric stat. That way other than on initial heat up, when the HWH cools slightly only electricity will be used. When a lot of water is used and the bulk temp of the HWH cools to below the propane set point then both heat sources will be on. As it is heating up the propane heat turns OFF first. IE- Use their elect and not my propane.
Richard
Old 10-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #11

I guess I should preface my post with "When hooked up to non metered electricity-----

Richard
Old 10-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
We leave ours on all the time and it doesn't use much propane at all. Our rig has a big lp gas tank 50Gal due to the Gennerator being propane so the Water Heater is in the noise.

Dick
Old 10-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends.. Heater in my coach is dual power. Gas/Electric, Now Gas I pay for, so I only turn it on when needed.. Electric, usually, is paid for as part of the site rental for short term sites (you pay by the KWH on long term) so... If the park's buying........