Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Propane while traveling?

While traveling is it safe to run the propane so the fridge will keep things cold?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Final word is YES!!!!!!! Most everybody does it and have for years. Most don't even shut it off while filling with fuel. As a kid when we had the car filled at the Service Station most all the station attendants smoked while filling your tank. Never saw a single car explode.

TeJay

Old 05-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Yes that us how it was designed. Do not smoke near lp.
It has a safety device in case of blow out while traveling.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I took the AEON sponsored RV safety course the instructor said to always turn Propane OFF.. The reaon is there is that one in a very large number accident where a propane line gets severed. If that happens of course safety devices will engage to limit the flow of propane.

The other danger is a fridge fire.. These happen.. But answer this.. IF yours is the one in a somewhat smaller, but still quite large number, of fridges that decides to FLAME ON..

Would you rather it do so while you are on your way to the FMCA rally, were you can get off and get out and your rig is toast but no other damage.

Or while you are at the Rally, rigs packed in like sardines, and not only is your rig toasted by the fire but the Million Dollar Prevost beside you?

Go ahead, Drive with propane fridge on,, Much less exposure for your insurance company.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I've done it both ways... I used to get it cold with all the food and stuff in there, shut it off, and drive to destination, then turn it back on. However, there's not any less risk to doing that as there is to leaving it on during travel, if you think about it. While traveling, a gas line or component could be damaged just as easily, whether the gas is on or not. When you turn it on, you're generally not going to know about the problem immediately...

Go have fun...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I took the AEON insurance RV safety course they told us to turn off Propane at the tank.. Now they make a good argument but overlooks some safety devices built into the tank (Like the excess flow valve).

My position is as follows: One fairly common cause of fires in RV's is the fridge, Multiple reasons for this, but I will add it is not the MOST common, But you can put an automatic device in there to reduce damage (Contact Mac the Fire Guy).

Imagine you are going to an FMCA rally.. When you get there you are going to be sandwiched in between other RV's like sardines in a can.

You pull in, Since it's boondocking camping, you fire up the fridge on Propane.. you go to the opening cermonies.. While there you herar sirens,, Get home to your RV, or rather what's left of it, and not only is your RV history, but there is serious damage to the million dollar Prevost next to you and the 500 thou Alpha on the other side.

Option 2: You run with the propane on.. The guy in the million dollar rig passes you and honks his air horn, His wife is holding a sign YOU ARE ON FIRE,, you pull over and bail out. .Your rig is still toast.. But his,, undamaged and your insurance does not have to pay for it.

I run with mine on.. If it's going to burn, I'd rather it not burn any rig but my own.

I also do regular maintenance and inspection to reduce the odds of a burn.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #7

I start my frig. on propane about a day before we leave on a trip and leave it on untill we get to or site with AC hookup, then over to AC. No problems !!!!

Jim
Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #8

We start our fridge three days before on electricity then when we leave we turn on propane. Do this because living in Texas in hot summers if delayed on highways everything will stay cold.
We make sure that the propane tank used is the last one used from previous outing because we can not fill a half a tank, has to be empty to refill.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
I start my frig. on propane about a day before we leave on a trip and leave it on untill we get to or site with AC hookup, then over to AC. No problems !!!!

Jim

Yea, I do the same thing. No problems to date.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #10

It is probably more of an insurance issue if (God forbid) something happens. We travel with propane off, fridge is 120V and runs off inverter.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Turn it off, turn it off, turn it off. No reason to have it on.

I start my fridge a couple days before I go. Once it gets cold DW puts in all of the stuff she want to take along. We generally have a day for the fridge to get everything down to temperature.

Ready to travel I turn it off. Leave the door closed except to take stuff out for lunch and maybe a snack. Don't stand with the door open longingly looking at that beer! If you want one take it and close the door!

Once we get to our destination for the night I turn the propane on and the fridge starts right up. Ice cubes have not melted, frozen stuff is still frozen and the beer is still cold.

Can not see any valid practical reasons to leave propane on during travel. Chances of leaks are small but they are still there. Have been past several burned trailers sitting by the side of the road. Nothing to say it was propane but why take the chance?

I know there are lots of anecdotal information that support traveling with open propane tanks but there is little reason that I can see to do that! We have been travelling back and forth to Yuma each year (1800 mi one way) and always fill the freezer with beef to take down and pork to bring back. Never had any issues.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #12
Commercial Member

You do know that most all refrigerator fires are caused by 110volt issue, according to norcold. It is extremely rare for lp to cause a fire at a refrigerator. All the recalls that have been issued are due to 110volt issues. At one point in Rv history, up to mid 70's, most Rv refrigerators were lp only. Still do what you feel is good.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #13

I guess it depends on the length of your drive. B/C of kids, etc we stick to 8-10 hours or less. The fridge is filled and run off shore power the day before we leave so everything is cold in the fridge. Plug the plug and head on out! As long as the fridge is closed we have yet to have a real problem with anything getting too warm in a short amount of time.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Final word is YES!!!!!!! Most everybody does it and have for years. Most don't even shut it off while filling with fuel. As a kid when we had the car filled at the Service Station most all the station attendants smoked while filling your tank. Never saw a single car explode.

TeJay
I didn't even know it had a on and off valve? LOL! I never turn ours off.

Tags
propane