RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2018, 11:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If you had bought the items at a store in SC would you have had to pay the sales tax? If so then being from out of state isn't an excuse not to pay it. States can and do require you to pay sales tax if you don't live in the state even if shipped to you.
There is a distinction here. "Personal property tax" is NOT "sales tax" and in SC is demanded yearly on anything they think they can identify. The owner of the RV park was being charged this same personal property tax on the truck he drove around, and it was something ridiculous like $2500 per year for at least the first 5 years of ownership if bought new! Why in thunderation would ANYONE choose to be a resident in those states with taxation like that?

In my case, I bought a computer. Not something registerable. They were trying to tax me based on their perceived contents of my RV. Taxes on registerable property (vehicles, houses, trailers, boats, etc) is understandable. Trying to levy personal property taxes against everything else down to the number of pairs of socks I may own... Is going a bit too far, don't you think? I don't think even California tries to pull that.

geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 04:31 AM   #16

If SC considers it a taxable asset then GA must relinquish their hold on it as personal property. It can only be one or the other.

Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickho View Post
If SC considers it a taxable asset then GA must relinquish their hold on it as personal property. It can only be one or the other.

Things are getting a bit muddled. The OP has his trailer in NC, not SC--that was brought up in an analogy by another poster.

From my understanding, which of course may be flawed, the OP lives in GA and GA registers and titles the trailer, but does not necessarily tax it as personal property (although it may if there are laws allowing.) The trailer has been parked in NC for nine months and, apparently, NC considers that as being "situated" within its jurisdiction. The laws of NC state that it may be taxed as personal tangible property and is doing so.

This has nothing to do with the laws of GA. As far as GA is concerned, the trailer is his personal property because it is titled and registered in the state. They collect the fees for that. If GA also has a personal property tax, they will assess that as well. GA doesn't care where he stores the trailer, only that he pay his GA fees. If the state in which the trailer is stored (situated) also taxes it, that is a problem for the owner, not GA. He can choose to change his title and registration to NC, but will now pay NC title/reg fees plus the property tax.

Bottom line, NC has every right to tax the trailer, according to its laws, and GA has every right to demand fees and taxes for a trailer titled and registered within its border.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #18

In most states you will be required to register and pay any required taxes if you are in that state for more than a specified number of days. The fact that the trailer is registered in Georgia is pretty much irrelevant because it is resident in North Carolina. Your argument is similar to the ones used by those who have Montana LLC's and ignore the resident laws of their own states. If it's located in North Carolina for extended periods of time then it will be subject to NC taxes just as if you lived there.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #19

Both are not entitled to tax the property. Time to find a different state to hang out in. Or as was mentioned earlier. Move it once a quarter so you donít over stay NC welcome.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #20

There are similuar posts regarding WY making seasonal workers pay for a temporary registration on their vehicles.

Also regarding sales tax, the US Supream Court just ruled in favor So Dakota charging sales tax on internet sales which will probably now be implemented in all states.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
There is a distinction here. "Personal property tax" is NOT "sales tax" and in SC is demanded yearly on anything they think they can identify. The owner of the RV park was being charged this same personal property tax on the truck he drove around, and it was something ridiculous like $2500 per year for at least the first 5 years of ownership if bought new! Why in thunderation would ANYONE choose to be a resident in those states with taxation like that?

In my case, I bought a computer. Not something registerable. They were trying to tax me based on their perceived contents of my RV. Taxes on registerable property (vehicles, houses, trailers, boats, etc) is understandable. Trying to levy personal property taxes against everything else down to the number of pairs of socks I may own... Is going a bit too far, don't you think? I don't think even California tries to pull that.
That is exactly why I stated SalesTax.
Sales tax is totally different than property tax. If you buy an item in a state that charges a sales tax then you owe the tax even if you're a resident of another state UNLESS the law allows non residents to present out of state drivers license to avoid paying the tax. Unfortunately WA allows OR "residents" to do that and we have a lot of people keeping their invalid OR drivers licenses.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Simply put double taxation is illegal.
/
It certainly is legal, and takes place all the time. Most people pay income tax to three different taxing entities, sales tax to several, and so on.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Both are not entitled to tax the property. Time to find a different state to hang out in. Or as was mentioned earlier. Move it once a quarter so you donít over stay NC welcome.
I'm not sure why this seems so difficult. You live in one state and you have property in another state. You pay taxes to both states. In the case of a vehicle, such as a travel trailer, you paid to register it in your home state. No problem there. That's perfectly normal. Now comes the kicker. You took that trailer into a state with a personal property tax and you LEFT it there for nine months. It, the travel trailer, is now a resident of North Carolina and will be taxed by NC as would any property that is resident in the state.

Your options are to either pay the tax or move the trailer to another state or back to your home state. Be careful because personal property taxes are a notorious catchall for taxing jurisdictions in the South. Move it into South Carolina and you'll be faced with the same problem. Many counties of Virginia will also levy a personal property tax. Basically you can run, but you can't hide.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #24

So letís say both states have personal property tax. Only one is entitled to collect. It cannot be in two places at once. Iím having difficulty understanding why both seem entitled to collect.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #25

Quote:
So letís say both states have personal property tax. Only one is entitled to collect. It cannot be in two places at once. Iím having difficulty understanding why both seem entitled to collect.
Rick, the difference is in the terminology. Georgia is the registration fee that we all pay to our respective states when we register a vehicle. The personal property tax is a separate tax levied by NC on personal property located within its boundaries.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #26

Got it. Iím just glad Iím in a state where thatís not an issue. The mere thought of personal property tax is insanity. Taxing a depreciating asset year over year just seems crazy. You tax my pay and you tax my purchases, then you want to tax me for owning it.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjw View Post
Has any body had this problem
My V lite trail trailer is register in GA but I kept it in a RV park in north NC for the past 9 months
I pay taxes on it in GA but received a notice from the County where the RV park is located in NC wanting me to pay property tax on it . When I contacted the county tax office they said basically they don't care what GA dose for taxes. Do I have to pay taxes on it in both states
Have you been living in NC for the 9 months, or just leaving the trailer parked there? I'm just curious if NC considers you a resident now.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Have you been living in NC for the 9 months, or just leaving the trailer parked there? I'm just curious if NC considers you a resident now.

Having property in another state does not create a residency issue generally. Physical presence is the big issue here. We had a residency audit on a client where NYS wanted to tax a Florida resident as a NY resident. They believed that he spent more than 183 days in NY. He did not, but it took over two years and a relatively large amount of professional fees to win the case.