Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Unread 07-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #1

Question Property tax

Has any body had this problem
My V lite trail trailer is register in GA but I kept it in a RV park in north NC for the past 9 months
I pay taxes on it in GA but received a notice from the County where the RV park is located in NC wanting me to pay property tax on it . When I contacted the county tax office they said basically they don't care what GA dose for taxes. Do I have to pay taxes on it in both states

Greenjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Unread 07-07-2018, 11:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjw View Post
Has any body had this problem
My V lite trail trailer is register in GA but I kept it in a RV park in north NC for the past 9 months
I pay taxes on it in GA but received a notice from the County where the RV park is located in NC wanting me to pay property tax on it . When I contacted the county tax office they said basically they don't care what GA dose for taxes. Do I have to pay taxes on it in both states

You shouldn't have to pay county taxes in NC if it isn't registered in NC. I'd tell them yea, I'll get right on that, lol.

Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #3

How does the county in NC even know that you are there or what kind of camper you have?
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #4

If there are mobile homes in the park, some jerk at the county doesn't know the difference between a camper and a permanent mobile home. Educate or ignore.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #5

Rv parks are required to turn in a list of all RV, 5 Wheels and Travel trailers in Haywood county NC to tax office
Greenjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2018, 10:21 PM   #6

Believe I would be pulling out of Haywood County. Move over to Swaim, they would probably be happy to have you. Seems like I have heard of situations like this in some RV resorts in other states. Generally the fix is to take your RV out of the park for one night every so often, crash in a Walmart or rest area, and then bring it back the following day.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #7

If it isn't registered in NC and you aren't living in it permanently... Then I think they are out of their heads and just hoping they can get people dumb enough to just pay on demand.

I would look up the law requirements for your state of residence and the associated laws around RVs and trailers in that county and the state of NC... And tell them to pound sand.

I received a demand letter from South Carolina for personal property taxes based on purchases from Amazon that I had shipped to me at an RV park. Ignored it. I'm not a resident of SC, so they can pound sand.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #8

It depends more on the local laws where your camper is parked, than your place of residency. If youíre camper is parked in one spot for 9 months, they may consider that a permanent fixture, not a mobile camper. There has been a little talk here about letting towns tax campers that are permanently parked at campgrounds for years as the same as mobile homes are in parks.
Ramtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #9

You also have to understand the local residency laws. The laws vary from place to place. In essence after something resides in a given place for so long the local government can declare they are a resident thus subject to taxation among other things. It sounds like your trailer has been declared a resident thus is taxable property just like a cabin in the woods. I have no idea how far they will go to push the issue but I would talk to an attorney or CPA that is local to your trailer and familiar with the issue. Maybe you can just move the trailer and maybe they will just take the money out of any bank account you have. Tax collectors have a lot of power so be careful.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #10
mre

What is the annual tax rate on a motorhome pin North Carolina?
Unread 07-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
I received a demand letter from South Carolina for personal property taxes based on purchases from Amazon that I had shipped to me at an RV park. Ignored it. I'm not a resident of SC, so they can pound sand.
If you had bought the items at a store in SC would you have had to pay the sales tax? If so then being from out of state isn't an excuse not to pay it. States can and do require you to pay sales tax if you don't live in the state even if shipped to you.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #12

Iím far from being a tax professional but it would seem to me that you would not be paying personal tax on the RV in SC and just pay for it in GA. Where the trailer is registered. . Seems you would just have to show SC the property tax bill from GA. As proof.
Simply put double taxation is illegal.

https://www.thelaw.com/threads/can-i...ehicles.45233/
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #13

Tell the state of Washington that..
Unread 07-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #14

Your trailer is considered to be Personal Tangible Property. According to the Machinery Act of NC Statue 105-304,

"(d) Property of Taxpayers With No Fixed Residence in This State. -
(1) Tangible personal property owned by an individual nonresident of this State is taxable at the place in this State at which the property is situated."

"Situated" is defined as, "Situated. - More or less permanently located."

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegisla...S_105-304.html

Looks like the nine month stay marked your trailer as situated.