Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't see the ad, so I can't comment on what you are seeing.

I bought my TPMS system from TST, a board sponsor.
TST TPMS Systems
I have a dual axle trailer. I bought the 510 NOT FLOW THROUGH set with an extra pair of sensors. It came with a longer range antenna that I have tucked under the passenger side sun visor. Since I started using the longer range antenna, I have not had a sensor drop off the monitor at all.

I would recommend you buy the kit that you think best fits your needs, and then buy the repeater later as you might not need it if you use a longer range antenna like is provided in the 510 kit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
www.rvtiresafety.com

tireman9 is the person I was talking about. He can sometimes seem coy, but we can try to coax more detail from him if we do it nicely.

Coy!

Never been accused of that before. Usually people think I can be too detailed. Wife says if you ask me what time it is I tell you how to build a watch.

Bottom line I would not spend more than $5 to keep tires up off direct contact with wet ground (piece of treated lumber is what I use) Just be sure you support the entire contact area as parking a tire on a single 2x4 can actually damage a tire.

Yes if parking for the winter inflate your tires to the tire sidewall max psi.

Whenever parking for shorter time be sure to check air occasionally to confirm you do not have small puncture or valve leak.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The best tire protector for the money and ease of use is 3M-303 Protectant.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

In general I prefer and use WHITE tire covers. My main concern is heat not UV.

RE various sprays. Never seen a tire company test any of various sprays in direct A-B controlled test. I do not like stuff that requires you to rub on the tire as that will remove the protectant chemicals we build in tires. Not saying 303 is no good, just that I have not seen sound data.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the great info Tireman9. If you start a thread about how to make a watch I'll read it.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #19

I always park my trailer on 2x12's, Make sure they are aired up, Apply a UV protectant and keep them covered. I don't know what else you could do to protect tires. I use my TPMS to check the pressures when It's stored.
stormrider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Tireman9

Sounds like you know a lot about tires, my question would be what is your opinion of during the hot summer months (rather than the hot winter months lol) lowering tire pressure a couple of PSIs? I understand some people do and claim that they have never had a blowout since doing it where as they would experience blowouts prior to the change.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
Tireman9

Sounds like you know a lot about tires, my question would be what is your opinion of during the hot summer months (rather than the hot winter months lol) lowering tire pressure a couple of PSIs? I understand some people do and claim that they have never had a blowout since doing it where as they would experience blowouts prior to the change.
Some people incorrectly believe that "blowouts" are the result of pressure increase when tire gets hot. The exact opposite is the truth. When a tire looses air (puncture or leaking valve) the sidewall flexes too much, overheats and the polyester body cord looses up to 100% of its strength. This results in the rubber having to hold the inflation pressure, which it cannot do for long. The tire sidewall then fails and "blows out" just a tire tube would if you tried to drive on a tube.

It is the inflation pressure that supports the load. If you let air out of a tire it can not support as much load so it flexes more. more flex = more sidewall heat.

The fact that the people have not had tire failure yet simply means they did not let out too much to result in an immediate failure but they did do damage that may result is a shorter tire life so months later when they do have a failure they do not connect the damage they did to the tire months earlier.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And ST type tires should always be run at the maximum sidewall pressure "cold".
Old 08-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
RE various sprays. Never seen a tire company test any of various sprays in direct A-B controlled test. I do not like stuff that requires you to rub on the tire as that will remove the protectant chemicals we build in tires. Not saying 303 is no good, just that I have not seen sound data.
That begs the question: will ordinary cleaning and scrubbing the tires with a scrub brush and detergent or other cleaners remove the built-in protectant chemicals? Curious minds want to know!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
And ST type tires should always be run at the maximum sidewall pressure "cold".
Based on the Finite Element Analysis computer simulations of tire structural stresses, multi axle trailers can reduce, but not eliminate the increase in Interply Shear experienced with their tires by increasing tire inflation which lowers the tire slip angle.

This leads to the suggestion that any type tire will see lower stresses with increased inflation in multi-axle trailer application.

So the conclusion ends up that setting the Cold Inflation Pressure to the tire sidewall max pressure is a strongly recommended policy.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob46 View Post
That begs the question: will ordinary cleaning and scrubbing the tires with a scrub brush and detergent or other cleaners remove the built-in protectant chemicals? Curious minds want to know!
If you inspect a tire that has not been cleaned for a while and scrape your fingernail across the surface you will discover the wax and oils that you pay for in your tires is on the tire surface.
Then "scrubbing the tires with a scrub brush and detergent or other cleaner" and letting the tire dry and again use your fingernail you will find no wax. So yes you have just removed the built in protectant chemicals.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Based on the Finite Element Analysis computer simulations of tire structural stresses, multi axle trailers can reduce, but not eliminate the increase in Interply Shear experienced with their tires by increasing tire inflation which lowers the tire slip angle.

This leads to the suggestion that any type tire will see lower stresses with increased inflation in multi-axle trailer application.

So the conclusion ends up that setting the Cold Inflation Pressure to the tire sidewall max pressure is a strongly recommended policy.

So only in your opinion then you might suggest setting tire pressures to the max. CIP or the coaches suggested CIP label in the coach?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So only in your opinion then you might suggest setting tire pressures to the max. CIP or the coaches suggested CIP label in the coach?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Note I said "multi axle trailers". My opinion is based on data, facts and 40 years of experience examining failed tires by the thousands.

Motorhomes and other motorized vehicles have different guidelines as their tire stress loading is different.

I have over 40 posts relating to inflation because people keep asking the same question over and over or do not think about the background I try and provide or want to argue about what the correct CIP should be.. You only may want to review the newest 3 or 4 and I think you will learn enough to know if you need to review them all.

Trailers are different than Motorhomes so note the different information
Old 08-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Yes if parking for the winter inflate your tires to the tire sidewall max psi.
Since tires for heavy duty rigs don't have a maximum pressure on the sidewall what pressure would you use?

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires