Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
Protecting Tires

Has any had any experience with a product called TrailerLegs? Would be interested in hearing any opinions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have never heard of them. It looks like a solution searching for a problem. Tires need to be properly inflated, even when the vehicle is in storage.

I'll PM a tire engineer and see if he wants to chime in with an opinion.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #3

Commercial Member

I have seen similar jacking stands on Semi-Trailers and large 5-th wheel RV trailers. Do not know about using them to lift trailer in the air.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:31 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just wonder if a trailer can get a relatively equal dollar benefit for the tires if they are jacked up of the ground when not needed? Seems to me if the tire pressure is maintained these would be unnecessary.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I have never heard of them. It looks like a solution searching for a problem. Tires need to be properly inflated, even when the vehicle is in storage.

I'll PM a tire engineer and see if he wants to chime in with an opinion.
I'd love to hear what a tire engineer says; thanks for pursuing that; these things aren't cheap.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The best tire protector for the money and ease of use is 3M-303 Protectant.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The best tire protector for the money and ease of use is 3M-303 Protectant.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Good stuff, but not 3M.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierrie View Post
I'd love to hear what a tire engineer says; thanks for pursuing that; these things aren't cheap.
www.rvtiresafety.com

tireman9 is the person I was talking about. He can sometimes seem coy, but we can try to coax more detail from him if we do it nicely. [emoji6]
Old 08-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post

Good stuff, but not 3M.

Yup, CRS!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
RV Tire Safety

tireman9 is the person I was talking about. He can sometimes seem coy, but we can try to coax more detail from him if we do it nicely. [emoji6]
Great link, one I will continue to explore at length. As you mentioned earlier, sounds as if tire pressure is key; making me think the money would be better put toward a pressure monitoring system (versus this tool).

I am fairly new to this site and have learned many things that make RVing easier and more convenient, but the thought of a blow-out probably concerns me more than anything else. I use tire covers and am diligent about checking pressure every time I am filling up with gas; just looking for any reasonable practice to further reduce the chances of an incident.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Using a TPMS is one of the best methods to allow you to actively monitor your tires for proper inflation.

Using a TPMS will not prevent a blowout but most tire problems are caused from under-inflation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Using a TPMS is one of the best methods to allow you to actively monitor your tires for proper inflation.

Using a TPMS will not prevent a blowout but most tire problems are caused from under-inflation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I understand that there is no absolute prevention, but is it fair to say, by giving more real time information as to inflation status, a TPMS will, assuming the user responds to that information, improve the odds.

Just trying to improve the statistics
Old 08-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you don't have TPMS, my advice is to get that before anything else, as in now. White tire covers next to protect from the damage from UV light while parked. After those things, you can waste your money on all the gimmicks you like.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #14

Carolina Campers
I have the white tire covers; I am sold on the idea of the TPMS. One question as I look at the system that sponsors the link mentioned above; and that is with regard to the signal booster. My TT is 30 feet from tongue to rear bumper, pulling with a Ford F150. Is that something I should just go ahead and order? OK, I said only one question, but if I could indulge in a follow-up, if the recommendation is "yes" for the booster; are those a big deal to hook up?

Tags
tires