Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Battery and copper thievery is getting so bad. I often hear of copper thieves who take high tension power lines... LIVE high tension power lines... They do not often do it twice however, as they are put out of our misery the first time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Battery and copper thievery is getting so bad. I often hear of copper thieves who take high tension power lines... LIVE high tension power lines... They do not often do it twice however, as they are put out of our misery the first time.
You mean theivery.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #31

Dictionary says:Thievery - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Around here, we've had cases where the thieves climb telephone poles along the street and take down long lengths of large diameter telephone cables (maybe 100 pairs or more) feeding entire neighborhoods. It's insane what they'll go after. I don't know how they unload it though because the cops are all over the recycling places now.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #32

Whatever system you come up with to secure your batteries remember. Locks only keep the honest people honest. If someone REALLY wants those batteries no amount of licks or boxes will stop them. A simple light chain and padlock looped around the boxes will probably be all you need. Anything stronger and you will not only have new batteries to replace but damage to the RV to repair also!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To protect batteries.....

Attach a dog tie out leash to either the tong of the trailer or a tie out stake near the tong, Run the leash UNDER the trailer.. NOTE, no dog on the other end,, Just the leash.

Put two BIG, I mean five gallon size, dog dishes,, A bit of food (2 or 3 kibbles) in one and water in the other.

That's one BIG dog dish. Logically for one BIG dog.

After I left the Police dispatch center I told tow trucks where to go for a while.. Cleopatera was the name of the dog who ate out of those dishes.. She was a pussycat for me.. but .. Well.. She really liked folks who entered the lot at night.. She thought they were tasty.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Dictionary says:Thievery - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Around here, we've had cases where the thieves climb telephone poles along the street and take down long lengths of large diameter telephone cables (maybe 100 pairs or more) feeding entire neighborhoods. It's insane what they'll go after. I don't know how they unload it though because the cops are all over the recycling places now.
I'm curious , you said this was along a street. To me this means it was in a town or city. Why didn't they wake anybody up or attract any attention?
If it was out in the country then that's different.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #35

It's happened in semi-rural areas not to far from the rural area we're in (Langley) but even in urban areas. There was one close by and on a busier arterial road. Maybe in the dark in the middle of the night you wouldn't notice someone up a pole? I just can't picture how they would do it, but they do. It'd be pretty heavy to haul off too. It's pretty brazen. Being whacked out on drugs must help... They've even climbed microwave towers and risked life and limb. But it's not what it used to be like a year or two ago since they clamped down on the scrap dealers.

Some stories:

Thefts cost Telus millions a year Note the severed finger and electrocutions!

Telus and BC Hydro praise new metal theft law, but industry still critical

Stolen metal law comes into force in B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
I'm curious , you said this was along a street. To me this means it was in a town or city. Why didn't they wake anybody up or attract any attention?
If it was out in the country then that's different.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
It is a little hard to describe, but...

The cost of my welder and the supplies was $150.

The two vertical supports for the cross bar have threaded bolts at their lower ends that are welded to the upper flat sections. These bolts then pass through holes in the support frame for the battery. Suitable washers and nuts are then put on the bolts and adjusted to pull the cross bar down to put a slight pressure on the tops of the battery boxes.

Finally, to slow down a determined battery thief, another nut is welded onto the extreme lower end of each bolt.

Hope this helps! And now with my new Wind River, I have to do this all over again!

Bob
Thank you,
Old 01-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebaldeagle View Post
Whatever system you come up with to secure your batteries remember. Locks only keep the honest people honest. If someone REALLY wants those batteries no amount of licks or boxes will stop them. A simple light chain and padlock looped around the boxes will probably be all you need. Anything stronger and you will not only have new batteries to replace but damage to the RV to repair also!
Agree with you, just want to make it more trouble to remove them so they move on.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Just last night $6000 worth of batteries were stolen from a trucking firm in Phoenix. From the news pictures, the thieves un-bolted them instead of cutting the cables. Back in September, 34 batteries were stolen from school buses in Tempe, AZ.
Inside job? The trucking firm's mechanic did not want to repair/replace the cables? Not serious as I know nothing about it.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #39

Never thought about it being an inside job. Quite plausible.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries