Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #15

Two other options:

Install a "trailer tongue box". They come in different dimensions and are available in plastic, steel and aluminum. Some of the dimensions are set up to fit in the standard 55 degree angle of the tongue A-frame on a TT and will fit between the rails. The one in this link is one we bought. Got it for storing sewer fittings, chocks, etc. and moved the battery into the pass-through compartment (see below).

http://http://www.northerntool.com/s...2842_200592842

You can also use a square aluminum tool box from Lowes and mount it on top of the A-frame. Doesn't look right to me this way tho.

Second option is to move the battery inside. If you can find a place to mount it, it's not that difficult. If you want to use your standard lead acid battery, you can use a sealed battery box and vent it to the outside. ( Box and vent readily available.) That's what I did. Since we have a fiberglass cap, the nose of the TT has an unused void in the center of it. Tucked the vented box in there and doesn't take up any space. Also created extra storage space at the same time.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #16

If you have room on the front of the frame a small pickup tool box will sometimes fit up there. You know the type of tool box that goes into the bed of a pickup. It will hold the batteries along with some other things.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Battery theft deterent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
I have two six volt batteries on the trailer and I would like to know of any anti-theft setups being used out there.
Many, many years a go when I had a tent trailer, I bought a lockable hasp setup that secured the battery to the trailer frame. I have looked on line & at RV stores with no success does anyone know where they might be found?
Here is my solution on our prior trailer. Not sure about my photo uploading skills...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5550.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	52803  
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #18

Here is what I did on our Cougar. Nothing is theft proof, but this hopefully keeps the honest thief honest.

2004 Chevy Duramax/Allison - 2013 Keystone Cougar 21RBSWE
BassinDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinDmax View Post
Here is what I did on our Cougar. Nothing is theft proof, but this hopefully keeps the honest thief honest.

Nice job. An impressive solution!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I like the setup, that Idaho Bob has. I just happen to have a Pickup Truck Box That came off of my Old ford ranger. On the other hand anything you can do to deter theft is better than nothing. If a thief wants your batteries bad enough he will get them, but just a simple chain setup will keep most thieves from taking your batteries. I had a power cable stolen while in a RV park in Nampa Idaho. I was gone for an hour doing some shopping and had unloaded some stuff next to the trailer including a power cord extension. When I got back it was gone, The one hooked to the trailer was still there. Most thieves won't take something if they have to work to steal it. Lesson learned secure it no matter how you will probably be OK.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #21

It burns me up that people will steal anything now days... and I mean just about anything. They'd probably steal the rocks in my front yard if they could find a way to make money.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This question reminds me of a partner I used to have at work... He kept going out to his car in the AM and no battery.. They stole it overnight.

Finally he chain locked the hood... And a few days later he went out and not battery,,, also no car,, they pulled in with a tow truck in the middle of the night and took the whole thing. NOTE: We got it back (I mean he and I were State Police Dispatchers after all) but it was still funny.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Here is my solution on our prior trailer. Not sure about my photo uploading skills...
Picture came out great, can you give me more info on it, how you made it, cost and so on? I found a lockable set up for each battery box on line, a bit pricy but probably worth it. Your set up looks like it will work just as well.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Nice job. An impressive solution!
I will look into this, thanks for the pictures, I will check it out.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinDmax View Post

Meant my second post to Idahbob to answer your post, thanks for the pictures.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
It burns me up that people will steal anything now days... and I mean just about anything. They'd probably steal the rocks in my front yard if they could find a way to make money.
Here is a link to a article that I wrote back in July of 2011 about stolen power cords.

Copper Thieves and your RV
When I first picked up my Latest RV a Jayco Designer 5th wheel. I was told by the sales person who was doing the walk through with me, that I should find some way of securing the 50 amp power cord. I said well it has a screw on connection to the RV isn't that secure enough to keep it from coming unplugged? He said, that is not what I am talking about. I looked kind of puzzled and he continued to explain.
Click Here to read the rest
Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
Picture came out great, can you give me more info on it, how you made it, cost and so on? I found a lockable set up for each battery box on line, a bit pricy but probably worth it. Your set up looks like it will work just as well.
It is a little hard to describe, but...

The cost of my welder and the supplies was $150.

The two vertical supports for the cross bar have threaded bolts at their lower ends that are welded to the upper flat sections. These bolts then pass through holes in the support frame for the battery. Suitable washers and nuts are then put on the bolts and adjusted to pull the cross bar down to put a slight pressure on the tops of the battery boxes.

Finally, to slow down a determined battery thief, another nut is welded onto the extreme lower end of each bolt.

Hope this helps! And now with my new Wind River, I have to do this all over again!

Bob
Old 12-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #28

Just last night $6000 worth of batteries were stolen from a trucking firm in Phoenix. From the news pictures, the thieves un-bolted them instead of cutting the cables. Back in September, 34 batteries were stolen from school buses in Tempe, AZ.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries