It is not too bad to crank it by hand. Been there for almost one year when my electric motor plastic gear stripped. Finally, after my dear wife motivated me, this is what I did:
- went under trailer and found model number of the motor. It was sprayed over with some kind of black stuff, so it took me a while to identify it. Used paint thinner to clean the black stuff. There was lots of room to work under the trailer, even for my 6'4" body.
- disconnected gear box, leaving motor in place. There was no need to disconnect electricals. I was lucky that two index pins were still in their holes, kept there by lubricant. Otherwise, I'd never find them in the gravel underneath trailer.
- confirmed that the gear was stripped.
- contacted company handling retail sales of that particular unit. Found them on internet. When contacted, they knew exactly what I was talking about. They had replacement kit for the occasion, not the whole motor and all, which means that that part has been failing frequently. The gear kit cost me about $40, shipped to Canada. Cheap.
- reinstalled it, making sure that those two index pins were back in place. Sorry, but do not remember what happened with the gasket. Most likely I made a new one from a gasket paper, or used liquid gasket.
I did not try to get estimate for the repairs through the dealer, having assumed that it would be astronomical. The whole project was rather easy, the most difficult part being the motivation.
Hope it helps.
Greg, Shirley, Misha (the dog)
2006 1 ton Dodge CTD, SRW, ext. cab, 4x2, short box,
2004 Citation Supreme 26RKS