Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It seems to me that there are two most important things when it comes to the proper care and feeding of ST tires.

- Not overloading the tires (you cannot really know if you have this problem without reading the sidewall to know the maximum loading and also taking the vehicle to a scale)
- Not allow the tires to flex more than they can take and/or become overheated. A good TPMS system can tell you the tire pressure and temperature. A TPMS system is worth it's weight in gold for the confidence I have from it working.

Will doing the above remove all risk of a blowout? Nope. Some tires are just crap from the day the rubber was melted to make them. But those things I mentioned seem to me to be the two Really Big Deals when it comes to trailer tire safety and longevity.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yep, What he said ^^^.
I fill my Goodyear Marathon load D tires to 65 COLD. I do not adjust them down for the PSI when hot. The tires are built to take the added PSI for the heat. With my TPMS I have seen tire PSI at 75 and 105 deg +. I'll know if one blows,,LOL.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #17

Proper tire pressure.......

Weigh trailer and then air up tires based on weight ---------use tire mfg. load charts

OR

Air up to MAX LOAD/MAX PSI Rating on sidewall of tire

Weighing gives you specific information
MAX LOAD/MAX PSI gives you full capacity

Simple choice------weigh or MAX PSI
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #18

Commercial Member

In this "Trailer" thread the suggestion to run tire sidewall max is basically correct unless you have change tire size, type or Load Range.
There is some confusion in that some people read a "Motorhome" i.e. motorized vehicle thread where the general suggestion is to set the inflation relative to measured tire loading.

The technical reason for running tire sidewall Max on trailers can be found with a simple Google of "Interply Shear RV tire" and a quick review of a couple of the links found there.

To be clear the MAX inflation I am talking about is found in the statement that reads something like "Max Load xxKg (yyLbs) at zzz Kpa (qq psi)

You can check my blog for more info.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #19

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says vehicle manufacturers are solely responsible for setting original equipment recommended cold tire inflation pressures (see 571.120). Tire industry standards say that replacement tires must have the same or greater load capacity as the OE tires.

ALL RV trailers, motor homes, cars, light trucks, and multi passenger vehicles are fitted with tires that meet the safety standards in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards ( FMVSS).

Tire manufacturers do not set vehicle inflation pressures unless one of their retailers is installing plus sized tires in place of OE tires. Then they are just setting a cold inflation pressure to meet the load capacity of the OE tires depicted on the vehicle’s certification label.

NHTSA, via SAFECAR publishes all sorts of information about tire inflation pressures. It’s mandated to be in your vehicle owner’s manual.

Because medium to heavy duty truck tires are often used on motor homes and large fifth wheel trailers does not change the fact that motor homes and RV trailers were initially fitted with OE tires under the guidance of FMVSS regulations. FMCSS regulations do not apply to motor home of RV trailer axles.

It’s an owner’s responsibility to insure safe operation of their vehicles. Inflating RV trailer tires and motor home tires to the load being carried is an unsafe act. There is zero wiggle room with the inflation pressure and zero load capacity reserves. It may be good for the truckers strewing rubber all over our highways but it’s not good for the private citizen.

Most of the large tire manufacturers provide tire information on the WWW. Usually in PDF format. Those PDFs provide the best insight into tire industry standards. The reference attached below is an easy read with current, up-to-date information from a respected tire manufacturer.

https://toyotires2-1524598101.netdna-ssl.com/assets/lib:toyo%20content/RV_tire_safety.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Because medium to heavy duty truck tires are often used on motor homes and large fifth wheel trailers ...
And this is where the discussion of a thing gets muddy. The post you replied to is in the Travel Trailer Discussion section of the IRV2 forum.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
And this is where the discussion of a thing gets muddy. The post you replied to is in the Travel Trailer Discussion section of the IRV2 forum.
My second paragraph leads off "All RV trailers".

FMVSS 571.110 is just like 571.120 except it's for lighter trailers.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you for expanding on the regulations for lighter trailers.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #23

Again...

I will NEVER MAX inflate a ST tire. Max inflation will cause more chances of tire failure. The tire is too rigid and hitting pot holes will add in the possibly of damaging the steel belts. Also over-inflation creates more heat in the tire because so little is in contact with the road so the center thin line get hot and fails. I do a math formula that has work for years now and never had a issue. No I don't have any fancy TPMS. Just a standard tire pressure gauge. The only thing I do is scale the truck and trailer and calculate out my pressures.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2cqfx9w.jpg

I've never experienced a violent blow on my vehicles or my trailers EVER! The spare tire on the RV has never been on the ground once yet. It most likely rot hanging on the rear bumper.

My ST tires are rated for 2,980 pound there is 2 axles. At 80 PSI it would carry 11,920 pounds and the RV scaled at what above in my picture? WAY TO MUCH PRESSURE. So As you can see my math puts me right about the correct pressures for the weight.

Again... I've never had a violent blowout EVER...
Old 02-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #24

Over my 45 years towing trailers for fun and profit, I always aired my trailer tires to carry their maximum capacity.

In all those years I never changed a trailer tire. Just lucky?
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote