Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Pumping water from external source!

I’m new here but have been RVing off & on for years. We recently bought a “new to us” 2005 Holiday Rambler Presidential TT 34 foot. We were at a location for several days with no direct hookup and ran out of water. This unit does not have the large fill cap but only a female garden hose connection “Bucket fill” the same as the fresh water fill connector. No easy way to get water into the tank so I set out to find a better way. The manual really doesn't show a plumbing diagram and the factory had only a generic one which was little help. An extensive on-line search was also of little help so here’s what I did.This trailer is sealed underneath so I can’t tell anything about where the water lines go so I took pictures of the inside area of the connection door on the outside of the camper and also several of the inside under the sink where the pump and the back side of the connections live. I then started drawing out a diagram of the system as I could see it. I discovered the bucket fill connection can be used to pump water from an external source. I verified that by setting a water jug next to the inlet connection and hooking up a short hose from the “Bucket fill” connection and dropping the other end into the jug. I opened the “Bucket fill” and “Water tank fill valve” and closed the “Pump from fresh tank valve”. This allows the on-board pump to pull water from the jug through the “Bucket fill” connection and send it through the “Water tank fill valve” into the internal tank. This assumes there is a working check valve at the “City & Fresh fill” connection. The pump in this camper can run dry without damage and is self-priming. It’s slow going with the jug on the ground but when I set the jug on a concrete block it moves water much faster. If you are filling from an elevated container such as a water bladder in the back of the truck then it should go much faster because the water tank in the RV is lower than the truck bed, at least in my case. Sorry for the long post but this info and the attached PDF drawing may be of use to someone else as I can’t be the only one to have run into this problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf outside view-normal.pdf (414.2 KB, 61 views)

GLS48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did something different. I have an auxiliary 12v water pump and fixed it so it will draw water from a 5 gallon bucket by U shape pvc piping and via water hose, pump the water thru a filter and into the RV fill spout.
This allows me to use collected rain water or water hauled in from a source too far for a hose.
I came up with this design and built it after toting and lifting 5 gal jugs up to the side of a friends RV who ran out of water. It sits in my storage cabinet for friends who need help and if I should ever need it.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote