Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

Quality built and light weight- SUV towable

I was reading through one of the other threads talking about quality built lightweight TTs. THere were about 20 different brands mentioned, many two or three times, but no mention of the Evergreen trailers. My neighbor asked about buying my 5th wheel and I told him about how poorly it is made and how the POS roof caused the whole front to be ruined.

I came across the evergreen line and, while they aren't "deluxe", I love how they say they are built. Alum frame instead of wood, one piece roofs, compost panels that they claim are 4X stronger then ply and much lighter. They also offer a clod weather package which I think he will want.

Because they were not not really mentioned in the other thread, before I suggest he look at them, can I get some opions from you guys- the people that really know?

Thanks<

Walt
cgswss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #2

They look like a nice unit.

The traliers built by holiday rambler are built the same way. You may want to check them out also.

Sorry to hear you current tralier is giving you lots of issues.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgswss View Post
I was reading through one of the other threads talking about quality built lightweight TTs. THere were about 20 different brands mentioned, many two or three times, but no mention of the Evergreen trailers. My neighbor asked about buying my 5th wheel and I told him about how poorly it is made and how the POS roof caused the whole front to be ruined.

I came across the evergreen line and, while they aren't "deluxe", I love how they say they are built. Alum frame instead of wood, one piece roofs, compost panels that they claim are 4X stronger then ply and much lighter. They also offer a clod weather package which I think he will want.

Because they were not not really mentioned in the other thread, before I suggest he look at them, can I get some opions from you guys- the people that really know?

Thanks<

Walt
I doubt the roof ruined the whole front end.

Even though they are "aluminum framed" that doesn't mean they don't have wood materials in them. The fact that ALL the framing is alum is a plus though.
Also, ALL RV roofs are one piece roofs. They just use "vinyl" TPO roofing. It can still bubble and all that other stuff they mention if it's not installed right. I can do a rubber roof that won't bubble, so that isn't a selling point to me. They can tear, or sealant can tear, and then be a "POS" like your last roof.

I'd like to know what their cold weather package includes, but hopefully enclosed/heated/and insulated underbelly mainly.

What I'm getting at is, they are giving you a sales pitch, like all trailer mfgs do. But IMO, they have more pluses to them then others. I just wonder what the craftsmanship is.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

"They" haven't given me a sales pitch- I haven't talked to anyone. When I did the camper show a few days ago, I was only interested in what we will be buying and not TTs I just found them on the web and liked what I read (I know nothing about TTs)

The Issue on the 5th wheel is that they wrap alum around the front and up to the top, then they join the alum and ply/membrane on a 1X2 piece of wood. The roof is supported with 2X2s and the roof is made of very thin (about 3/16) cheap plywood. looks like the "luan" we use as floor underlayment

Anyway, rain got in and soaked the thin layer of fiberglas insulation. This caused to the 1X2 and 2X2 wood in the roof and wall to rot. I removed all the inside paneling then replace the structure one piece at a time with 2X4 and 3/4 ply to keep the walls and roof from caving in. Removing the old wood was easy- didn't even need to use a saw as it could pull the joins loose by hand (its joined by staples with no gussets)

I patched the joint with everbond tape and a few cracks in the membrane with everbond was well. Inside, I supported the thin ply with 3/4 ply and 2X6s cut with an outside curve (2" thick at the wall and 6" thick at the high point in the center.

We bought this used and it was obvious that the PO had problems with that joint because there was about 10 tubes of caulk and sealer up there. Bottom line is I refused to sell it to our neighbor as he wants to use it to camp in. When the snow goes away and it dries up enough to get the think out of the Arena, we'll sell it was scrap on CL to get rid of it. (should be of some value to someone- all the stuff works and they could throw away the shell and make a trailer out of it.

Walt
Old 02-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

We looked at a couple of Evergreen trailers in our search last summer and one of the Evergreen models is very similiar to the Winnebago 2201DS that we purchased. From what I saw, the Winnebago trailers had a little better fit and finish, but if I had saw an Evrergreen with the same storage and features as our Winnebago, i would have given it serious consideration. We're a fan of the outdoor kitchens that are available in both product lines.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #6

Search is over!

Took my neighbor on a quest today. We looked at a lot of different trailers. The early leader was Outback Terrain. The last place we looked had a number of the other trailers we had looked at. and the salesperson suggested...
the Tracer Executive. He liked a lot of things on this trailer. It had a much bigger shower then the Outback. Had better then average construction with alum. sub frame and laminated alum walls and floor (R14), enclosed and heated under belly, 48 gal fresh water,and outside kitchen Among other things.

So a week form Wednesday he will pick it up (the 230 FBS floor plan) Its costing him a little over 20k (out the door). THey say he can pick it up and leave for Daytona right from the dealership! It does NOT include a gen. so he has to decide which one he will get. My guess is he will get a Honda.

Thanks everyone!

Walt
Old 02-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

You never said what SUV he was using.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
At the RV show last month, kind of liked the 25' Winnebago 2351DKS in the (Minnie) line, and the 30' 27RBDS in the Ultralite line. Good construction and solid.

My Aerolite is only two years old, so I'll be keeping it for a while.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
You never said what SUV he was using.
He has a Grand Cherokee, Sorry I don't know the year or engine package. It is a V6 4WD. He was told that it is rated at 6200 but the guys at the dealership told him he should really figure 6000. I suggested that if it were 6000 then he would want to use 5000 as his max so he could put his cloths and stuff in the trailer. I wish I could give you info, but I think we build in enough safety margin. He has a boat that he says is "a little over" 5000 and he dosen't have any problems and I know if the boat is 5000, when he pulls it out of the water with all the junk in it it MUST be over 6000.

OH, the Tracer is listed at 4920 dry plus 2677 "carry capacity" I told him he should not even try to use half that "carry capacity". Of course he has been hauling the boat around for 3 years, pulling it all over the state. He has gone thru 2 ring and pinions, but that is because he backs it in hot and goes way too deep (so the whole pig is under water)

walt
Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
I hope he isn't too disappointed with his towing performance. Pulling a travel trailer is much different than pulling a boat of the same weight. He'll be pushing a lot more air.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #11

I would be concerned about the payload capacity on the GC. A 6000lb TT will have a tongue weight rating around 750-800lbs. Add whoever else in the GC and he could be pushing both the CCC and the receivers rating. A boat typically has a 10% tongue weight, while TT's run 10-15% and usually on the higher end. Plus factor in the wind drag from pulling a barn door 6000lb barn door around and don't think he's going to enjoy that V6 very much.
I think he's getting in over his head on this one. The trailer looks nice though.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #12

trailer claims 635lbs tongue weight the GC shows 720 max. Good point about the barn door effect. I would be worried for him except he is going to buy a new TV in the summer. This may make him go to a 2500. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
For a V-6 any RV tt over 5000lbs is questionable. I have had two tt's (3900 dry and 4300 dry and pulled both with a V-8 4Runner SUV (which is about the same size as the Jeep SUV)The 4Runner was rated at 7200 towing max. My current 4300 dry 5100 wet tt I wouldn't want to tow very much more than I was with the 4Runner. I did just purchase a new Tundra...so now I'm set to tow 10k.

On my 4Runner it said 750 tongue weight max without a weight distribution hitch and 1100 lbs with a WD hitch.

He might want to wait till he buys a new vehicle, this way it will open up his choices of RV.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, weight