Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Question Quality Bunkhouse TT under 35ft - exists?

I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist.

We're expecting our 4th child any day now (we'll have 4 under age 5 when the moment arrives). This puts us beyond our current rigs limits in sleeping space, size, etc. We love to camp, especially out west in the Mountains. We've taken our 3 cherubs to Rocky Mnt Nat'l Park, Yellowstone, the Badlands and to various other spots around this great country. The trouble with National Parks is there are length limits to stay at many of their campgrounds. We're not the RV park types, we like boon-docking, but will take a hook-up when it's reasonable in a beautiful area/park.

With all that in mind, we've put together a list of things for our perfect trailer:
  • Bunkhouse layout with at least 2 dedicated bunks and a very simple flip and fold bed for our 4 kids / enclosed master bed / quad bunk would be awesome
    Under 30 ft (push to 35 ft if we have to)
    Well-insulated for frigid mountain nights / burning hot days (walls r7+, r11++)
    Decent size tanks (40+ fresh/gray)
    Big fridge (8 cf+)
    Durable frame/chassis
    Under 7,500 lbs preferred with a gross weight sub 10K lbs (current TV is Ford Expedition EL, thinking that we'd move up to a used E350 or Express 3500 - it's got to fit 4 car seats and tow!!!)

The trailer that nearly does the job is the new Arctic Fox 31D, but it's just over 35ft and is 8400 lbs dry, so it's out. Outdoors Timerberridge makes one, but it's a little heavy with little cargo room left. Most of the ultra-lites that I've seen stink from a quality standpoint.

Does this trailer exist or do I need to move to the Motorhome / 5th Wheel side of things? Do I need to find a way to build a third row in a pickup (costly, and makes a used motorhome look cheap)? Is there a custom builder that can get this right?

Suggestions anyone?
K_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

I remember traveling/camping as a kid under 10 in a suburban. No AC, no radio, with 5 brothers/sisters and mom and dad.
No car seats, no power windows.
Across the mojave desert.

We tent camped, and yes the drive was long but the destination was worth it.

Personally, in your predicament, i'd start omitting car seats and look into a crewcab. Mine seats 6. Then get a quad bunk. Thats what i have. I only have 2 daughters but with friends, the extra bunks get used.

I know, it isnt safe but honestly, isn't it your choice anyways?
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #3

We have a 271bhs Dutchmen which fits your request. We camp mainly in the west have been plenty warm. The kids love the bunks as well as. Do as we don't need to fold out beds every night.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Have you tried Jayco? They are very well built units.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #5

We recently purchased a Sabre Shillouette 310bhok made by Palomino and I love it. It's 8040dry, weighed at factory with all accessories included and 2- 30lb propane tanks empty. Hitch weight is 850, obviously that will go up when loaded. It's is built with an aluminum cage frame with foam insulation on all sides and roof, you can pound on the walls and it's solid. It holds heat very well and the A/C dosent come on much once it's cooled down. The underneath is covered and heated to keep pipes warm in cold weather. All cabinet doors are solid wood construction and cabinets are fit nicely, "no gimp" whatever that means. It was a bit pricey but well worth it, it is a really solid trailer, no crappy wood, all box aluminum frame, even in the front storage area. I did tow it with a 1/2 ton but I reccomended a 3/4 ton.
Shaggy368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #6

One of the Trailer Life issues a while back had a very complementary article on the new Winnebago One bunkhouse and it was around 30'. I bet there are more out there than you think. As others have mentioned, you most surely will have to upgrade your TV to pull what you want.

Most Northland products (AF, Nash, Snow River) tend to be heavier, but they do hold up forever.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #7

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the Sabre referenced is a fifth wheeler. I like the Winnebago One, but it's very long in the quad bunk config. I see some floor plans that work with a variety of manufacturers that are rear living arrangements where I might be able to custom build some wall drop bunks, but usually there is a window in the way. I wonder If I can custom order a trailer without one window cut out. My time in Yellowstone keeps me focused on finding a sub 35 ft trailer so that we can continue to camp in some gorgeous places in e National Parks. After all, this is where we sleep, store, bathe and eat for 10 hrs/day - the rest of time is our destination, right?
K_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

We just bought an Apex 268BHS and are impressed with it. Admittedly it is our first camper, but it has plenty of room. Living area is 26 feet, 30 feet total, and weighs in under 5000lbs. Two bunks, the table makes into a twin, and the couch folds down. Master bedroom has a camper queen. I'm not sure how cold some of your camping will be but you could check with a dealer about what it can handle.
Captain Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #9

35 feet total, or 35 foot box? Here's a pretty nice layout with four bunks and a bedroom for mom and dad:

Heartland Model: Prowler 32P FQB

And this one with three bunks and a dinette that converts to a bunk:

Heartland Model: Prowler 33P BHS

Both are 35-36 feet in total length.

These are metal sided with wooden frames. Both Evergreen and Crossroads have composite and aluminum framed units similar to the latter at roughly the same length and weight.

~Chris
cowens67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Flagstaff/Rockwood had a floor plan that had four bunks in the back with a bicycle door from the outside. It was pretty neat. It had a queen bedroom up front.

We bought (and are now selling) a similar floor plan that had a double with a flip-down single above back there -only two kids.

The floor plan was a 31 model number. The trailer measured just under 35 feet.

They now offer this floor plan that looks interesting:

Flagstaff Classic Super Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River

Overall, not a bad three-season trailer with the heated tanks and enclosed underbelly. We were able to take it to the beach in 90+ weather and camped in furnace weather too.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #11

We have a Coachmen Freedom Express 292bhds that we love, has every feature I could ever want and fits everyone...
Freedom Express - Coachmen RV
292BHDS

Hitch Weight 740 lbs. (336 kg)
Base Weight 5,492 lbs. (2,491 kg)
GVWR TBA (TBA)
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1,306 lbs. (592 kg)
Exterior Length 33' 5" (10.2 m)
Exterior Height 10' 7" (3.2 m)
Exterior Width 96" (2.4 m)
Fresh Water Capacity 49 gal. (185 L)
Gray Water Capacity 33 gal. (125 L)
Black Water Capacity 33 gal. (125 L)
Awning Size 18 ft.
jg210302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #12

A good quality TT will be a little heavy.
We love our 31' Keystone Outback !!!
Camper Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #13

Keystone has nice bunkhouse trailers, we currently have the 11 keystone outback 312bh it is set for cold weather camping, measures 35.5 for the trailer itself, 38' hitch to bumper. Weighs 7200 empty, has three dump tanks plus water storage. Kids room in back has overhead bunk, fold down bunk and a air mattress that pulls out of the couch. That area would sleep 6 at the young age they are now or 4 when they get to be a teenager.
Love ours and hope it last us a long time. Lots of room with two slides. Hope this helps.
TTCamper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #14

I have a Palimino Puma 30DBSS that meets all those needs, has a quad bunkhouse in back and Master Queen in front.
neilr22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality