Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
The phrase (s), Ultra-Lite, Aluma-Lite, etc BEG for low quality. Anytime you are making something lighter so it can be pulled with a 1/2-Ton PU you have to cut somewhere and that somewhere is usually the frame. Thin frames will shake rattle and roll. On our last TT we would pull in to a CG, put the 4 electric equalizer jacks down, then put two scissor jacks under the center of the frame just ahead of the front axle, then I put two jacks under the slide. The TT still bounced like a trampoline. The TT was very nice inside and we had plenty of room for a 28' unit. The quality was good as well as the fit and finish ($32,000). But it was still a BIG mistake.

After 3-TT's we went back to a MH. There is no comparison. A MH is built on a truck frame, with good brakes, and shocks to provide a good ride.

If you use a dial caliper and measure the thickness of the frames under a unit that you like that will give you some idea of the potential soft floors. Compare the frame thickness from unit to unit. Nobody had done and reported on that aspect of TT's yet. That would be an interesting project.

I have also heard that Jayco is a decent quality TT. However (IMHO) unless you search long and hard the words Quality & TT don't belong in the same sentence.

TeJay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #16

What size truck will you be using? We loved our Coachmen Freedom Express 242rbs, and we could pull it with authority with our 1/2 ton truck. Very well built TT. No regrets buying it. We used it for 3 years and when we traded it, we got almost 4k more than we paid for it. Only reason we went to a Class A was because of travel comfort and we could finally afford one.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #17

Camplite trailers from LivinLite offer a totally different type of construction than most trailers. Some like the look while others do not. We love our 21BHS and it has been terrific.

Here is the LINK for the web site.
djsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
The phrase (s), Ultra-Lite, Aluma-Lite, etc BEG for low quality. Anytime you are making something lighter so it can be pulled with a 1/2-Ton PU you have to cut somewhere and that somewhere is usually the frame. Thin frames will shake rattle and roll. On our last TT we would pull in to a CG, put the 4 electric equalizer jacks down, then put two scissor jacks under the center of the frame just ahead of the front axle, then I put two jacks under the slide. The TT still bounced like a trampoline. The TT was very nice inside and we had plenty of room for a 28' unit. The quality was good as well as the fit and finish ($32,000). But it was still a BIG mistake.

After 3-TT's we went back to a MH. There is no comparison. A MH is built on a truck frame, with good brakes, and shocks to provide a good ride.

If you use a dial caliper and measure the thickness of the frames under a unit that you like that will give you some idea of the potential soft floors. Compare the frame thickness from unit to unit. Nobody had done and reported on that aspect of TT's yet. That would be an interesting project.

I have also heard that Jayco is a decent quality TT. However (IMHO) unless you search long and hard the words Quality & TT don't belong in the same sentence.

TeJay
While I would agree that there are more quality motorhomes than travel trailers, you have to keep in mind the huge price difference. And the fact that there is a need for lighter weight trailers that people can tow safely without the expense of larger trucks.

But for those that use a travel trailer for weekend camping and a few vacation trips a year, there are decent trailers on the market that will provide pretty good service if properly cared for and maintained. Unfortunately, consumer demand...for larger trailers at cheap prices created a marked flooded with "disposable" trailers that folks tend to keep for just a few years and trade in for a newer one. But, there are some better trailers out there that will hold up quite well over time and will last for many years if the owner is willing to maintain all exterior seams and joints.

From your description of the multiple jacks you used on your trailer, I suspect that too many jacks may have contributed to the problem. And, jacks under slides is generally not recommended by manufacturers. Most of us don't mind a certain amount of trailer motion, but again, the stability of a motorhome is much better.

For now, I'll keep my fingers crossed that my Winnebago unit will prove to have some degree of quality!! And, if it doesn't, I won't have any problem sharing my experiences here on the forum!!

Happy Trails!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsamuel View Post
Camplite trailers from LivinLite offer a totally different type of construction than most trailers. Some like the look while others do not. We love our 21BHS and it has been terrific.

Cool, another person from Clermont. We are originally from there. Miss the chain of lakes and the Tiki bar.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
scbwr,
First off the corner battery operated, "Equalizer" jack were a joke. I was familiar with hydraulic jacks on MH's but not the EJ's. In essence they did not and could not lift anything, and they are not intended to do so but I thought they were for support. After putting them done I had the DW walk/jump around so i could determine why the floor was still bouncing. Guess what???? The jacks on each corner were flexing. You could watch the arms coming down flex 1/4-1/2". Soooo I put two scissor jacks in front of the axles to support the center of the frame. That also isolated the frame from the leaf springs and kept the frame from compressing the springs. None of that help much. As far as the slide supports. Well they were screw type jacks that went under the support and runners of the slide. Our slide went out almost 40". Yea I know, no slide goes out that far. That's what I've been told but I measured it. Since it did extend that far I didn't think some support was out of the question. I had several individuals inform me that it was not a good idea to support the slide since the TT could move and damage something. Yea an elephant could also tip your trailer over. I don't take much stock in some of the nay-sayers out there and I do things with safety in mind.
We're happy since we got the WBGO and don't anticipate any frame bouncing as well. So far the unit is everything that we hoped it would be. It's 14 degrees out there today but we will be taking off for FL the end of next month.

TeJay
Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsamuel View Post

I'd like to look at a 28bhs, but no one around here (DFW Tx) has one. How long have these guys been building? Another question I have is that they are only 7' wide. Seems that might be a bit more cramped... Also, from what I could tell, they are a bit pricey. However, from what I saw, I can understand why... How about insulation, wall thickness, and underneath? Are they enclosed under?

Thanks for the link...
Old 01-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #22

Sturdy tt

Check out the Camplite series by LivinLite. They are fully aluminum...even the floor. No wood to rot. They are priced a bit higher but if you are looking for something to last and looking for something that can be pulled by SUVs check these out. Less pricey,than Camplite ,but seem to be well made...the R-pods and Ascends, they have fibreglass roofs. Like others have said,you get what you pay for. We are looking for something a little bigger than our 13ft and it's a toss up between those two,
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'd like to look at a 28bhs, but no one around here (DFW Tx) has one. How long have these guys been building? Another question I have is that they are only 7' wide. Seems that might be a bit more cramped... Also, from what I could tell, they are a bit pricey. However, from what I saw, I can understand why... How about insulation, wall thickness, and underneath? Are they enclosed under?

Thanks for the link...
LivinLite is I belive about 12 years old. They are now a division of Thor Industries. The 28BHS is a brand new model, so that is why it will be tough to find it. You're correct, they are about 7' wide. The slideout helps alot and my wife and I do not find the 21BHS cramped at all. It makes it really nice to tow, and I can easily see around the camper. Backing into a campsite is a breeze too.

Insulation in the walls and the roof is pretty good, no issues cooling or heating the camper, but of course I'm in Florida. The biggest issue in regards to insulation that I've read about is the floor. The aluminum floor can get cold if cold weather camping. They do have carpeting to lay down, although we don't use it. Some had laid down that interlocked rubber tile with good results. They are not enclosed underneath, but LivinLite does offer a spray on insulation.

Another plus (to me anyway) is the fact they have an aluminum roof instead of a rubber roof.

Ours did cost a bit more than other campers, but we were able to get a decent deal on ours. Littlecampers.com deals online with LivinLite and they have really good prices. I've heard from some who are very happy with the results of dealing with littlecampers.com.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Doug
djsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #24

Jayco Owners Club
I have contacted littlecampers.com. Looking at their website, it looks like these are a bit pricey with the base unit starting at $30K+... and adding the things I need are bringing me to well over $34K... supposedly discounted. I am not pleased with that price. I would be giving up a some room, and the tank capacities seem low, especially compared to what I have. They also look like they have 2 small LP bottles, with no cover. I didn't see anything that looks like a battery. The interiors are a little spartan, and giving up a foot in width doesn't make me smile, either. My first TT was small and cramped, and 7' wide. I am a little surprised that the 13.5 btu AC and floor insulation isn't standard at least in the south. I use my trailer with my 2 sons for fishing trips in the southern winters and with a couple of friends for model sailplane competitions all year.

On the plus side, I could probably keep my F-150 a lot longer pulling the reduced weight, and smaller frontal area. I have been considering going to a diesel F-250. Purchasing this trailer would be a less-expensive option. Another plus is that (without seeing one) the quality looks very good. The aluminum roof I like. The aluminum framing looks much better than anything else I've seen, and again the reduced weight... I just don't know how the DW would like this one. She likes what we have pretty well... especially since I changed out the plastic kitchen sink with one made of stainless steel.

However, I did want to say thanks for the links and information... but... It probably won't be happening anytime soon. However, I really hate to have something like this in my head... It looks like the way to go... Aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
schrederman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #25

We have a 1999 Ford F150 with 50,000 miles on it. What we need is a bunkhouse for the kids but something that won't be too much for that truck to pull.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #26

As was pointed out earlier - high end units may have more features and better materials but every RV should meet requiremenmts of the design. Build conformance should be a requirement no matter what the price of the unit. Had 4 new RVs and all had some issues, and it didn't seem to in direct relation to the cost of the rig. Unfortunateally the assembly of these rigs is not as controlled as the auto industry due to low production numbers and lack of automated assembly. Good Luck
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 AM   #27

Jayco Owners Club
JUPS... I really like the looks of these CampLites, though they are all too small for what I want except the 28bhs... As I said earlier, the build quality looks good and the weight would definitely be a plus with your F-150. However I really like what I have so it would be a stretch for me to buy anything different right now. You might want to look at the Surveyor line from Forest River. Mine has 2" thick walls and some other stuff I really like. There are many other brands... so do your homework, especially in how they're built.

Enjoy...
schrederman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #28

There are a lot of questions before we can offer some real guidance.
How many kids, ages, sex? Can you put two in bunks and two on the settees? Does somebody need privacy?

F150 is fine but is it a six or a V-8? Does it have a heavy duty suspension, a real tow package? Is it a real heavy duty welded on hitch receiver or a bolt on or worse yet just a ball on the rear bumper. Where are you going with this? The mountains?, flat lands? real far?

How much do you want to spend? Are you willing to buy something about five years old? Can you work on it some yourself?

All important questions if you want more than "I like the Jayco".

Bill