Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #1

Question: 23' vs 27' Trailer

As I mentioned in a previous post, we have narrowed our search down to just two (2) very similar manufactures with slightly different inside configurations. If we did not compromise on the few things we want, we'd find it in a 26' 10" trailer. If we did compromise on one of the items, then the second choice trailer is 23'. Will this 3" 10" difference make it more difficult to backup, to make corners, or something else that I may be missing.

Please know that I am grateful for your assistance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Traxless, my own weak experience is not much to go on, but here it is: The first trailer I ever towed was a 28 foot rental, that I pulled behind my 3/4 ton Chevy Van 5.7L. Took the family to the far part of the province (BC), and never had the slightest concern or difficulty. Fast forward a few years, and with ownership since 2006 of two 19 foot TT's. In thinking about this, I'd say the longer trailer was easier to manage, because you can see more of it at all times. Seems odd to say it, but that's my experience.....

Nick B

Old 11-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Having a shorter trailer may make it more difficult to back up as the trailer will be quicker because of the shorter wheelbase . . . but . . . . it will also be easier to back into tighter spaces because of the shorter wheelbase. A wash IMO.

Any trailer that is over 20 feet should not be difficult to back up.

How does the lenght of the trailer affect your overall lenght. While not an issue most of the time it may cause an issue with finding places to park (not very likely).
Old 11-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you're buying new and intending to use the TT regularly I'd hate to see you compromise over 4' in length. After a few miles of experience you will be hard pressed to tell the difference unless you plan to camp in very small areas. JMO and best of luck with your decision!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #5

My honest experience with shopping trailers for 8 months and having now owned this one for almost 2 years is this: we ended up with the smallest trailer we seriously looked at, and never looked back.
Being in a sub 25' trailer is a huge plus because it opens up a ton of camping spots you could not get into with a trailer 3' longer. We have never lacked storage or creature comforts. Ease of towing and lower weight are just gravy.

Look at your local campgrounds, state parks etc. and see if there are a lot of RV spots for "up-to" 25' or so. If there are, then the bigger trailer will keep you out of some premium spots!
Old 11-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #6

We just read all these wonderful comments which are just terrific. We are grateful for all of your assistance. Once we make a decision and purchase, I'll be back! And take care TT People.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:41 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
You won't notice a significant difference, get the unit you want.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #8

A wise older man told me once. The longer trailer has the same furniture with more empty space to enjoy. Just keep the unit loaded properly and there is no difference. One other did say that the longer the trailer the better the air keeps it strait. Side winds sure make a difference. But I usually have to slow down to save on fuel. Side wind will burn more gas then head wind. We usually never have any problem parking our 40 ft unit.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
When in such a small space to begin with, those extra few feet will make a huge difference... or should I say... Those extra few feet made a lot of difference to us. We went from an 19' trailer to a 29' trailer and I have had no problem with the extra length, and the extra room is so much nicer. It was a mistake on our part to compromise down to begin with and it was expensive.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #10

We had a 23' TT for 10 years in the late 80s early 90s and loved it except for the fact that there was no couch or reclining chairs so we had to sit at the dinette to watch TV when we were rained-in. We vowed that our next rv would have a couch and it did. I agree with the statements that a longer trailer is easier to back. I had many miles in reverse with the ol' TT, could whip it right in to any spot, then got a 16' boat on a trailer and had a heck of a time keeping the boat trailer on-track when backing up.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #11

Great advice with it's weight in gold! You have helped us decide that the longer trailer will be best for us. Thanks so much ... and I certainly appreciate the friendliness of this forum to discuss all matters and types of TTs. In a word ... refreshing.

Take care and hope to see you on the road.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #12

Congrats!
Now post some pictures!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Congrats!
Now post some pictures!
Yup - pictures please.