Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #1

I HAVE to get rid of the formaldihyde odor in our trailer. I've read the posts about using ammonia and I have a question? I've not used straight ammonia before and am wondering what type of container is best to put it in? My thought was to take a couple of the throw-away type plastic bowls (Gladware type), put these in a metal cake pan, and then fill the plastic bowls, using the cake pan as added "leak" security.

Does this sound ok, or will the ammonia, left in the plastic bowls for 2 days, "eat" thru the plastic????

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #2

I HAVE to get rid of the formaldihyde odor in our trailer. I've read the posts about using ammonia and I have a question? I've not used straight ammonia before and am wondering what type of container is best to put it in? My thought was to take a couple of the throw-away type plastic bowls (Gladware type), put these in a metal cake pan, and then fill the plastic bowls, using the cake pan as added "leak" security.

Does this sound ok, or will the ammonia, left in the plastic bowls for 2 days, "eat" thru the plastic????

2 Boys
Old 09-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Tiniree I think you would be better off using stainless or glass bowls. Place them in the sinks then add the ammonia. Personnally,as I wrote in another post, I would use a different cleaner such as Fabuloso or Pinesol. It will accomplish the same with out the strong odor of ammonia. Whichever method you use let us know the results. Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I'll side with Hover on that one.
I've had the overpowering smell of ammonia around me for 25 years here in the blueprint shop, and that is close to the last smell i'd voluntarily air out my living space with. Course the ammonia we use(d) was 4 times the strength of household ammonia.

... but whats that old trick of how to make your house smell incredibly enticing when showing it to prespective buyers??
I think something along the lines of warming up cloves in melted butter in a black frying pan, .... kinda gives the house a hint of that wonderful aroma of Thanksgiving day, .. or maybe that great Italian restaurant, ... and it covers up the smell of doghairs, kids socks, and the cigar that i smoked one time in the house.
Either that or the Pinesol.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #5

....you need to ventulate not cover up the formaldahyde-do th is by air changes and hope you don't have an allergy to it....geofkaye
Old 09-08-2005, 07:42 AM   #6

In the old days, when particle board was a new thing, (I used to work in a cabinet shop), we would tell people to put a bowl of amonia in the return air of thier ac. Amonia will absorb formaldihyde, BUT, amonia can be some dangerous and caustic stuff and in some cases, more dangerous than the formaldihyde. Mfg.s aren't using as much formaldihyde as they used to. I wouldn't advise anyone to set a bowl of formaldihyde out anywhere. If it's the new smell you don't like, you may have to get out of the rv business. Ours is 3 yrs old and still smell new which tells me the products used to build it are still gassing. Someone in another post said to fill up sinks with water, but I've never seen where water will absorb any gases, and what would make the gasses from your front bedroom want to fly towards the bathtub so it can be consumed by a tub of water. I have myself, in a car that a dog stunk up real bad, placed a bowl of vinegar, and it absorbed that smell overnight. You might try vinegar, but, there are alot of gasses bveing released and it's gonna take a whole lot of whaterver you try to absorb it all.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #7

Thanks Everyone! I spoke with K-Z yesterday and they also cautioned us against putting bowls of ammonia in a hot trailer. Especially since its still getting well over 100 deg here in AZ!

They suggested buying plain charcoal (no lighter fluid starter on it)and putting several bricks of it in bowls set around the trailer to help absorb the odor.

As to not liking the "new trailer smell", I love that smell. What I am dealing with here though is the toxic smell of the chemicals being released. Normally not a sensitive person, I can't be in the trailer more than 5-10 seconds without my eyes burning, tearing, and feeling like my lungs are on fire!

2 Boys
Old 09-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #8

I would think that you need to run all your exhaust fans and leave all the windows open at the same time.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #9

This is a post that brings back a funny in shopping a new unit a couple years back. I had been in amost every brand available in Houston/Conroe/Cleveland & Sealy Texas. Some had a formaldihyde hint - some so so. Most all cases the saleman acknowledged yes and that it was Formaldihyde in the adhesives used. At a Small Sales outlet out 59 north I looked at the Cedar Creek I intended to buy from the internet searches. Salesman opened the door the odor was extreemly strong. Wife made did not make the top step I entered with salesman. It burned the eyes. Salesman said he didn't notice a thing but yet his eyes watered as he was telling me of the Quality and walking to the door. On the outside he again stated the same and that he had been sick. I asked if he ever wondered why?. On the way to purchase I stoped once more to confirm I did not want the Cedar Creek - the new sales guy stated he had Quit.GO FIGURE - I have to this day never smelled one that bad.They do sell small charcoal rock bags that work great. Keep the dust on ya boot and pray for all that are and were in harms way.
pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:13 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
My last 2 5vers were new and I had no noticable odor at all and no one ever compalained. Matter of fact, the last one I picked up the day it arrived at the dealer from the factory, and no odor. Is it that some people are more sensitive to it, or different dealers do something to compensate for the odor or to eliminate it?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:00 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Air, Air and more Air that is the key. My last new tt had a real bad oder from all the glue. It took several weeks of open windows to make it so I could stay any length of time in it. I always leave a window open somewhere in the rig at all times. My latest rig sat on the lot for 9 mos so its new TT odor was gone. It was a nice change from the last one.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #12

Our new TT had a "new" smell, but nothing like you've described. It bothered me though, as I hate "new car" smell. I keep the roof vents open all the time, and in good weather, I'll crack the windows. I also sprayed inside with Febreeze. We've had it a year and the smell is there only slightly now. Good luck!

1999 Chevy Tahoe K1500 350 w/3:73 gear ratio
AnneW is offline   Reply With Quote