Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite
Couple of points.. from MY perspective. Cuz this has been hashed to death. It's 'funny' too.. when you go to Camping World.. what is the aisle with the most people.. the poop shoot aisle. Makes ya wonder... Why? Other than to buy a new fitting or hose once in awhile.

1. Don't leave the valves open at the campgrounds.. asking for trouble.
2. When you need to take a dump.. fill the bowl at least 1/3 full.. like at home, relieve yourself and flush.. Don't skimp on water here.
3. Forget the chemicals. Some just keep odor down ( shouldn't be in a well maintained tank). Others are, as mentioned, bacteria that will digest the cr@p in the tank. In general, this is a total waste of money.. why? Because it takes TIME for the bacteria to multiply enough to be effective.. by that time you are already ready to dump. This might work very well if you have the "cone of death" in your tank and you are going to leave the rig parked for a while.

4. This MIGHT be important.. don't know form personal experience. I just got my new to me MH. Instructions say not to use AMMONIA (can't remember if it also mentioned Clorox type products) in the poly as it will deteriorate it. Now that.. could be expensive. Water is the answer. I have chemicals coming out the wazooo. Anyone can HAVE them at no cost. I no longer use them. and have no problems.

I have to admit.. I don't USUALLY dump at the park I'm leaving unless I have a lot of waste in them. I like to drive down the highway for an hour or so.. or even to the next campground and dump there.. It gives the "rockin' n rollin' " a chance to really mix the junk up for better flush. Then I add fresh water for about 2 minutes.. assuming about 5+ gallons per min.. and some laundry powder. Haven't tried Pine-Sol type products yet.. as I feel they are unnecessary.
If those unused chemicals are Thetford Aqua-Chem and Thetford Gray tank control, I'm very interested in your free offer. Please PM me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #58

After dry camping this past weekend I learned a lot about water conservation and full tanks. Our black tank is only 14 gallons. We have a really small TT and filling it with 5 gallons of water to start is kinda silly. I did 2 and then about a gallon or so for each flush. Before we dumped we filled the tank and then I filled it with 3 gallons of water and a deodorizer packet for the drive home. I can't imagine having 50 gallons of backwater.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #59

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Really only need to cover the bottom of the black tank with water.. maybe 1" deep. enough to prevent evaporation and allow the natural enzymes/bacteria in the tank to work. And for traveling.. that's enough to slosh around to wash the walls and hopefully breakup anything remaining in the tank. That's what I do and then I dump at a local fuel station. Surprising what comes out.. even when you thought it was "clean"..
Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #60
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberCamper View Post
After dry camping this past weekend I learned a lot about water conservation and full tanks. Our black tank is only 14 gallons. We have a really small TT and filling it with 5 gallons of water to start is kinda silly. I did 2 and then about a gallon or so for each flush. Before we dumped we filled the tank and then I filled it with 3 gallons of water and a deodorizer packet for the drive home. I can't imagine having 50 gallons of backwater.
I agree with you with a small tank. I put only about 2 gal in our slidein which has 15gal. Our TT I use at least 5 gal but it is a 40 gal tank.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #61

If anyone claims to fill a 40 gallon black tank with black is... well, full of Black. I got tired of standing in grey because it was full from washing my hands and taking long, hot, showers. I plumbed my grey tank into my black with a spare pump and when it got close to full, I flipped a timed switch and pumped the grey into the black tank.

That was with my 5er and I incorporated it into my MH. If it wasn't for the color of the hoses, you would think it was stock. Can I get a patent on that?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Another vote for lots of water and most any regular toilet paper. Have never had an odor or build up problem.

The reason I say most any regular TP is that most will dissolve just as quick as the expensive RV only TP.

Read an article once that said to take two jars with lids, fill both approximately 3/4 full of water. place a square of the high dollar RV stuff in one and square of the regular in the other, put the lids on and shake 5 times. Watch for yourself to see the both breakdown equally. If they do, use the cheaper 2 ply nicer feeling stuff with out fear.

Agree that tank should be 2/3 full before dumping.

I also use the clear elbow to check conditions as I dump. I don't see any solids, seems to prove that water and selecting TP that passes the shake test works.

I have a Sani-Con installed in my black water tank. I like to connect a hose (not fresh water hose) to the sani-con to rinse the tank after dumping. No odors, no blockage and keeps my sensors working.

Think I will try the water softener, detergent trick to see how much cleaner tank gets.

As far as the gray tank goes, I like to wipes the dishes off in to the trash before washing. I never allow grease to enter the sink drain. I think if if you keep food stuff and grease out of the gray tank, that's sufficient to prevent odors.

Kinda reminds me of the post on leveling before or after putting the slides out.

You need to do what works for you. If it flows and doesn't stink, I'd say you system works.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #63

I never heard of the shake test, but I put a square of each in 2 cups and let them sit over night. By morning, with a stir of a spoon, they both broke up the same.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Forget where I read it. I was in a news letter from one of the clubs I belong to. If I find it I'll post it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #65

I don't need it, but others might become believers it they saw it in print.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I never heard of the shake test, but I put a square of each in 2 cups and let them sit over night. By morning, with a stir of a spoon, they both broke up the same.
The great toilet paper debate is solved! by a 9yr old as a science project for school. Now if you empty your black tank at 75 seconds you might have a TP breakdown problem though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #67

Read all the posts. Interesting. It wasn't easy, but you could tell there were still a few hold-outs.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #68

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
When we bought our first motorhome the salesman said ok to use Scott brand or Angel Soft TP instead of the pricey RV TP. He said to definitely stay away from using Charmin in the rv. I've only bought Angel Soft the last 7 years, have never had a problem.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #69

Do those of you who use the chemicals (Thetford Blue stuff) realize that this stuff is very bad for septic systems, and many (most) parks that have septic systems prohibit dumping if you use them?

Now obviously it's very hard to enforce, and if you lack respect for others, you can probably get by doing it. Our resort lot owners spend a lot of money every year on septic system maintenence, and anyone using these chemicals adds to our costs.

I don't understand why manufacture and sale of these poisons is not outlawed by the EPA.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
Do those of you who use the chemicals (Thetford Blue stuff) realize that this stuff is very bad for septic systems, and many (most) parks that have septic systems prohibit dumping if you use them?

Now obviously it's very hard to enforce, and if you lack respect for others, you can probably get by doing it. Our resort lot owners spend a lot of money every year on septic system maintenence, and anyone using these chemicals adds to our costs.

I don't understand why manufacture and sale of these poisons is not outlawed by the EPA.
I have never been to a campground that even mentioned chemicals let alone ban them.

Tags
tank