Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #1

Question about buying a "lightly used" camper

Hi all!

I'm hoping to (finally) be able to get a camper and start my adventure in the next few weeks.

I've been looking for something used for a while but have had a hard time finding one that a) is the right layout/size for us b) has been well maintained and c) isn't priced in the same ballpark as a new unit.

I think I have found one that looks almost perfect but I have one concern: It is a 2014 and the owner says it has only been used a few times.

Assuming everything checks out when I look at it tomorrow, I plan to change all of the tires to goodyears right away.

Beyond that, and the normal stuff you need to check on a used camper, is there anything else I should be looking for do to the lack of use?

I'm weary that the owner may not have found possible manufacturing issues or it may have problems from siting with such little use.

This will be our first camper so I may be overthinking things, any guidance would be appreciated.

Rob
robesox128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsox View Post
I think I have found one that looks almost perfect but I have one concern: It is a 2014 and the owner says it has only been used a few times.
This thing is so new I can't really help ......lol.

You might check the roof if it sits outside. If the only reason they are selling is because they don't use it then you might have found a really nice camper. If the owner is willing and seems interested in training you a little than you could record that for reference.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #3

I'm a firm believer that the first TT should be a used one ! This sounds good, our first was a piece of junk, the owner miss led us big time, but is was an older TT.
I'm very mechanical, and learned a lot from fixing it up.

That new of TT should be a lot better, just looks for leaks in the roof, black tank lines, and grey tank lines. Check the A/C, and the frig. works on ac and propane, the Fridge is the most expensive thing on your TT.

Good Luck Jim & Pat
Old 09-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

Make sure you see it hooked up and in operation, as stated previously. Fridge running, A/C cold, etc. Make sure the fridge and water heater are working on gas and electric if they are designed as such. I would have the wheel bearings and electric brakes serviced when you install the new tires (which is a great upgrade, we love our Goodyears). Check the roof close. It's normal for the Dicor sealer to crack overtime, so there will probably be some work to do up there. As long as there has been no leaks to this point, some fresh caulking should be all you need along with a good cleaning and UV protector. Best of luck, get out there and enjoy!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #5

A couple months ago we too bought one slightly used. A well looked after 2011. Couldn't be happier with it and would do it again. Didn't change the tires either and we're still here. Being so wary of owning a good 4 year old trailer you may be better off buying a new one every year or two. Just a thought.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #6

Some people store them inside when they are not using them. If you can find one of these, they are worth a few extra dollars. One that has not had pets in them are worth a bit more as far as smell goes. Shouldnt be much wrong with a unit that old. Make sure you get up on the roof and check for damage. You never know where someone has taken the unit. Check for flood damage marks in all the compartments. With all the flooding in the last few years, there are lots of flood damaged units out there.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #7

Thanks everybody for the responses, I supposed to look at it today but the weather is calling for rain here this afternoon so I may wait for nice weather so I can get a good look at the roof and exterior.

Rob
robesox128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Definitely wait. You want to be able to spend some time with it. Never rush looking or buying.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsox View Post
Thanks everybody for the responses, I supposed to look at it today but the weather is calling for rain here this afternoon so I may wait for nice weather so I can get a good look at the roof and exterior.

Rob
Might actually be a good idea to look at it in the rain. Leaks might show...
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #10

What are you looking for in terms of layout and budget?

Consider a Sunnybrook Harmony, (lighter weight) or an older Sunnybrook Titan/Mobile Scout. Big and heavy, but with good reason. Company was bought out by Winnebago to make the Minnie line of travel trailers.
https://vermont.craigslist.org/rvs/d...257639184.html

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Cro...30FK-111058147

Road trip, but a nice looking Harmony:
http://www.hufnagel-majors.com/rv/ha...+harmony+28bhs
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #11

Lightly used can be a bonus you get a lower price than a new unit and less wear and tear, as long as the price is right. I purchased my 2015 motorhome in 2016. The owner used it once and I got a great price. But I also did a complete pre buy inspection (took 4 hours) before I signed anything. Had a complete multipage list of things to check from the Newmar forum. Open every door, flipped every switch. Found one of the AC's was bad they replaced it. Once I was happy I started to negotiate a deal.

Good luck
Old 09-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #12

Might be nice to know what you are looking at. Tent trailer , Travel Trailer, 5th wheel, Truck camper.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light