Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #1

Question about campsite help

When I start to travel I will be by myself. I don't think that I will have much of a problem getting the TT into a campsite but when I go to leave and want to hook it up to my SUV are other people willing to help me getting the hitch in position?
kgarrett11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
As a general rule finding someone willing to help is easy to do, just ask.
BUT, keep in mind, it's not their stuff, so they may not be as careful as you think they should be. Ultimately it's up to YOU to make sure it goes right.
You might consider a backup camera on your truck so that you can see that hitch as you back up to it.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

As podivin said, back-up cameras are cheap and easy to install; I think mine was less than $50 or at the most less than $100. Makes things real easy; especially when you're trying to do it in the rain/snow and your "neighbors" won't answer the door when they see you coming
Old 12-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #4

I have a friend that says when he is setting up or getting ready to leave he tries to hurry before people walk over and try to help...[emoji4] .

I can use the mirrors and get out and look and do better than having 7 guys helping. Once people were waiting for me to arrive at a seasonal RV Park where I was in a Clique' . Anyway 7 people helping, I never did get the 5th wheel backed in the way I wanted it...until a few days later when people were gone
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #5

There are probably people around that would help at a campground but I suggest you practice doing it somewhere with an experienced helper the first few times. Like riding a bike its really not that hard once you get the hang of it.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #6

Generally speaking, I like to have everything hooked up and ready to go before I ask the Mrs. for help. (Domestic Tranquility ) Use a backup camera and take your time. Take a look around for the tennis ball gizmos that help when lining up the hitch to the trailer. Frankly, I would be more concerned about backing up the trailer into the site than hook up.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
GOAL - Get Out And Look.

Back up a bit. Put the tow vehicle in park. Take a look. Repeat as necessary. A couple of inches in the right direction is better than a foot in the wrong direction.

I've been hooking up to trailers for 30 years and I STILL get out and look every time even though my tow vehicle has a very passable integrated backup camera.

I figure it's better to look silly by getting in and out of my vehicle than look stupid by hitting something because I was too proud/lazy to get out and have a glance.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #8

Go to Home Depot and pickup a driveway marker and stick it in the coupler release on the trailer. When you pull up on the coupler release there’s enough space to stick a thin driveway marker in the hole it creates from being pulled up. Markers come up to 48”. Seeing it through your rear view will allow you to center up on the hitch. Should also give you a sense of how far back you need to come. Just a thought!!
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
They make magnetic poles that you stick one on the trailer hitch and one on the ball, I used to use them on my boat trailer (my wife wasn't interested in helping me hook up the boat at 5 am).
Old 12-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #10

Even better.. when you knock the pole off the ball you’re lined up perfectly.
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I wouldn't 'count' on someone to be there to help!

RV'ers need to be self sufficient!
Old 12-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
As a general rule, RV'rs are quite helpful. Look helpless & someone will come.

However, you really need to learn how to do this yourself. It's not hard to do. I learned to do it for all the RV's we've owned (TT/SUV, 5-r/truck, motorhome/toad).

There may come a time when there's no one around to help & the person who wants in your site because they have the reservation will not be happy you haven't vacated it.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It's easy to do by yourself, it's just easier with a spotter. If that spotter is your spouse, and she is -- how do we say it -- way more beauty than brains, sometimes it's BETTER to back it in by "your own stoopid self, you jerk", as my beautiful half once suggested. I use my mirors to get centered, and back in till I feel close, hoping to be about 2 feet away. I put it in park, set the park brake, open the driver's door, get out and go look at the alignment and distance. I use my hands to force my brain to SEE the distance. I figure in my mind the amount of turn to put in the wheel to get the ball centered under the coupler. I make sure my coupler is above my ball by a good amount, not even close. I get back in the truck, stand on the foot brake and release the park brake. I do not close the door. I crank the wheel what I think might be enough, then I look left, out the door, on to the ground where it meets my runningboard. I plan the distance the ground needs to go against my runningboard. Then I release my foot brake slightly while still looking left at the ground, and back the planned distance, like till that pebble on the ground is against that scratch on the runningboard. Once planned distance is covered, I stand on the foot brake, set the park brake, and get out to check the coupler/ball alignment. It may take a few tries, but you get better real fast. You don't have to be "right above", half a ball width is close enough. Crank it down to just set the coupler on the ball and use your foot against the trailer tongue to push it on. When it drops on, say "BOOM" to yourself, and continue to crank it down.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I always found tha even if I’m not having any issue, but just look like I am, someone will usually come over to see if they can help. RVers always seem to pitch in to help.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote